Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

So can you buy the tram ticket at the stop by the Vasa Museum. How long us it valid for? Is it usable on buses and metro as well? Thanks!

no not at the stop, as I said search this thread for my posts and you should have links and info about where to buy bus tickets at those locations you want to visit.

Here's a question for the Stockholm experts...

I'm in Stockholm in a couple of weeks on the Crown Princess which will dock at Berth: S167 STADSGÅRDEN.

Due to a recent mis-hap, I'm on crutches with a broken foot and while I hope to be well on my way to being more mobile by then, I'm planning for the worst case which would be still using crutches to move about. Therefore, I want to limit any walking distances.

The key things we want to see are (in this order)

- Vasa Museum (morning)

- Ice Bar (have reservation for lunch)

- Old Town (afternoon - I may sit on a patio while the GF shops)

I'm considering the HOHO bus for the convenience and the fact it stops at all of these (and will drive by other key points of interest too). The only issue with it is the price is rather steep at 260 SEK for just 3 essential stops.

The other option is the HOHO boats (120 SEK), but they don't serve the Ice Bar area, which would require a taxi to/from the dock (no idea how much that would add). The other issue with the HOHO boats is the added challenge of getting on/off with crutches. Any thoughts on this option?

Lastly, I could just use a taxi from A to B to C and back. But I have no idea how the price of that would compare to using the HOHO. If it's similar or more expensive, than the HOHO offers the added scenery. If it's less, than it may be a better option that's more direct and convenient.

Any suggestions?

We leave on our cruise next weekend. I have notes that the HoHo bus is only $32.30 US each, that is what I would do. I had a knee replacement last May and then we went to Nz and Australia. We did HoHo and private tours on that and I was just fine. We plan on taking a taking a taxi first thing to Vasa ($22.94 ea US for Vasa) to miss the crowds then get on HoHo bus. Will have a sheet showing where we want to get off. The Old Town is a must from people who have been there.

We leave on our cruise next weekend. I have notes that the HoHo bus is only $32.30 US each, that is what I would do. I had a knee replacement last May and then we went to Nz and Australia. We did HoHo and private tours on that and I was just fine. We plan on taking a taking a taxi first thing to Vasa ($22.94 ea US for Vasa) to miss the crowds then get on HoHo bus. Will have a sheet showing where we want to get off. The Old Town is a must from people who have been there.

I considered the HOHO as well, but it's expensive ($40) and the HOHO bus is not well reviewed in Stockholm. Apparently long waits and bus drivers stopping arbitrarily for lunch or skipping parts of the loop are the norm there. This is why I'm looking at options that don't include the HOHO. I may change my mind for the simple convenience but I'm not going to be happy if I'm waiting an hour for a HOHO bus when the public one is going by every 10 min.

no not at the stop, as I said search this thread for my posts and you should have links and info about where to buy bus tickets at those locations you want to visit.

My apologies but I had a look and your frequency of posts, made it hard to find... would you mind pointing me to the right post or perhaps repeat what you've said before?

Also, can you or anyone recommend a restaurant in Old Town to sample some swedish meetballs? :D

My apologies but I had a look and your frequency of posts, made it hard to find... would you mind pointing me to the right post or perhaps repeat what you've said before?

Also, can you or anyone recommend a restaurant in Old Town to sample some swedish meetballs? :D

Try a search for 7-eleven. Also at djurgården there is a kiosk at Djugårdsbron that I think sells tickets.

I'll be in Stockholm tomorrow and if I'll pass it I can check if they sell tickets.

For restaurants I have found this results (no personal experience):

http://www.yelp.se/biz/den-gyldene-freden-stockholm#query:k%C3%B6ttbullar

http://www.tripadvisor.se/Restaurant_Review-g189852-d697810-Reviews-Den_Gyldene_Freden-Stockholm.html

http://www.tripadvisor.se/ShowUserReviews-g189852-d2249603-r135846806-Magnus_Ladulas-Stockholm.html#mtreview_135846806

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g189852-d1134242-r162869130-Kaffegillet_i_Gamla_Stan-Stockholm.html

They have som different tickets. Here is the link in english so you can deside by yourself.

