What's the best way to upload the daily Celebrity schedule?

harryfat1

Hi,

I have a question for the tech savvy cruisers out there.

My fellow co-worker has come back from the Infinity Alaska cruise and per my request, she has brought back the daily cruise schedule. I think having something like this would be helpful to other soon-to-be Alaska cruisers to plan ahead as per the large demand from the Alaska board on request for info for the RCI compass.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1006121

So my question is how do I upload PDF files onto the internet for general viewing? I know there are many photo web sites out there that accept photo uploads for photo sharing, but they don’t accept PDF format files, they only accept jpeg or other photo related attachments. In theory I can take picture of every single page and upload the pictures, but it’s much easier for me to just scan them as PDF and uploading them.

Perhaps my first question should be – is there an existing site that currently houses the various Celebrity daily programs? I know for Carnival, there’s an external site that people upload their Carnival capers to, but don’t know if one exists for Celebrity. If one exists, I can just upload the files in there and provide the link for everyone to see.

Assuming no such web site exists for Celebrity and if someone has an idea on how to do this in a not overwhelming complex technical way, I am willing to do this. If not, then I will just start a new thread like the RCI post above and see if anyone wants a copy, I will email them the attachment instead.

Thanks,

In most cases, your ISP (internet service provider) gives you a certain amount of 'personal web space' that you can use for something just like this. For instance AT&T has personal web space, as does WOW (wide open west), and I'm pretty sure comcast does as well.

You would simply upload the file to your personal web space, and provide the link here.

For instance, your link might wind up looking like this (do not click on this link it will be invalid!) :

http://home.att.net/~harryfat1/infinityschedule.pdf

Most users will already have the pdf viewer installed and it should simply open the file in the pdf viewer.

Ceck your ISP web site for details on how to do the upload.

photobucket.com will allow you to post PDF files. Once you post them there, go to each photo and below that you will see several options. Highlight the direct link then use the insert image link on the reply to thread toolbar to insert it into your post. It will put the image directly into the post much larger than using the manage attachments below. PDF files are much smaller than a JPEG would be.

When you reply to a thread on Cruise Critic, click on the Paperclip icon. Then an attachment box will pop up and you can upload the file (in PDF form) from your computer. Voila! It will be attached to this thread :)

You may have to upload separate files for each day because there is a maximum size allowed per PDF.

Hi,

I have a question for the tech savvy cruisers out there.

My fellow co-worker has come back from the Infinity Alaska cruise and per my request, she has brought back the daily cruise schedule. I think having something like this would be helpful to other soon-to-be Alaska cruisers to plan ahead as per the large demand from the Alaska board on request for info for the RCI compass.

Harry,

You ROCK!! I was going to ask you to check with her if she saved them. That is so awesome. Somebody that sailed on the first trip out posted them on his own personal webpage (but he's a computer guy from Seattle)

Here's his webpage:

http://www.mikehelmick.com/

I went through the blog, pictures, videos, etc. The only thing is, this was the cruise that left Seattle later at night (first one after the repositioning cruise)

Hope you get those uploaded, would love to see more.

When you reply to a thread on Cruise Critic, click on the Paperclip icon. Then an attachment box will pop up and you can upload the file (in PDF form) from your computer. Voila! It will be attached to this thread :)

You may have to upload separate files for each day because there is a maximum size allowed per PDF.

Thanks.

I know about the attachment link, but as you said, there's a size limit and each day out of the 7 day cruise is around 1.5 MB each in PDF size, which amounts to 10+ MB for the entire set. So the attachment method may work for smaller files, but since I am scanning every day, I need other options.

Somewhat surprised there is no central location for Celebrity daily schedule out there somewhere.

Thanks.

I know about the attachment link, but as you said, there's a size limit and each day out of the 7 day cruise is around 1.5 MB each in PDF size, which amounts to 10+ MB for the entire set. So the attachment method may work for smaller files, but since I am scanning every day, I need other options.

Somewhat surprised there is no central location for Celebrity daily schedule out there somewhere.

You could try my suggestion of saving as a .jpg file - this usually shrinks a file size right down. I'm not sure how clear the detail would be though.

