What to do with 2 1/2 yr old on Carnival Spirit or Norwegian Pearl?

MCManders99

I am possibly booking the Carnival Spirit or Norwegian Pearl next year in August to Alaska. I know my DD (who will be 2 1/2 at time of sailing) will be old enough for the kids club. I know her personality will change in the next year as she gets older. My question is..if she doesn't like the kids club (being away from mommy and daddy with strangers) is there alot to do with her during the day and early evening? We'll probably be traveling with my parents and possibly in-laws so we'll be able to switch off if need be. But she doesn't go to daycare (stays with Grandma in the daytime), we tried daycare and it didn't work for her right now. I am trying to decide between Carnival Spirit and Norwegian Pearl. And I like to be prepared, so I am trying to see what ship will have more opporunity to do things with her if by chance the kids club doesn't work out. This will be the first cruise she goes on with us, so I am wieghing all my options.

If she doesn't partake of the kid's club, then you will be the "sole entertainer" of your daughter! If she's potty-trained, there's the pool. Some ship's have mini-golf (if she's old enough for that.)

What does she do at home for entertainment? That's about what she'll be doing on the ship if she's not in the club. Of course, port days will provide some diversion, but on sea days, it's up to you to entertain!

I understand we would entertain her then, which is not a problem for me. Out of those two ships (carnival Spirit and Norwegian Pearl), which has more to do. She should be potty trained by then so an indoor pool (or enclosed) pool would work (since we're going to Alaska). Do those ships have mini golf? (we live in Orlando and expose her to mini golf already-even though she has not officially played yet). I know the Pearl has bowling.

At home she plays with her toys and reads her books. She loves the pool and loves to go for walks. She is a people watcher. She likes to just sit in her stroller and watch people do their daily thing. She giggles at everything people do. I just know she'll have fun at dinner with entertaining waiters. If someone just waves their hands in the air, she gigles up a storm.

This is going to be all new traveling on a cruise with her. I guess I'll just have to pick a ship and just go with it. For me just sitting on our balcony and watching Alaska go by is good enough for me. So if she is in the cabin playing or on the balcony reading, we can both be happy. I know it'll all work out, I just can't decide between these two ships.

I'd choose by price and itinerary first - the diversions on board will probably be comperable on both (at that age my girls loved going dancing, going for walks, climbing on deck chairs, etc.) One major difference between the two cruise lines is that Carnival has set dinner seatings and Norwegian doesn't. Some here prefer the flexibility of Norwegian's "freestyle" dining. My preference with little ones is to have set dinners because then you have the same waiter every evening who will best be able to cater to your child and make dinners enjoyable for all. Some though feel strongly that they prefer to show up for dinner when they want and not have to dress up.

Best,

Mia

Archived