Just click at the english flag and you get your information.

http://www.stromma.se/sv/Sightseeing/Stockholm/Turer-pa-land1/hop-on-hop-off-sthlm/

Thanks for your help. If you are doing other ports hop on hop off bus, Viator offers a discount, just bring your ticket that has been validated and give in the next city, you will get a discount.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

Here's a question for the Stockholm experts...

I'm in Stockholm in a couple of weeks on the Crown Princess which will dock at Berth: S167 STADSGÅRDEN.

Due to a recent mis-hap, I'm on crutches with a broken foot and while I hope to be well on my way to being more mobile by then, I'm planning for the worst case which would be still using crutches to move about. Therefore, I want to limit any walking distances.

The key things we want to see are (in this order)

- Vasa Museum (morning)

- Ice Bar (have reservation for lunch)

- Old Town (afternoon - I may sit on a patio while the GF shops)

I'm considering the HOHO bus for the convenience and the fact it stops at all of these (and will drive by other key points of interest too). The only issue with it is the price is rather steep at 260 SEK for just 3 essential stops.

The other option is the HOHO boats (120 SEK), but they don't serve the Ice Bar area, which would require a taxi to/from the dock (no idea how much that would add). The other issue with the HOHO boats is the added challenge of getting on/off with crutches. Any thoughts on this option?

Lastly, I could just use a taxi from A to B to C and back. But I have no idea how the price of that would compare to using the HOHO. If it's similar or more expensive, than the HOHO offers the added scenery. If it's less, than it may be a better option that's more direct and convenient.

Any suggestions?

Vasa Museum 95.00 SEK=$22.94 ea. US Dollars; $45.88 US for two

HoHo Bus $32.30 ea = $64.60 US Hop Hop off Boat Canal $15.54 ea = $31.08 US

The HOHO Bus is probably your best bet, also you will tour the city and see the sights and not have to walk it.

Thanks all. I'm starting to come back around to the HOHO bus. The transit system in Stockholm sounds good, but it's not easy to figure out nor is it all that affordable. A 24 hr transit pass costs half as much as a HOHO ticket and is not as convenient or informative. :rolleyes:

My only concern is the HOHO buses in Stockholm don't have a great reputation. It seems there are three HOHO buses two of which are run by Stromma (the Red City SightSeeing brand and their own Green Open Top Tours brand) and then there's the other "Red" buses too. I just don't want to get burned waiting an hour for a bus when I want to get moving. Ugh. :(

Edited by VirtualRain

Thanks all. I'm starting to come back around to the HOHO bus. The transit system in Stockholm sounds good, but it's not easy to figure out nor is it all that affordable. A 24 hr transit pass costs half as much as a HOHO ticket and is not as convenient or informative.

Honestly the HoHo buses aren't really that informative if you ask me.

I did a tour last year with one of the buses and I was quite disappointed.

Very expensive and very little info at each "point" and hardly any info between the points.

With public transport you will be more flexible and will get you i.e. Wasa to the Ice Bar much quicker then the HoHo bus who will go to Skansen first

then out to Frihamnen before turning back towards the Ice Bar central station, then past the city hall before getting to the southern end of Old Town.

See this map: http://www.stromma.se/imageengine/cache/u.1789431075.s0.k940.jpg

SL bus map: http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2013.html

Edited by Desdichado62

Honestly the HoHo buses aren't really that informative if you ask me.

I did a tour last year with one of the buses and I was quite disappointed.

Very expensive and very little info at each "point" and hardly any info between the points.

With public transport you will be more flexible and will get you i.e. Wasa to the Ice Bar much quicker then the HoHo bus who will go to Skansen first

then out to Frihamnen before turning back towards the Ice Bar central station, then past the city hall before getting to the southern end of Old Town.

See this map: http://www.stromma.se/imageengine/cache/u.1789431075.s0.k940.jpg

SL bus map: http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2013.html

Thanks, I agree transit has it's appeal. But it's quickly getting beyond ridiculous to plan a day. Where do I get tickets? The SL route planning folks said I could buy a ticket for the tram on the tram. I assume they know what they're talking about (but is not consistent with what I've been told here). That gets me to the IceBar. I assume I can buy a metro ticket to Old Town at the metro station. That leaves the bus ride back from Old Town to the ship. Both the #53 and #96 look like good options. Any ideas where to get a bus ticket in Old Town? Or should I buy a full day transit card when I get off the ship? Is that an option? Is there somewhere there I can do that at 8AM in the morning? It's hard enough trying to plan a day on transit in a foreign country without knowing where you can actually buy tickets for their system! It's frustrating.

