Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

We will be vacationing in Stockholm at the same time as our friends are arriving on a cruise ship for the day. We would like to pick them up from the ship dock (Stadesgarden 167) in our rental car. Does anyone know if we can drive up to the passenger area to pick them up or do we have to park somewhere and walk up to greet them?

Any suggestions on how to do this and where to meet would be much appreciated!

PS: This thread is wonderful! Thanks for all the great advice on places to see and things to do while we are there!

Yes you can drive up to near the gate to the secure area where the cruise ships dock. Look for the Viking Line terminal, that will be the parking area, you will be able to see the ship at Stadsgården 167 from there. I would not really try to park and leave the car if I were you since you just want to pick them up. Just pull up as close as you can and kind of stay with the vehicle, someone may ask you to move it. this is also where taxis hang out (mostly disreputable "black Taxi's"), but if you stay with the car and are ready to move if asked you should have no problem.

Enjoy,

Al

Edited by Al_Frescoe

bostoncruisegal,

Our ship docked at Frihamnen in the morning. We took a cab (4 people with 6 bags and back pack) from pier to Hilton (in Gamla Stan) for 220 SEK. Another cab wanted 600 SEK!

I emailed our hotel to ask for early check in and our room was ready in the morning so I didn't have to check our bags.

Stockholm is safe as we walked around late at night (afterall, it was still light out)! Taxi or walk, depending on how far your hotel is.

While we were there, World Cup was going on so everywhere was a party. The Swedes love their warm evenings and you will find lots of people everywhere. Lots of places to eat. Sorry I can't recommend any place.

We decided to try the smorgsbord at the Grand Hotel for the view and experience. Lots of outdoor cafes around.

Our hotel was close to HOHO boat, bus and metro. We bought the Stockholm card so all transportation was included as well as several sights. We took the HOHO a lot!

Skansen is a great place to visit to see what life was like long ago. People dress in period costume and you can go inside a bank, post office, home, etc.

I feel that a visit to the Vasa Museum is a must. It's hard to comprehend that a ship built in the 1600's sank on it's maiden voyage and remained under water for over 300 years before it was raised. I watched the movie and thought what an honor it would be to work on her restoration. I felt as if the men from the 1600's were talking to the restorers as well as the visitors. I was so impresssed and blown away.

As promised, here is the layout of S167.

ry%3D400

At the far left end at right angles to the main dock, is the HOHO boat jetty. There is a turnstile that apparently lets you off the quayside to the jetty, but you cannot use it. Everyone must go through port security by the white tent at the right. To get to the boats you must walk past the white and brown buildings and round behind the 2 coaches parked at the left.

ry%3D400

So there is the white tent! Once through it turn immediate left for shore excursion coaches and shuttle buses to the city...they line up by the chain link fence. Private tour taxis and minibuses were also in this area.

The 'hut' to the right of the tent is where you can buy your HOHO boat/bus tickets etc. They also sell souveniers, postcards and stamps and have a postbox on the wall. I think there was an ATM in there too, but I'm not sure. Anyone know? Walk across the lorry park to the right of the yellow trailers (across the zebra crossing) to another security gate by the white building. Turn left to the HOHO boats (and their ticket booths), turn right toward the Viking Terminal, buses and pedestrian route into town. There are coloured lines to follow...its all very easy! Boats start about 8.30, but do not start on their proper routes until around 10am. They go either to Gamla Stan or the Vasa to get the cruisers on their way. Just tell the guys where you want to go first and they will put you on the right boat.

Simon

Which city bus do I take to get from Stadsgarden 167 to the ferry that goes to Vasa. I'll be on the Eurodam on Mon. July 26

Look at my post (the one before yours). Just get the HOHO boat ticket in the hut. If you get the SEK180 ticket this includes entry to the Vasa. The boat drops you at the Vasa. When getting off the boat, go to the left of the Vasa museum in front of you to the entrance.

Simon

As Harry says, you can walk it...about 15 mins to all the ferry stops for Slussen, another 5 mins to the Gamla Stan stop.

Simon

Simon;

dropped my email on the copenhagen post, I also wanted to ride the Ho HO route around the harbour, eventually getting off at Gamla Stan, i was planning a local excrusion starting at 11:30 in Gamla Stan. I was then planning to walk down to the

Slussen and taking the Djursgarden ferry to Vasa, touring vasa and then going back to the ship. I assume above is doable, cheapest way to get around, type ticket?

