Messina Sicily - any suggestions?

JustAnOrdinaryGirl

Hi

Im docking here 10-6 in September. Think I'd probably pick something beachy here (unless someone wows with me another option).... so can anyone recommend anywhere nearby?

Would prefer not to do ship excursion but dont want to spend a lot of money/time/hassle getting somewhere.

Any suggestions?

As always THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

Paula

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. To post NINE separate threads for each of your ports is way over the top. Do a little research by using the "Search this Forum" tools--put in each port and you can get all kinds of info.

You are basically asking strangers, who know absolutely nothing about you or your preferences, to plan your whole vacation for you. My other suggestion would be a good guidebook, like Rick Steves' series.

The web is a veritiable font of information as well. If you end up with specific questions about a particular port, like "which bus do I take to get to Eze from Villefranche," then come back and post here again.

Cathy

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. To post NINE separate threads for each of your ports is way over the top. Do a little research by using the "Search this Forum" tools--put in each port and you can get all kinds of info.

You are basically asking strangers, who know absolutely nothing about you or your preferences, to plan your whole vacation for you. My other suggestion would be a good guidebook, like Rick Steves' series.

The web is a veritiable font of information as well. If you end up with specific questions about a particular port, like "which bus do I take to get to Eze from Villefranche," then come back and post here again.

Cathy

Gosh Cathy such attitude! I am actually new to this and I thought that it would be the correct thing to do so that people with good knowledge could recommend places. If you dont like my threads then please dont read them - I certainly didnt mean to offend.

Some of the best places I have been to have been via recommendation and there are some lovely people in this world willing to share their wonderful experiences.

I of course am going to use the internet to research and I cant afford to buy books for every port.

Maybe in future you would prefer not to read my questions if it upsets you so much!

Cathy

PS thanks for the tip on the search button - I didnt know about that so of course will use that.

And no I am not asking anyone to plan my holiday for me - I am more than capable of doing that with help from nice people on life experiences!

Enjoy and be happy.

Fodors European Ports of Call is a great book with clear, practical information on each port. It has everything that you need to know about transportation, sites, activities, places to eat etc. It's one book and you can take it with you everywhere you go. We find this very helpful when planning our cruises.

I agree, Taormina is a lovely relaxing place to spend your day. The views from the historic Greco-Roman theater there are tremendous, as well as those from the lovely public gardens. Just wandering around the town is very pleasant.

Fodors European Ports of Call is a great book with clear, practical information on each port. It has everything that you need to know about transportation, sites, activities, places to eat etc. It's one book and you can take it with you everywhere you go. We find this very helpful when planning our cruises.

Oh excellent thank you - I will go see if I can find that. I do love reading and researching but you always need somewhere to start and this perfect - thank you!

Cathy

This is rude :confused:

Mount Etna and Taurmina

http://www.sicilyguide.com/sights/mount_etna.htm

Enjoy sicily :)

I agree, Taormina is a lovely relaxing place to spend your day. The views from the historic Greco-Roman theater there are tremendous, as well as those from the lovely public gardens. Just wandering around the town is very pleasant.
Yes, we were there last month (took a cab from Messina to Taormina to spend 2.5 hours in Taormina at the cost of 25 Euros per person with 4 in the cab) and recommend the Rick Steves Italy 2009 book for Taormina. We had visited Taormina 10 years earlier and only found those beautiful! gardens through the Rick Steves guide.

Happy travels,

Donna

Yes, we were there last month (took a cab from Messina to Taormina to spend 2.5 hours in Taormina at the cost of 25 Euros per person with 4 in the cab) and recommend the Rick Steves Italy 2009 book for Taormina. We had visited Taormina 10 years earlier and only found those beautiful! gardens through the Rick Steves guide.

Happy travels,

Donna

The Rick Steves' 2009 Italy guidebook does not cover any sights in Sicily. We use Rick Steves' guidebooks for all of our European travel, so I actually had to do some more homework by going to our public library and looking at the Fodor's guidebooks.

Pam, are you sure about the Rick Steves guide not having info on Sicily? (We left our copy in the library on the Royal Princess for others to enjoy.) I guess you are sure, or you wouldn't have posted that message. Since it's not in the Steves guide, I hope someone will post the source of the walking tour that we took because those gardens are not that easy to find (you have to walk down from the main street).

