Just off Jewel 12/12-12/18 Review

psternklar

Just got off JOS 12/12 – 12/18 Western Caribbean cruise. This was our (myself, wife and 11y/o daughter) 2nd cruise, 1st was Enchantment. Here is the review.

12/11: One night in Comfort Suites. Hotel was dirty, front desk staff was rude. The “free shuttle” from the airport took 40 mins. to get us. The free shuttle to the port was booked until 2pm, we took a cab, $14 including tip. Would not stay there again.

12/12: Embarkation. Got to the port at 10:45. Ship was not yet cleared. Was on the ship by 11:20, our cabin (9076, D1) was ready at 12:40 when we got there after Windjammer lunch. Sail away was fun. Dinner at Tides, table 514 was good. No service problems. Food was good, not “fantastic” but good. The show was a comic that I did not find funny.

12/13: Key West: Took a cab to the south end of Duval street and walked back. Had fun at the Butterfly museus. Had a blast at “Peppers of the Keys” on Green St. The show was a singer and was great.

12/14: Cozumel: Walked around and shopped. Had great food at Pancho’s Backyard. Was busy but worth the wait. Show was a production number and was very good.

12/15: Costa Maya: The port area was like “Disney does Mexico”. Was fun though. Did not make it into town because of rain. Show was “The Happenings”. Not my type of music but they put on a good show.

12/16: Sea Day: Bad weather, 60 mph winds and cold rain. Went to the Solarium for a while. It was beautiful. Saw “school of Rock” in the cinema. The Ocean Adventure (kids’ program) had a talent show which was fun. While it was not the best “cruise day” it beat a day at work. Show was a FANTASTIC production number. Played “Quest” game show. I’m still laughing.

12/17: Nassau: I do not know why there is so much negativity towards Nassau. The people were friendly. The Straw Market was fun; yes the vendors were pushy but that’s part of the fun. It was safe and the vendors liked to banter. Did the Blackbeards Stingray swim and had a ball! I know it is not like the GC swim but we all had a blast. Show was a fairwell show and Gauchos from Argentina. Was fairly good but not great.

12/18: We were among the last off the ship, our flight was at 4pm. There was a 20 min wait to clear customs. No problem getting a cab to the airport.

Final Thoughts: The ship was clean and beautiful. I did not experience the problems with service or food others have posted. The staff worked hard at making our cruise enjoyable. The CD was not as good as Matt Baker but did a fine job. The Adventure Ocean staff were great with my daughter. Any questions, just ask.

-Phil

Phil,

Glad to hear you had a great cruise and thanks for the detailed review day by day. We leave next week and can't wait.

I was wondering.... can you drop off your carry-on luggage in your room when you board even if it's not ready or do you have to carry it around with you?

Is there anything to do in Costa Maya if you don't want to go to the beach?

Thanks again. :)

Hi SF,

Wish I could go back! There was a place to drop carry-ons but we just took them with us to Windjammer. The room may have been ready before 12:40 but we did not even try untill then. If you have any more questions just ask, enjoy your cruise!!

-Phil

I forgot.. Costa Maya port area had about 30 shops and restaurants. There was an 90 min long dance show that was fun. Check out the ports of call threads on Costa Maya.

-Phil

Also just returned from 12/12- 12/18 JOS Costa Maya is quaint. Very early in it's development. The immediate port area is new and clean. Took a cab to Mahajual sp? Maybe a three minute ride. Many vendors, good deals. The streets are sand and it is probably just like a small mexican village is. People very friendly. You can tell it is just starting to grow, not a lot to do, not many "places". Beach is small and narrow. Over all it is quaint, small townish. No Cozumel by any means, not really good or bad thing, it is what it is... a small fishing village.

Rest of cruise was great. Beautiful ship, great staff, good quality food in both windjammer and Tides dining room. Shows were all very good, I think we have ssen the comdeian before, recongnized some of the jokes...

The music and dance always top notch.

Ria

Thank you both for all the information. We'll probably just check out the shops at the dock and in town. The dance show sounds interesting as well. Is it at any special time and in what location?

Counting down the days.......

Hi SF,

The show is in the ampitheatre at various times which are posted, I think 4 times a day. You can't miss the ampitheatre. When you get into the shop area look to your left. If weather allowed I would have liked to the town. Do you have room in your suitcase for a stowaway???

Enjoy.

-Phil

Archived