Thanks

Bob

Simon;

dropped my email on the copenhagen post, I also wanted to ride the Ho HO route around the harbour, eventually getting off at Gamla Stan, i was planning a local excrusion starting at 11:30 in Gamla Stan. I was then planning to walk down to the

Slussen and taking the Djursgarden ferry to Vasa, touring vasa and then going back to the ship. I assume above is doable, cheapest way to get around, type ticket?

Thanks

Bob

http://www.stromma.se/en/Sightseeing/Stockholm/Boat-tours/Hop-on-Hop-off1/ has all the HOHO boat info. Click on 'map' in th black panel to get a layout of the routes. Basically, after about 10am when all the boats have been to S167 to put the cruisers either to Vasa or Gamla Stan, the 'normal' timetable will kick in. The Djurgarden 4 and Djurgarden 7 boats go in opposite directions round the loop, whilst the Delfin boat just goes clockwise (I think!!). There are HOHO boat people in yellow shirts at most stops; if no one is about, just ask the guys on the boat for advice. If you are berthing at S167, you can go along with your plan, but I would buy the SEK180 in the hut by the ship, as it will save you queuing later. This includes a free entry ticket to the Vasa. You can then either walk to Slussen and get a HOHO boat to Vasa (but it will do the stops on the way) or if you go before about 10am, go to the stop beside the cruise ship (follow the line on the road) and go straight to Vasa. I would recommend you do this. The lines at Vasa get long very quickly. It is best to go there first, get it out of the way, then use the HOHO boats to get you to the next place you want to visit. If you can get a boat to Vasa, by 9am (though 8.30 would be better), you should just about have time to get to Gamla Stan for 11.30

Simon

http://www.stromma.se/en/Sightseeing/Stockholm/Boat-tours/Hop-on-Hop-off1/ has all the HOHO boat info. Click on 'map' in th black panel to get a layout of the routes. Basically, after about 10am when all the boats have been to S167 to put the cruisers either to Vasa or Gamla Stan, the 'normal' timetable will kick in. The Djurgarden 4 and Djurgarden 7 boats go in opposite directions round the loop, whilst the Delfin boat just goes clockwise (I think!!). There are HOHO boat people in yellow shirts at most stops; if no one is about, just ask the guys on the boat for advice. If you are berthing at S167, you can go along with your plan, but I would buy the SEK180 in the hut by the ship, as it will save you queuing later. This includes a free entry ticket to the Vasa. You can then either walk to Slussen and get a HOHO boat to Vasa (but it will do the stops on the way) or if you go before about 10am, go to the stop beside the cruise ship (follow the line on the road) and go straight to Vasa. I would recommend you do this. The lines at Vasa get long very quickly. It is best to go there first, get it out of the way, then use the HOHO boats to get you to the next place you want to visit. If you can get a boat to Vasa, by 9am (though 8.30 would be better), you should just about have time to get to Gamla Stan for 11.30

Simon

Great info, but I was thinking that in the afternoon all the cruise ship visitors would be complete with VASA and I could take my time. I am not a shoopper so after the private excursion it would be time to move on no need to stay in Gamla S. Agree on the ticket SEK 180, but is the ferry that much different? Is the location for the ferry the same as the HOHO boat.

Thanks and I sent you the email.

Bob

Ultima Thule, North-bound, Al Frescoe (LOVE that name!), I am among your many fans on this board. What can you tell me about the Katarinahissen lift? Is it off the beaten path? Is there a charge for going up---or can you just ride up, snap some photos and head down? Any info you can give me will be appreciated.

Ultima Thule, North-bound, Al Frescoe (LOVE that name!), I am among your many fans on this board. What can you tell me about the Katarinahissen lift? Is it off the beaten path? Is there a charge for going up---or can you just ride up, snap some photos and head down? Any info you can give me will be appreciated.

Katarinahissen is something that in my mind could interest more cruise passengers. It is located within the Slussen area, where Gamla Stan connects to Södermalm. You will see it on the Södermalm side.

The cost for going up is 10 kronor. Same cost for going down again. But if you don't want to pay twice there are stairs you can walk down from Söder to Slussen. If you have a Stockholm card I think it may include Katarinahissen.

Where will your ship be docked? If it is docked at Stadsgården you could have a very nice walk back to the ship from the top of Katarinahissen instead of going down again. The area behind Katarinahissen is really nice and interesting. Will take a little more time than walking along the quay of course, but well worth it if you still have some time left.

Great info, but I was thinking that in the afternoon all the cruise ship visitors would be complete with VASA and I could take my time. I am not a shoopper so after the private excursion it would be time to move on no need to stay in Gamla S. Agree on the ticket SEK 180, but is the ferry that much different? Is the location for the ferry the same as the HOHO boat.