Happy travels,

Donna

Hi

Im docking here 10-6 in September. Think I'd probably pick something beachy here (unless someone wows with me another option).... so can anyone recommend anywhere nearby?

Would prefer not to do ship excursion but dont want to spend a lot of money/time/hassle getting somewhere.

Any suggestions?

As always THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

Paula

Paula,

Sorry you had to be the one to open this post. Looks like someone was having a bad day. We will be in Messina in Oct, and have done some on line searching, for things to do. One thing that I have seen as a universally agreed to fact is, use the trains when you can. Every guide book agreees that the trains in Italy are dependable, and get you where you need to go.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Please come back and give u some tips.

Gail :)

Pam, are you sure about the Rick Steves guide not having info on Sicily? (We left our copy in the library on the Royal Princess for others to enjoy.) I guess you are sure, or you wouldn't have posted that message. Since it's not in the Steves guide, I hope someone will post the source of the walking tour that we took because those gardens are not that easy to find (you have to walk down from the main street).

Happy travels,

Donna

Donna, yes, I am sure. Our copy is sitting right here by my computer because the spouse on weekends slowly is labelling the 1,200 pictures he took on our June Athens to Rome cruise and consulting it often.

Also, I did make a trip to the library to get out a Fodor's (Sicily?) book to decide how to spend our day in Taormina. I had heard about the Greco-Roman theater, but that was all. The Fodor's book is where I got the information on the gardens originally planted by an ex-mistress of Edward VIII who was pensioned off to get her out of England, and then married (a Sicilian?) and settled in Taomina.

Yes, it is a walk down from the main street, but you and I agree that the fabulous views were definitely worth it!

Also, I did make a trip to the library to get out a Fodor's (Sicily?) book to decide how to spend our day in Taormina. I had heard about the Greco-Roman theater, but that was all. The Fodor's book is where I got the information on the gardens originally planted by an ex-mistress of Edward VIII who was pensioned off to get her out of England, and then married (a Sicilian?) and settled in Taomina.
Yes, that all sounds familiar, so I'm sure we had our info from Fodors too. Our tour mates for the day said that she wanted to stay in the Villa and just read a book for a week. I guess I'm just remembering the other Steves walking tours we used in Santa Margherita Ligure and elsewhere (can't even remember now because it's been a long day!). Very beautiful gardens in Taormina! I'm glad you found it too and hope others will as well.

Happy travels,

Donna

Unfortunately, while Rick Steves does have a show on Sicily (recently aired on my local station), his Italy book doesn't cover either Sicily or Sardinia. It's a shame!

Happy travels,

Donna

Hello: So pleased to get info from you re taxi to Taormina. Did you get taxi at port in Messina ...if so where...outside port gates or? Were there many people wanting to join up to share taxi (we will be 2). Did you have to haggle!!! We spent a week in Taormina 9 years ago ...it is a magical place with fab views of Mt Etna and do get off the main street and discover the lovely little side streets and houses and restaurants. It is a small place so 2-1/2 hours to 3 is enough so stroll along at a leisurely pace. Prices are high tho ....you can do better in Messina if you are after souvenirs.

The beach is fabulous here! We did a ship's beach transfer on Royal Caribbean and had a fabulous day. There is a lot of sightseeing to be done on this trip and its nice to have one relaxing beach day.

Hopingforthebest - Which beach are you refering to ? We are thinking a beach day at this stage of our cruise would be a good choice !! :cool:

thanks

We are visiting Sicily on our 1st ever cruise this August - docking at Messina. Although I've been doing much research and planning since we are inclined to to DIY rather than organised tours, DH is still somewhat nervous on travelling too great a distance from the ship incase we encounter problems getting back on time. I'm hoping that since Sicily is one of our last ports he will have got used to the concept of venturing out a little.

But just incase he hasn't, and I can't get him to travel the 1+ hour on the bus /train to Taormina and back does anybody know or can recommend any beaches not so far from Messina - or indeed what you can do in port for the day ??

Thanks All

Fig

Don't forget to have a walk over to the clock tower, You can find it around the back of the buildings where the ship docks. There is a very nice church by the clock tower.

ps, noon is a great time to see the clock come to full life.

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/2712079.html

This is the exact info I needed--thanks...we have a morning tour to taormina but want to get some lunch by the dock & definitely see this famous clock!

Archived