Messina Sicily - any suggestions?

JustAnOrdinaryGirl

The beach is fabulous here! We did a ship's beach transfer on Royal Caribbean and had a fabulous day. There is a lot of sightseeing to be done on this trip and its nice to have one relaxing beach day.

Hi HFTB:

Where was the beach excursion hosted? Was it at a hotel? Also, was there opportunity to go jet skiing? Really appreciate your help.

Best,

Kate

Yes, we were there last month (took a cab from Messina to Taormina to spend 2.5 hours in Taormina at the cost of 25 Euros per person with 4 in the cab) and recommend the Rick Steves Italy 2009 book for Taormina. We had visited Taormina 10 years earlier and only found those beautiful! gardens through the Rick Steves guide.

Happy travels,

Donna

Donna, is the 25Euro/pp cost for the whole trip? meaning the drive to Taormina, staying there for 2.5 hours and drive back to the port? The port review page for Taormina said the taxi cost is 30Euro for 6 people. Maybe that is very old information, or that is a different port than where you were. thanks.

Paula,

Sorry you had to be the one to open this post. Looks like someone was having a bad day. We will be in Messina in Oct, and have done some on line searching, for things to do. One thing that I have seen as a universally agreed to fact is, use the trains when you can. Every guide book agreees that the trains in Italy are dependable, and get you where you need to go.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Please come back and give u some tips.

Gail :)

Gail - thank you so much - that choked me up! I really didnt mean to offfend anyone and some people have put some lovely supportive comments on. Thank you so much!

• 3 weeks later...

I can't find much info and feedback regarding Mt. Etna. Is it worth it to visit? We are planning to get to Taormina, but can we really see the city as well as make it to Mt. Etna?

ANyone have any thoughts?

What about costs to get up there?

Thanks!

• 4 years later...

We were just in Messina with the Carnival Sunshine. Our group of 8 did a tour with Sicily Life and it was wonderful! Our guide Antonio was so knowledgeable about the area. We visited several small villages and also made a stop in the countryside to see the river and waterfalls going through the lava rock. The best part was a stop at a winery where we sat in a beautiful garden and enjoyed platters of cheese, salami, olives, sausages and bread. And tasted 4 delicious wines. I live by the CA wine country and I wish we did wine tasting like this in the states! We ended the day in Taormina which was beautiful too. Can't say enough about how wonderful our tour was with Sicily Life. I definitely want to go back and spend more time in Sicily now.

Kim

Archived