EDIT: Bus #96 is not being recommended on any route planners... any idea why?

Edited by VirtualRain

I agree transit has it's appeal. But it's quickly getting beyond ridiculous to plan a day. Where do I get tickets? The SL route planning folks said I could buy a ticket for the tram on the tram. I assume they know what they're talking about (but is not consistent with what I've been told here). That gets me to the IceBar. I assume I can buy a metro ticket to Old Town at the metro station. That leaves the bus ride back from Old Town to the ship. Both the #53 and #96 look like good options. Any ideas where to get a bus ticket in Old Town? Or should I buy a full day transit card when I get off the ship? Is that an option? Is there somewhere there I can do that at 8AM in the morning? It's hard enough trying to plan a day on transit in a foreign country without knowing where you can actually buy tickets for their system! It's frustrating.

Virtual Rain, I've found Stockholm public transit to be the hardest to figure out among the Baltics ports, so I share your pain. I also read on the SL website that you can buy a tram ticket on the tram, but that contradicts what's been said on this thread. Even if they're available on the tram, I'm not sure if I need coins. If credit cards are ok, there's the uncertainty whether I can use my chip & signature card.

I want to board the Tram near the Vasa museum then transfer to a bus to go to City Hall. Since I'm not sure whether I can buy a ticket at the tram, I'm planning to buy one before I go to Vasa. I went to the Pressbyran website and found a convenient location. From the ship at Stadsgarden I'll walk to the Pressbyran at Slussen metro. Hopefully I'll be able to find it and I can activate the ticket later. From there I'll walk to the Djurgarden ferry where I know I can buy a ticket at the dock.

I hope you're able to figure this out.

Thanks, I agree transit has it's appeal. But it's quickly getting beyond ridiculous to plan a day. Where do I get tickets? The SL route planning folks said I could buy a ticket for the tram on the tram. I assume they know what they're talking about (but is not consistent with what I've been told here). That gets me to the IceBar. I assume I can buy a metro ticket to Old Town at the metro station. That leaves the bus ride back from Old Town to the ship. Both the #53 and #96 look like good options. Any ideas where to get a bus ticket in Old Town? Or should I buy a full day transit card when I get off the ship? Is that an option? Is there somewhere there I can do that at 8AM in the morning? It's hard enough trying to plan a day on transit in a foreign country without knowing where you can actually buy tickets for their system! It's frustrating.

EDIT: Bus #96 is not being recommended on any route planners... any idea why?

Virtual Rain, I've found Stockholm public transit to be the hardest to figure out among the Baltics ports, so I share your pain. I also read on the SL website that you can buy a tram ticket on the tram, but that contradicts what's been said on this thread. Even if they're available on the tram, I'm not sure if I need coins. If credit cards are ok, there's the uncertainty whether I can use my chip & signature card.

I want to board the Tram near the Vasa museum then transfer to a bus to go to City Hall. Since I'm not sure whether I can buy a ticket at the tram, I'm planning to buy one before I go to Vasa. I went to the Pressbyran website and found a convenient location. From the ship at Stadsgarden I'll walk to the Pressbyran at Slussen metro. Hopefully I'll be able to find it and I can activate the ticket later. From there I'll walk to the Djurgarden ferry where I know I can buy a ticket at the dock.

I hope you're able to figure this out.

As I said yesterday at Djurgården there is a kiosk just before Djurgårdsbron on the left side when you come from Wasa, they sell SL-tickets for bus, tram and boat (boat=Sjövägen).

At the icebar, walk to either the bus terminal north of the Ice bar or

south to the central station in which there is SL customer Center and a pressbyrån.

For Gamla Stan any 7-eleven or Pressbyrån, for locations search this thread for 7-eleven.

As I said yesterday at Djurgården there is a kiosk just before Djurgårdsbron on the left side when you come from Wasa, they sell SL-tickets for bus, tram and boat (boat=Sjövägen).