Thanks and I sent you the email.

Bob

The ferry is just another boat you have to pay for; its not included in your HOHO ticket, but all the boats are at the same place at Slussen. Don't forget there are lots of other visitors to S'holm, not just cruisers and its them that will be in the Vasa in the afternoon. I stand by the advice, do the Vasa as early as possible.

Simon

Katarinahissen is something that in my mind could interest more cruise passengers. It is located within the Slussen area, where Gamla Stan connects to Södermalm. You will see it on the Södermalm side.

The cost for going up is 10 kronor. Same cost for going down again. But if you don't want to pay twice there are stairs you can walk down from Söder to Slussen. If you have a Stockholm card I think it may include Katarinahissen.

Where will your ship be docked? If it is docked at Stadsgården you could have a very nice walk back to the ship from the top of Katarinahissen instead of going down again. The area behind Katarinahissen is really nice and interesting. Will take a little more time than walking along the quay of course, but well worth it if you still have some time left.

Good tip, is the tower within Gamal Stan. See my post above, should I include that in my Gamla Stan walk around.

Bob

Good tip, is the tower within Gamal Stan. See my post above, should I include that in my Gamla Stan walk around.

Bob

Katarinahissen is not in Gamla Stan, it is on the Södermalm side of Slussen.

The slussen area covers the south point of Gamla Stan and the connecting area of Södermalm. Down under all the traffic at Slussen there is a small lock where boats can transfer from the Baltic Sea to lake Mälaren, or back. And that is what the name Slussen means, the Lock. So the area covers both sides around the lock.

At the Södermalm side of Slussen there is a rock wall and Katarinahissen can take you up to the area behind. From the elevetor you walk to the roof of a building where there is an outdoor café and at the other side of the café there is a further bridge to go on to the mainly residencial area at Södermalm.

Hi, first of all thanks for all the amazing advice.

Now a question, everyone keeps mentioning going to Vasa first to beat the crowds, the only problem is that I want to see the Changing of the Guards at 12.

Is it possible to go to Djegarden(sp) see Vasa, possibly Skansen, and enjoy the island while still getting back to Gamla Stan for the Changing of the Guards?

so what do u suggest, beat the crowds or catch the changing of the guards???

Im on Jewel of the Seas and Ill be docking in Frihamen which means I have to take the 76 bus, how long does that take??

If you are anywhere near Slussen Katarina Hissen is hard to miss here is a small pic.

159x_gondolen1.jpg

As North-Bound said, there are some interesting areas behind the elevator and it's an easy walk back down to Slussen. The Södra Teatern and Mosebäcke is up there and a nice little square with a coffee cart. You can then either take the stairs or one of the side streets back down to Götgatan (one of the main shopping entertainment streets on Södermalm).

Have fun,

Al

Katarinahissen is not in Gamla Stan, it is on the Södermalm side of Slussen.

The slussen area covers the south point of Gamla Stan and the connecting area of Södermalm. Down under all the traffic at Slussen there is a small lock where boats can transfer from the Baltic Sea to lake Mälaren, or back. And that is what the name Slussen means, the Lock. So the area covers both sides around the lock.

At the Södermalm side of Slussen there is a rock wall and Katarinahissen can take you up to the area behind. From the elevetor you walk to the roof of a building where there is an outdoor café and at the other side of the café there is a further bridge to go on to the mainly residencial area at Södermalm.

How far/long a walk is it from Glama Stan? appor time?

thanks

Now a question, everyone keeps mentioning going to Vasa first to beat the crowds, the only problem is that I want to see the Changing of the Guards at 12.

Is it possible to go to Djegarden(sp) see Vasa, possibly Skansen, and enjoy the island while still getting back to Gamla Stan for the Changing of the Guards?

Im on Jewel of the Seas and Ill be docking in Frihamen which means I have to take the 76 bus, how long does that take??

Bus 76 to Djurgårdsbron (the stop for the Vasa, Skansen etc) takes about 10 minutes or less.

As far as seeing Vasa and Skansen and then getting back to the palace for the COG, well, I don't really think so. Skansen is a big place and involves a lot of walking, and frankly, Skansen deserves better than a brief walk-through, in my opinion.

I would take my time and enjoy the Vasa at a leisurely pace and then get the Ferry or back to Bus 76 to the Old Town.

I do realize that some people like to cram as much as possible in on a cruise, but I hate to rush.

Have a great time,

Al