Anyone know a tour guide for Valparaiso/Santiago Chile

smeyer418

I went with Michael, the German Pirate. He is fantastic. Ex-pats make great guides because they love where they are but know where you are coming from. He showed me a Chilean coast and a Valpo I could never have found for myself - and I am a travel writer used to finding my own stuff. And his rates are ridiculously reasonable. You can find his email at http://www.myvalparaiso.com

Andrea

Thanks for any suggestions...

We were in Valparaiso for a full day between cruise segments in April/09 & spent 7 hours covering the city by foot & public transit with Michael the German Pirate. We did the usual suspects that are well-advertised (Paseo 21 de Mayo; Concepcion & Ascensor Artilleria; Open Air Museum; La Sebastiana - Pablo Neruda House). We also had several impromptu experiences/visits that were unexpected & delightful.

We initially planned to also visit Vina Del Mar but once we got going we opted to stay in Valparaiso for the full day. It’s a fascinating place! Overall, we had a terrific (albeit exhausting) day with the German Pirate. :):)

http://myvalparaiso.cl/eng/home.htm

• 1 month later...

You could try winetoursvalparaiso michael@winetoursvalparaiso.cl

Level 1 Sommelier from London does tours from port through the casablanca valley then drops you off at your aiport or Hotel. we had a really great time with him it was like taking a tour witha friend who you the area, i highly recomend him and you should look at his website and blog www.winetoursvalparaiso.cl

We are also months away from our cruise in January, 2010, but I have communicated with Michael by both email and telephone and based on all the others who have recommended him and my own conversations with him, I have been very impressed. He seems to care a great deal about making sure that your time with him is well spent. When he called, he asked a number of questions and even asked me where we were staying in Vina so he could drop off some materials prior to our tour date. It was also terrific to actually speak with him via telephone, which he had explained in an email he tries to do with all of his clients prior to their arrival. After we travel, I'll write a full report on our tour of Valparaiso.

Linda

If you end your cruise in Santiago, Chile, sometimes the cruise line can book you on an all day tour of Santiago, the winery and some city highlights and then you end up at the airport with all your baggage delivered there for you waiting for you. We did this on the Norweigan Sun and glad that we did because I think our flight did not leave until like 9:00 PM so we would have had to wait for like 12 hrs. at the airport with nothing to do so glad we signed up for the ships excursion. I am sure that you can gook other private tours with it ending at the airport cheaper but just letting you know that that is what we did. :):):):)

Thanks for any suggestions...

We have also booked with the German Pirate for Mar 14. He phoned me to ask about our preferences and made lots of suggestions to be sure that our tour would be to our liking. He is eager to please and will do the tour including vina Del Mar for 2 people for $ 60 total. Much is using public transit in Valpo. This includes a pickup at the cruise terminal and taking us to our hotel to check in beforehand. Not bad for a full day tour.

Archived