At the icebar, walk to either the bus terminal north of the Ice bar or

south to the central station in which there is SL customer Center and a pressbyrån.

For Gamla Stan any 7-eleven or Pressbyrån, for locations search this thread for 7-eleven.

Thank you so much for checking and reporting back! I really appreciate the time and effort you put into answering questions.

I have the App mapswithme on my phone, and it shows a kiosk in the exact location you mention called Royalkiosken.

There's another one called Spelslussen in Gamla Stan on Slussplan near Katarinavagen. Would you know if this is the same type of kiosk? It would be very simple to stop there walking from Stadsgarden.

Thanks so much!

Thank you so much for checking and reporting back! I really appreciate the time and effort you put into answering questions.

I have the App mapswithme on my phone, and it shows a kiosk in the exact location you mention called Royalkiosken.

There's another one called Spelslussen in Gamla Stan on Slussplan near Katarinavagen. Would you know if this is the same type of kiosk? It would be very simple to stop there walking from Stadsgarden.

Thanks so much!

Yes Royalkiosken is the one at Djurgårdsbron.

As for Spelslussen it is listed at Sl.se as a kiosk that sells tickets.

Places that sells tickets at Slussen:

• Pressbyrån, Slussen / Saltsjöbanan
  • Pressbyrån, Slussens tunnelbanestation, exit towards Södermalmstorg
  • SL Center, Slussen at Saltsjöbanan
  • Slussens Tobak, T-bana Slussen/Hökens gata
  • Spelslussen, Slussplan 1-3

However Söder Tobak at Bondegatan 57 is closer:

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=%C3%96stra+Tegelviksslingan&daddr=Bondegatan+57,+116+34+Stockholm&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.314957,18.092905&spn=0.004073,0.016512&sll=59.316216,18.094622&sspn=0.004073,0.016512&geocode=FT4YiQMdnxwUAQ%3BFa0OiQMdwAkUASlZG0iMAnhfRjHUUdwYqLCQ8w&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=17

Gamla Stan: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35870352&postcount=1037

Edited by Desdichado62

Yes Royalkiosken is the one at Djurgårdsbron.

As for Spelslussen it is listed at Sl.se as a kiosk that sells tickets.

Places that sells tickets at Slussen:

• Pressbyrån, Slussen / Saltsjöbanan
  • Pressbyrån, Slussens tunnelbanestation, exit towards Södermalmstorg
  • SL Center, Slussen at Saltsjöbanan
  • Slussens Tobak, T-bana Slussen/Hökens gata
  • Spelslussen, Slussplan 1-3

However Söder Tobak at Bondegatan 57 is closer:

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=%C3%96stra+Tegelviksslingan&daddr=Bondegatan+57,+116+34+Stockholm&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.314957,18.092905&spn=0.004073,0.016512&sll=59.316216,18.094622&sspn=0.004073,0.016512&geocode=FT4YiQMdnxwUAQ%3BFa0OiQMdwAkUASlZG0iMAnhfRjHUUdwYqLCQ8w&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=17

Gamla Stan: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35870352&postcount=1037

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the time you took to provide such a thorough answer. I'll note the locations on my mapswithme app. This gives me much more confidence about finding a ticket outlet.

I found the list of all the locations on the Sl.se website in Swedish. The English version just says "tickets are sold via our agents". I think it would be helpful to foreign visitors if they listed the locations on the English version as well. I will try to contact them to give them that feedback.

Thanks again.

OK, I think I finally have it figured out thanks to all the great advice & links. This is what we plan on doing so if I'm off somewhere please let me know.

On Monday, Aug 12 We plan on taking an early bus to Vasa. We dock at Stadsgarden. This consists of walking to Slussen, taking the 76 bus to Djurgardsbron then transfering to the city tram 7 to the Vasa museum. It appears we can buy our tickets at Slussen. Question: Will one ticket each get us all the way to the museum or do we need to purchase a seperate tram ticket at Djugardbron.

For the return, we do the same but in reverse. Question: Do we need to buy 2 tickets at Slussen in the morning or can we buy return tickets at the tram stop after we visit the museum? Rather than go all the way back to the ship, we plan on getting off somewhere on Gamla Stand an then just walking back to the ship.

