dinner attire on Spirit

lucybrown1

Ok, so I grilled my dear wife at length on this subject. I knew there are folks here that would want nothing less on this topic. I was tenacious and unyielding.

And, as it turns out, DW kept all the dailies from the NCL Spirit. Who knew?

Here's what the Daily says, and you should read carefully:

"
What To Wear:
You'll always find a place for your style, no matter what you want to wear. Resort casual (with the exception of sports and beach wear) is welcome in all of our restaurants."

So there you have it. Nice shorts allowed.

Case closed.

Case not closed! I don't see anywhere in the part of the Daily that you quoted where it states shorts are allowed or appropriate in the MDR for dinner. If you're using the term "resort casual" to justify wearing shorts, then I think your interpretation of the term is inaccurate. I googled "resort casual attire" and read the definitions listed on most of the etiquette sites as well as several travel sites. The consensus definition was that for dinner resort casual means nice slacks, polo shirts, button down shirts, nice shoes or sandals, (with the option of wearing a sport coat) for men. For women: nice pants, skorts, skirts, nice top, casual dress, sundress, nice sandals or casual shoes. The length of the skirt or dress is knee length or longer. Daytime resort casual attire includes the same clothing suggestions as evening resort casual plus nice shorts can be worn as well.

Ok, so I grilled my dear wife at length on this subject. I knew there are folks here that would want nothing less on this topic. I was tenacious and unyielding.

And, as it turns out, DW kept all the dailies from the NCL Spirit. Who knew?

Here's what the Daily says, and you should read carefully:

"
What To Wear:
You'll always find a place for your style, no matter what you want to wear. Resort casual (with the exception of sports and beach wear) is welcome in all of our restaurants."

So there you have it. Nice shorts allowed.

Case closed.

Case not closed! I don't see anywhere in the part of the Daily that you quoted where it states shorts are allowed or appropriate in the MDR for dinner. If you're using the term "resort casual" to justify wearing shorts, then I think your interpretation of the term is inaccurate. I googled "resort casual attire" and read the definitions listed on most of the etiquette sites as well as several travel sites. The consensus definition was that for dinner resort casual means nice slacks, polo shirts, button down shirts, nice shoes or sandals, (with the option of wearing a sport coat) for men. For women: nice pants, skorts, skirts, nice top, casual dress, sundress, nice sandals or casual shoes. The length of the skirt or dress is knee length or longer. Daytime resort casual attire includes the same clothing suggestions as evening resort casual plus nice shorts can be worn as well.

I believe that we are talking 2 different cruises really. During the summer when the Spirit is doing the Bermuda run, Bermuda shorts are part of the resort casual wear that the daily refers to. So these guys will probably be admitted to the MDR for dinner

38_BermudaShorts_Shaw.jpg

We have been on Spirit the past 2 Novembers and have seen people in shorts refused admittance because of shorts.

Maybe it has changed since last November and maybe it has to do with the Maitre d' and his personal standards. But, I would take a pair of slacks for either cruise, "Just In Case".

Charlie

Case not closed! I don't see anywhere in the part of the Daily that you quoted where it states shorts are allowed or appropriate in the MDR for dinner. If you're using the term "resort casual" to justify wearing shorts, then I think your interpretation of the term is inaccurate.

I agree with your analysis. "Resort casual" is not the free-for-all that many people make it out to be. But, it is a very misunderstood term and I would prefer that NCL (and other cruise lines) not use it.

Further, the quote from the Daily is very confusing in my opinion. It makes an negative exception for "sports" by which I assume they mean "sportswear." But aren't "shorts" generally considered to be "sportswear?" And, for that matter, isn't most "resort casual" clothing also classified as "sportswear?" Very confusing! Perhaps they meant "athletic" or "fitness," but that's not what they said.

And what about "jeans?" They aren't mentioned at all. In my opinion "jeans" are NOT part of "resort casual" unless clearly specified as such (ie: "resort casual, jeans allowed").

I would re-write the Daily quote as follows: "Resort Casual. Nice jeans and shorts allowed. Fitness and beachwear not allowed." I'm guessing that's essentially what they meant. ???

Wow! Folks are invested in this issue!!

If NCL did not want shorts in the Spirit restaurants, they would simply say "No shorts allowed".

Don't believe everything you read on the interweb.

Resort casual on a cruise ship (this is not a country club) includes nice shorts for men unless specifically excluded.

On the Spirit, there is usually one MDR that is more casual than the other. The Garden Room would be the more casual, while Windows would be less casual. Shorts in the Garden Room would probably go over much better than in Windows for dinner.

The thing is, just because shorts "flew" on one week, doesn't mean it will the next. Enforcement is up to the maitre d' and his staff. If they say no shorts, they will send you to change or eat in another venue.

