getting to whittier

#1survivorfan

First of all.....sooooo sorry for asking this question....I know it's been asked a million times but it's much easier to ask the specific question than search through a lot of threads.

Right now I have a car reserved through Avis...pick up at Anchorage airport and then drop off in Whittier. But I am considering returning the car in Anchorage to save some $$. What are the options to get from the Anchorage airport to Whittier? I will be leaving Seward early in the morning and should have plenty of time to drop off the car, make the transfer and then embark the ship. I know there are many experts out there that have done this and would appreciate your advice and experience.

There are ship contracted buses, independent buses/vans, Alaska RR- IF you are in Anchorage early??? listings http://www.anchorage.net You need to allow 3 hours for the drive Seward/Anchorage, plus.

This is a poor touring choice use of time, so be certain, this is how you want to spend your time in Alaska. These is plenty else you could be considering in and between each of Seward and Whittier.

First of all.....sooooo sorry for asking this question....I know it's been asked a million times but it's much easier to ask the specific question than search through a lot of threads.

Right now I have a car reserved through Avis...pick up at Anchorage airport and then drop off in Whittier. But I am considering returning the car in Anchorage to save some $$. What are the options to get from the Anchorage airport to Whittier? I will be leaving Seward early in the morning and should have plenty of time to drop off the car, make the transfer and then embark the ship. I know there are many experts out there that have done this and would appreciate your advice and experience.

It's an Hour to an Hour and a Half to get from Anchorage to Whittier, thru the one-way tunnel. There are the cruiseline (and independent) Motorcoach (around $60pp) and Rail (around $90pp) transfers. ken

Personally I would not make the trip back to Anchorage to drop a car on a cruise departure day. Too many things can go wrong. Believe me things can happen on the highway and shut things down or cause massive delays.

If you are thinking how long it would take you to drive that far in your home area, think again. Alaska doesn't work that way.

I've made the same drive countless times. Most of the time all went well, but now and then something happened to slow things down or bring traffic to a stop.

Missing your own ship is not a good thing!

We booked a ride through the Magic Bus company from Anchorage to Whittier. It was great-clean, plenty of luggage space, and we got all sorts of info from the driver AND saw 2 young grizzlies in the mudflats on the way! Great tour/ride!

Archived