You could try my suggestion of saving as a .jpg file - this usually shrinks a file size right down. I'm not sure how clear the detail would be though.

What version of Adobe Acrobat do you have? I only have the free version 8.1.2. When I try to save an existing PDF file, I can only save it in the PDF format, not jpg. The "save as" only give me the option of pdf extension.

Yeah, I know, I am clueless. I am CPA by trade, so I am a numbers guy, not tech oriented. So if you or someone can walk me through the steps on how to do this in adobe acrobat, that would be easier.

In the meantime, whomever out there wants PDF copy of the Celebrity Infinity cruise daily schedule from 6/19 to 6/26, give me your email below and I will send it to you. Should be around 13 MB, so be sure your email provider accepts the size limit. I use yahoo email and the limit there is 25 MB.

photobucket.com will allow you to post PDF files. Once you post them there, go to each photo and below that you will see several options. Highlight the direct link then use the insert image link on the reply to thread toolbar to insert it into your post. It will put the image directly into the post much larger than using the manage attachments below. PDF files are much smaller than a JPEG would be.

Donna,

Thanks for the tip. I have an existing account with photo bucket, but when I try to upload the files, it's not recognizing the PDF files. Do you have an premium account or basic account? I only have the free basic account and it only sees the pictures files in the directory, not the PDF files.

What version of Adobe Acrobat do you have? I only have the free version 8.1.2. When I try to save an existing PDF file, I can only save it in the PDF format, not jpg. The "save as" only give me the option of pdf extension.

Yeah, I know, I am clueless. I am CPA by trade, so I am a numbers guy, not tech oriented. So if you or someone can walk me through the steps on how to do this in adobe acrobat, that would be easier.

In the meantime, whomever out there wants PDF copy of the Celebrity Infinity cruise daily schedule from 6/19 to 6/26, give me your email below and I will send it to you. Should be around 13 MB, so be sure your email provider accepts the size limit. I use yahoo email and the limit there is 25 MB.

I don't actually have Adobe - I use a Mac so it opens PDF files in Preview. I'm sure my husband would know the answer to this - he is a computer wizz unlike me

It might be easiest to just rescan the dailies. I assume you used a scanner to get them into the pdf format, try rescanning and have the scanner save them as a jpeg (some scanners have to be told it's a photo you're scanning to get it to give you that option). Then you can post them on your photo sitel.

Hope this works,

Juli

I would like a copy. I can also see if I can upload them for you.

fateknows@gmail.com

Thank-you.

It might be easiest to just rescan the dailies. I assume you used a scanner to get them into the pdf format, try rescanning and have the scanner save them as a jpeg (some scanners have to be told it's a photo you're scanning to get it to give you that option). Then you can post them on your photo sitel.

Hope this works,

Juli

That's a good idea. Hadn't thought about that.

I scanned it through the work copier that doubles as scanner and the only format it allows is PDF. The copier then saves the PDF version and sends the file via email to my work address, which I forward back to my personal email and I am done.

My personal scanner at home can do jpg, but it's slow and it'll be time consuming to scan the 40 plus pages (I scanned everything she brought back - just in case someone is interested in sales stuff). Someone else from our August 14 sailing has volunteered to convert the PDF version to jpg on Monday, so I will see if that can be done by early next week.

Yeah, besides being clueless, I am also lazy.

In the meantime, I will just email the files to whomever wants them until I upload the jpg files middle of next week.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I would like a copy. I can also see if I can upload them for you.

fateknows@gmail.com

Thank-you.

Done. Sent about 10 minutes ago. Let me know if you don't receive them. Per my previous post, someone else on our cruise is going to convert the files on Monday, so it's up to you if you want to try it on your own or wait.

Thanks for the offer to help.

• 3 weeks later...
You could try uploading your pdf files to Google docs. PDF files are supported there.

http://www.google.com/google-d-s/intl/en/tour1.html

Very cool. Thanks for the info.

Now that another cruiser is going to upload his info from a more recent trip, there is less need for my info as that info is more current. Maybe I will upload into Google after I scan the August daily when I get back.

Another thing I hope to do is scan the dinner menus from every night and upload that, so it'll be a complete set for future cruisers to view. Assuming I remember to request a menu as I waddle out of the dining room...

Archived