For the record, I don't think shorts should be okay in either MDR for dinner. It's only another 18" of fabric for each leg - come on, it's not that hard!

When we were on the Spirit 2 years ago one of the guys was turned away from Garden Room at dinner because he had shorts on (nice ones but still shorts). ;)

Resort casual on a cruise ship (this is not a country club) includes nice shorts for men unless specifically excluded.

May we ask how you arrived at such a definitive conclusion? I have not seen such a definition of resort casual anywhere, even on cruise line websites.

Are you saying there was a STATED POLICY (in either the Daily or on restaurant signage) allowing shorts? Or are you simply reporting that you saw lots of people wearing them and there didn't appear to be any enforcement to the contrary?

Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free - we've reserved a restaurant just for that. And remember to pack a sweater - air conditioning can be chilly.

This is from the NCL website - search dress code.

I disagree. That would be what some other cruise lines describe as "cruise casual." NCL doesn't use that term.

On the Dawn to Bermuda last October, in the evening there were signs at the entryway of both main dining rooms saying something to the effect of, "shorts are not permitted in the dining room." I remember this specifically because one night we were a bit later getting back to the ship than we intended and didn't want to take the time to go change before dinner so we stopped by the dining room and then saw the sign so went back to the cabin to change.

This has gone beyond my ability to maintain interest. The OP got her answer and I hope she has a good time on the Spirit!! :)

Let's agree to disagree.

Next topic: How many omelets should one order in the buffet line? Discuss!!

• Administrators
Wow! Folks are invested in this issue!!

If NCL did not want shorts in the Spirit restaurants, they would simply say "No shorts allowed".

Don't believe everything you read on the interweb.

Please do realize you were on a Bermuda itinerary. For our Spirit cruise in December I expect the dress code to be NCL's standard one -- http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ#whatpack -- under which shorts are not permitted in the dining rooms at night (though as always maitre'd's can, have, and likely will make exceptions -- enforcement is up to them).

As for folks being "invested" in this issue, I think it comes from the fact that future cruisers do rely on what they read here, especially when it's stated as definitively as you have done. I would really hate for someone to read this thread and think "great, I don't need long pants -- shorts will do" and then once onboard find out that the maitre'd on their sailing DOES enforce the "no shorts" rule. That person would then either have to purchase slacks somewhere, or eat in the buffet for every meal. What a nuisance that would be. It's easiest just to bring along one pair of slacks, just in case.

PS Check this thread for a photo of the signs on one NCL ship at night -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16762185&highlight=#post16762185

Please do realize you were on a Bermuda itinerary. For our Spirit cruise in December I expect the dress code to be NCL's standard one -- http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ#whatpack -- under which shorts are not permitted in the dining rooms at night (though as always maitre'd's can, have, and likely will make exceptions -- enforcement is up to them).

As for folks being "invested" in this issue, I think it comes from the fact that future cruisers do rely on what they read here, especially when it's stated as definitively as you have done. I would really hate for someone to read this thread and think "great, I don't need long pants -- shorts will do" and then once onboard find out that the maitre'd on their sailing DOES enforce the "no shorts" rule. That person would then either have to purchase slacks somewhere, or eat in the buffet for every meal. What a nuisance that would be. It's easiest just to bring along one pair of slacks, just in case.

PS Check this thread for a photo of the signs on one NCL ship at night -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16762185&highlight=#post16762185

FYI:

On our last Bermuda cruise on the Dawn in October 2008, shorts were not allowed in the MDRs, so NCL has apparently made a policy change this year. I would be reluctant to assume that NCL will revert back to the previous rules at the conclusion of the Bermuda season. Perhaps they will, but perhaps they will just continue to permit shorts. We have no prior history to rely on, because allowing shorts in the MDRs is something that just occured. It's not as if they allowed shorts in previous years during the Bermuda season, and then reverted back to no shorts thereafter.

I was on the Spirit last week. This was a summertime cruise from Boston to Bermuda. Nice shorts were allowed in every restaurant. Shorts were not specifically excluded anywhere and the dress code language published in the Freestyle Daily was different from the web site.

My suggestion for men is to pack one pair of slacks, but that dress shorts are acceptable on this cruise.

There. I've said it again.

Done.

On our last Bermuda cruise on the Dawn in October 2008, shorts were not allowed in the MDRs, so NCL has apparently made a policy change this year. I would be reluctant to assume that NCL will revert back to the previous rules at the conclusion of the Bermuda season. Perhaps they will, but perhaps they will just continue to permit shorts. We have no prior history to rely on, because allowing shorts in the MDRs is something that just occured.

I was aboard the Spirit a couple of months ago for its "repo" before the Bermuda season. The only dress code sign that I could find on the entire ship (and I went out of my way to look for 'em) was at the "designated" Windows MDR and it only banned shorts and tanktops. It did NOT ban jeans as one would have otherwise expected. Meanwhile, the message in the Daily at that time continued with the usual message about no jeans in the designated MDR.