I don't think a travel card or day pass would be be the best choicc, as we plan on mostly walking and only using transportation twice (or possibly 3 times depending on how tired we get after walking around Gamla Stan. Question: Once you use a ticket how long do you have to complete your journey if we get off the bus/tram and then resume later?

So. Here's my question.

We will be in port overnight at the end of a cruise. I am looking at taking a very late flight back to the UK on the 2nd day so I can make the most of my time. Suggestions please as to where I can drop off my case for the day would be extremely welcome and apologies if this has been asked previously; a search for 'luggage' included hotel stays.....

OK, I think I finally have it figured out thanks to all the great advice & links. This is what we plan on doing so if I'm off somewhere please let me know.

On Monday, Aug 12 We plan on taking an early bus to Vasa. We dock at Stadsgarden. This consists of walking to Slussen, taking the 76 bus to Djurgardsbron then transfering to the city tram 7 to the Vasa museum. It appears we can buy our tickets at Slussen. Question: Will one ticket each get us all the way to the museum or do we need to purchase a seperate tram ticket at Djugardbron.

For the return, we do the same but in reverse. Question: Do we need to buy 2 tickets at Slussen in the morning or can we buy return tickets at the tram stop after we visit the museum? Rather than go all the way back to the ship, we plan on getting off somewhere on Gamla Stand an then just walking back to the ship.

I don't think a travel card or day pass would be be the best choicc, as we plan on mostly walking and only using transportation twice (or possibly 3 times depending on how tired we get after walking around Gamla Stan. Question: Once you use a ticket how long do you have to complete your journey if we get off the bus/tram and then resume later?

There is no need to switch to the tram at Djurgårdsbron.

The distance from the bus stop at Djurgårdsbron to Vasa is not farther then the distance from the tram stop in from of Nordiska museet to Vasa.

Just walk across Djurgårdsbron and follow the signs to Vasa.

Also I don't know about how long the tickets are valid but there are a kiosk at Djugardsbron where you can buy tickets for the return trip.

From Slussen you can also use Djurgårdsfärjan to Allmänna Gränd at Djurgården from where it is a short walk to Vasa.

However a bus will get you there faster but Djurgårdsfärjan may offer a better view of the city.

http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/djurgarden-ferry/maps-ferry-terminals/

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g&daddr=Slussen+-+Skeppsholmen+-+Djurg%C3%A5rden+to:Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g+to:Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&sll=59.327525,18.095191&sspn=0.004209,0.016512&geocode=FV0ZiQMdvh8UAQ%3BFeQtiQMd484TAQ%3BFeQ2iQMdsRoUAQ%3BFS5EiQMdzRMUAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=pr&z=17

So. Here's my question.

We will be in port overnight at the end of a cruise. I am looking at taking a very late flight back to the UK on the 2nd day so I can make the most of my time. Suggestions please as to where I can drop off my case for the day would be extremely welcome and apologies if this has been asked previously; a search for 'luggage' included hotel stays.....

I have no idea about Hotels but I do know that Stockholms Cebtralstation have baggage lockers that you can rent.

They are located on the lower floor and the station is open daily from 05.00 to 00.15

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=Stockholms+Centralstation,+Centralplan+15,+111+20+Stockholm&hl=sv&sll=59.330444,18.058822&sspn=0.008417,0.033023&oq=+Stockholms+Centralstation+Centralplan+15,+111+20+Stockholm&t=h&hq=Stockholms+Centralstation,&hnear=Centralplan+15,+111+20+Stockholm&z=16

So. Here's my question.

There is luggage storage available at the Central Station. I think it is only the train station.

http://www.speed-services.se/en/news/2013/1/18/more-luggage-lockers-to-stockholm-central-station/

• 3 weeks later...

TheLocal.se has listed the "top ten places to take a visitor to in Stockholm".

http://www.thelocal.se/49364/20130731/

http://www.thelocal.se/gallery/stockholm/3308/

The one thing that some cruisers normally don't think of is Kaknästornet:

http://www.kaknastornet.se/eng/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakn%C3%A4stornet

The view is quite spectacular and its quite close to Frihamnen.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=59.335&mlon=18.126389&zoom=15&layers=M