dinner attire on Spirit

lucybrown1

Is it okay for men to wear nice shorts and a collared shirt to the buffet, Windows & Garden?

Shorts are OK in the dining rooms for breakfast and lunch, and in the buffet at any time. Shorts aren't allowed in the dining rooms or specialty restaurants for dinner. However, don't be surprised if this rule isn't enforced.

Collared shirts (with sleeves) are OK any where at any time.

Is it okay for men to wear nice shorts and a collared shirt to the buffet, Windows & Garden?

Lucy you can virtually wear anything to the buffet area. Of course I don't mean that literally, but they are very lax on what you can wear to the buffet for dinner. I have even seen people in there in their swim trunks, although I would frown on that, I have seen it done. Men in shorts and a shirt will be more than ok. 8-)

Hi Lucy,

Good question, we were wondring the same thing. Has anyone been able to wear shorts to the dining room or just buffets?:)

NCL..and a lot of passengers..would really prefer you NOT wear shorts to the dining rooms for dinner (other meals are OK). Last time I cruised on NCL it was in the fall and the cruise was to New England, so I didn't see many folks in shorts, anyway. I'm guessing that on the southern cruises folks are a bit more casual, but the "official" NCL dress code is "no shorts in the dining room".

We were on the Spirit in January and it was very casual. Dressed up one night and then decided to skip it. I think you can get away with shorts. Bummer I know because I like the atomosphere of people dressing up.

Buffet yes (anytime), but I would not recommend wearing them for dinner in the main dining rooms. I believe I've read in some recent Spirit reviews that shorts are now being allowed in the Garden dining room, even for dinner.

I have read on these boards that the MDR rules for men wearing dress shorts is more relaxed for the Bermuda runs.

However, I can tell you that I've seen men turned away from the MDR on the Western Caribbean runs. Sailed the ship in Nov/07 and Nov/08 and both times witnessed men wearing dress shorts turned way from the Windows dining room.

Women wearing capris were allowed into Windows. Men wearing shorts were told to either change or dine at Garden or the buffet on the Western Caribbean route.

Dianne

Buffet yes (anytime), but I would not recommend wearing them for dinner in the main dining rooms. I believe I've read in some recent Spirit reviews that shorts are now being allowed in the Garden dining room, even for dinner.

No sorts in the main dinning rooms for dinner and also the speciality restaurants for dinner. Why can not people follow this simple dress code??

NCL information packet the send you before your cruise even spells this out.

Big Green

I will be on the Spirit in OCT/Nov for 16 days-- I do not want to see shorts at dinner in the main dining rooms for dinner or the speciality restaurants--If I

do I guess I wiil complain to the Hotel Director as this is a current stated NCL

policy--no shorts at the mdr or speciality restaurants at dinner.

Just got back from the 6/26 Bermuda cruise on the NCL Spirit.

For men, shorts are allowed in the MDRs and specialty restaurants. Nice shorts (bermuda, golf, etc) and collared shirts are acceptable - not sure where they draw the line, but as long as you dress resort casual, it's fine.

In the buffet area (Raffles), people wander in from the pool area and so it's mostly swimwear, flip flops, t-shirts, etc. In the dining rooms, it's a step up.

All reports coming in from this summer's Bermuda cruises indicate that NCL is no longer imposing a "no shorts in the MDRs at dinner" rule. (Unfortunately, IMHO)

I think Bermuda shorts are allowed when in Bermuda, but Bermuda only (I read that somewhere a while ago but can't remember where).

Just got back from the 6/26 Bermuda cruise on the NCL Spirit.

For men, shorts are allowed in the MDRs and specialty restaurants. Nice shorts (bermuda, golf, etc) and collared shirts are acceptable - not sure where they draw the line, but as long as you dress resort casual, it's fine.

In the buffet area (Raffles), people wander in from the pool area and so it's mostly swimwear, flip flops, t-shirts, etc. In the dining rooms, it's a step up.

Thanks StratGuy, any tips or helpful hints? We will be going on Friday.

On the Spirit, there is usually one MDR that is more casual than the other. The Garden Room would be the more casual, while Windows would be less casual. Shorts in the Garden Room would probably go over much better than in Windows for dinner.

