Glacier Bay or Hubbard..

rsingleton

Let's try to get this thread back on track...

I am also trying to weed thru possible cruise itineraries.

What we need is not just personal preference, but a good comparison.

Would this be a fair/somewhat correct assessment of the two sites.

Glacier Bay - broad spectacular scenery, smaller glaciers/access The draw is in the broader experience.

Hubbard Glacier - a narrower focus on one huge glacier....

If this is true, then I would tend to choose glacier bay.

But, I can also see the draw of such a mammoth glacier.

A complete PS: to the one other poster... I am really NOT trying to continue the HAL debate.... But, I just wanted to mention.. From my understanding, I completely agree with you that I might hesitate to choose HAL. Just reading the reviews and looking at ships photos, etc... It is NOT just demographics (number of children onboard) It is a palpable difference in the attitude, atmosphere, and offerings between HAL and some of the other lines.

I have sailed both several times, both are extremely worthwhile and give you what they do, the particular day you are there. No "best" in my opinion, just preferences, based on past experiences. ALL good.

The HAL point is over, for this poster- it isn't going to "work" for them. Their ideas don't mesh with HAL. So, they'll pick something else and have a great time.

I've been to Alaska twice, and both times we cruised Glacier Bay. It is spectacular, magnificent, and both times we got right up there next to it and saw it in all it's glory.

However, in one month we are going back for our third Alaskan cruise (doing the land tour portion this time as well), and we are going to be seeing the Hubbard Glacier. And I'm just as equally excited to see it, because I'm sure there will be something just as beautiful and magnificent about it, too.

To me, you see something new in Alaska's beauty every time you go. I just shake my head in awe of God's wonderful creation, because I can't imagine a place so beautiful anywhere else. And so, I'm sure I'll be able to judge my thoughts on the difference between the two glaciers when I get back in August, but to me, it's all pure glory and whether you choose Hubbard or Glacier Bay, you are going to be amazed. I wouldn't make a cruise choice based on that. You will be in awe at Alaska's beauty no matter which place you go.

rsingleton

we just got back from a week on zuiderdam. there were many kids of all ages. the younger ones (maybe up to 12?) were all in club HAL and when we sw them on deck in glacier bay, they were out swarming Mooserdam (the big costumed moose on deck for pix) and seemed to be having fun too. The older kids (teens of all ages) seemed to find each other and hang together and all seemed to be having fun (at least, they were smiling and talking to each other).

As to pools, I would have to say the kids dominated the pool the whole cruise, so no worries there. they also made ample use of the whirlpools.

Not sure how old your daughter is, but check and see if there is a HAL roll call for the cruise your are thinking about and see if others are bringing kids. maybe if they can "meet" before you go, it will make it easier.

Personally, I don't think there will be any problem, so go for it!!

I think I am seeing some itineraries on Princess that do both Glacier Bay AND Hubbard.

In case anybody is interested.

those itineraries are for 2010 on their Southbound itineraries. That will be one amazing cruise!!!!

thanks for all replies. I wasn't intending for this post to get into a conversation about kids programs, but it seems to have :)

When i've looked at other ships, even in alaska not the carribean, they have things such as kinds only pool area (didn't see it on HAL), kids reserved play room (doesn't have reserved space on HAL, use open areas), policies of kids programs (i.e can i drop them off and for how long, do they have sleepovers, does it costs). in HAL I didn't see as much flexibility as some of the others. ALso, the amount of kids specific activities based on age groups. The thing I loved most about princess was fresh water pools. My daughter hates salt water pools. I have read only princess has those, along with retractable domes. Some have water slides (albeit small, but part of the reserved kids only pool area).

I'm definitely not knocking HAL, i'm just trying to put everything in perspective based on the various reviews i've read.. And I have been reading the reviews specific to the alaska cruises and not carribean

thanks for all the comments from everyone, they are helpful

What did you decide to do?

Let me toss another log on the fire in this debate.

It is true that HAL has a reputation for catering a bit to the older passengers, being a bit more laid back, a bit more elegant, a bit finer art, a bit more European in dining. My experience would confirm all these things as true.

Is this a bad thing? No, it is a very good thing! Adults will find HAL to be a ship much more to their tastes, I believe. The pace is not quite so frantic, the cruise director not quite so energetic, the pool games not quite so foolish. HAL is one of our very favorite lines and does a marvelous job in Alaska.

But what about kids? As many have noted, there is normally a good complement of kids aboard HAL in the summer. We travelled with a couple of teens and they had a great time in the teen program. But ... the kids are definitely not allowed to take over the ship.

Is this a bad thing? No, it is a very good thing! Kids do not have to get the idea that the entire world is run for them and everything that happens is suposed to be exciting for kids. Sitting on the deck and watching the ocean roll by might elicit groans of "I'm bored!" from today's kids, but it is not a bad thing for them to experience.

Personally I do not think that making a choice for Alaska based on full time frenetic entertainment for kids is the wise way to go. I would suggest that considering the whole family and expecting the kids to share the family vacation with the family is the best way. In that case, HAL might or might not be the best choice. But rejecting it because "HAL is not good for kids" does not make sense to me.

JMHO. YMMV.

Mike, I agree with you, but the OP isn't drawn to HAL's style.

There's a cruise line I haven't tried and don't want to try. No matter how many people say its "great", I suspect my bias would make me miserable, no matter how wonderful the cruise.

Like Budget Queen, I think we should leave the OP alone on the HAL thing.

We went to Glacier Bay on Coral Princess last week. It was SPECTACULAR! We watched the Margerie glacier calve nonstop for about 45 minutes...it was awesome! Nothing can describe the beauty....! Bring a good camera and video if you have one! Wow...is all I can say!

Archived