The thing is, just because shorts "flew" on one week, doesn't mean it will the next. Enforcement is up to the maitre d' and his staff. If they say no shorts, they will send you to change or eat in another venue.

For the record, I don't think shorts should be okay in either MDR for dinner. It's only another 18" of fabric for each leg - come on, it's not that hard!

For the record, I don't think shorts should be okay in either MDR for dinner. It's only another 18" of fabric for each leg - come on, it's not that hard!

Wow, this question brought up a lot of emotions. DH doesn't care if he wears shorts or pants. We just wanted to check for packing purposes. Sounds like he will need to throw a few more pants into the suitcase.:)

I packed slacks and didn't use them. The NCL Spirit rule is resort casual. There's no ban on shorts in any restaurant that I saw, so long as you look presentable. In other words, if you show up in cutoffs and a torn t-shirt you might get turned away (maybe).

If you are wearing nice bermuda shorts, a polo shirt and shoes, you would be seated in any restaurant in the Summertime on Cape Cod, in Newport, RI, Bar Harbor, ME, etc and also on the NCL Spirit going to Bermuda :-).

You do not need to dress up, although you can.

Restaurant Tips:

* Go early to dinner.

* Overall the food is quite good. Portions are just enough.

* Specialty restaurants - not really that busy, I'm guessing because of cover charge/bad economy/etc, so you could get seated as a walk-in if you decide to go at the spur of the moment. The one exception is Teppanyaki, which is a room in the Asian restaurant that does a cooking performance (like Benihana's), since it only seats about 8 people around the open griddle - plan ahead if you want to do this (I would).

* Service was good in the MDRs, but we went early. Service in the speciality restaurants was very good. Neither is as good as a really good (land-based) restaurant, but they all met expectations.

* The MDR "Surf and More Surf" seafood dish was pretty good - the lobster tail was not N.E. lobster tho. The only negative was the mussel had a strong (bad) flavor.

* The MDR Crab Hot & Sour soup used crabstick (pollock) not crab.

* The "available every day" sirloin steak was an ok cut and maybe overcooked in my instance, but was about what I expected in the MDR.

* The sushi is good and fresh but not very adventurous or complex. I had it twice, so I was happy but it's not as good as my favorite local place (Tsang's in Hanover).

* Service in the Asian restaurant was the best we experienced.

* Le Bistro was good - small, good service, food is well prepared, French.

* La Trattoria - good service, nice antipasto trolly. I thought the chicken parm was bland, but it was a good piece of chicken breast. It needed more marinara maybe.

* Desserts are always good.

I packed slacks and didn't use them. The NCL Spirit rule is resort casual. There's no ban on shorts in any restaurant that I saw, so long as you look presentable. In other words, if you show up in cutoffs and a torn t-shirt you might get turned away (maybe).

Are you saying there was a STATED POLICY (in either the Daily or on restaurant signage) allowing shorts? Or are you simply reporting that you saw lots of people wearing them and there didn't appear to be any enforcement to the contrary?

This was a Bermuda cruise on the NCL Spirit, full of N.E. blokes and gals. I don't want to start WWIII on the subject of shorts in the dining rooms, but there was no problem anywhere, but people did dress appropriately. In Bermuda BTW, shorts are acceptable attire at work.

It's Summertime and I see no problem with it on this ship, on this cruise. Neither did the staff.

I do seem to recall seeing something on the Daily on this, saying shorts were allowed, but I did not keep a copy and can't present it as evidence, in court as it were.

Go to a good restaurant in Chatham, Newport, or Kennebunkport, and you can wear proper shorts, shoes, a nice shirt and be seated.

P.S. in Raffles it was anything goes, as long as you wore a shirt and something on your feet.

Ok, so I grilled my dear wife at length on this subject. I knew there are folks here that would want nothing less on this topic. I was tenacious and unyielding.

And, as it turns out, DW kept all the dailies from the NCL Spirit. Who knew?

Here's what the Daily says, and you should read carefully:

"
What To Wear:
You'll always find a place for your style, no matter what you want to wear. Resort casual (with the exception of sports and beach wear) is welcome in all of our restaurants."

So there you have it. Nice shorts allowed.

Case closed.

Archived