The Daily also contained the line about "no shorts after 5:00 PM except at the buffet." But clearly shorts (cargo, not Bermuda) were being allowed in the Garden MDR. I didn't eat at any of the specialties on that cruise, so I can't say what went on there, but I presume that shorts were likewise allowed.

So it seemed to me that the Spirit was definitely doing some experimenting with the dress code, and the balance of NCL's documentation (website, welcome aboard booklets, etc.) has not yet caught up. It will be interesting to see where this goes in the next few months. :-)

...Here's what the Daily says, and you should read carefully:

"
What To Wear:

So there you have it. Nice shorts allowed. Case closed.

I have read this 5 times. Nowhere does it say shorts are allowed that I can see. Please help me understand this.

I have read this 5 times. Nowhere does it say shorts are allowed that I can see. Please help me understand this.

LOL.. I think StratGuy is saying that the word "sports" was supposed to be "shorts." No? or maybe he's saying that sports wear is not the same as nice shorts.. I dunno but that's my guess.

Yes, dress shorts are not sports wear. That is what I am saying.

If you are referring to Bermuda shorts worn with a jacket and knee socks, I would agree, those aren't "sportswear." But I've never seen anyone dressed like that on a cruise. All of the shorts I saw in the Garden MDR aboard the Spirit a couple months ago were of the "cargo" variety - and those are most definitely "sportswear."

So here goes NCL once again with a dress code that makes no sense and/or contradicts itself. :-)

If you are referring to Bermuda shorts worn with a jacket and knee socks, I would agree, those aren't "sportswear." But I've never seen anyone dressed like that on a cruise. All of the shorts I saw in the Garden MDR aboard the Spirit a couple months ago were of the "cargo" variety - and those are most definitely "sportswear."

So here goes NCL once again with a dress code that makes no sense and/or contradicts itself. :-)

I agree, but I think a greater factor in these inconsistencies are all the lawyer-wannabes that like to play a game of semantics and believe that if a cruise line does not specifically exclude or prohibit something then it must be acceptable. Using that flawed logic then just about everything is acceptable onboard because it is impossible for a cruise to line to list every single thing or behavior that is not acceptable or in the spirit of the occasion. We would all be handed a book the size of a Websters dictionary upon boarding if cruise lines had to list everything that was not acceptable. I think they expect passengers to use a little common sense and look at their surroundings, location, and decor and dress appropriately for an evening in the MDR, not a trip to their local McDonalds. Some people just like to push the envelope and try to get away with as much as they can rather than trying to fit in with their fellow diners.

Cargo shorts are not dress shorts.

Dress shorts were allowed in all dining rooms on the NCL Spirit going to Bermuda the week I was on it. Not sure what is so difficult to understand.

The OP specifically asked if shorts were allowed on the Spirit in the restaurants (see title "dinner attire on spirit"). The answer is YES.

Love this debate though. :D

Cargo shorts are not dress shorts.

Dress shorts were allowed in all dining rooms on the NCL Spirit going to Bermuda the week I was on it. Not sure what is so difficult to understand.

The OP specifically asked if shorts were allowed on the Spirit in the restaurants (see title "dinner attire on spirit"). The answer is YES.

Love this debate though. :D

It all depends on what is meant by "allowed." Does it mean "allowed under the rules?" Or does it mean "allowed" in the sense that no enforcement was taken against it on a particular occasion? These are two very different questions in my opinion.

Back to the "dress shorts" issue, would you therefore agree with me that the gentlemen I observed wearing CARGO shorts in the Spirit's Garden MDR were probably doing so in violation of NCL's stated policy? :-)

And would it make any difference if I pointed out that one of the gentlemen in question was also wearing an untucked logo'd t-shirt? :-)

Make no mistake. I am not pro-slob.

T-shirts are not appropriate. Shirts have to have a collar. Cargo shorts are not appropriate.

Has no one seen dress shorts, a belt, shoes and socks, and a collared shirt in a nice restaurant before. Are you all barbarians? Have you never dined out in nice New England restaurant on a warm July evening?

Also, to beat a very dead horse, here is the NCL Spirit dress code published in the last week's Freestyle Daily:

"
What To Wear:

This clearly allows dress shorts, as was the case time after time in practice. Dress shorts are NOT sports wear!! Dress shorts are NOT cargo shorts!!

Love this debate.

P.S. No #@$% untucked logo t-shirts!!!

This thread is a trip and I did not realize that there were so many fashion police out there.

I will be on the Spirit in 1 month for the Boston to Bermuda cruise. This is my 7th NCL cruise and I have been on NCL to Bermuda before a few times.

My NCL welcome aboard documents say (p.6);

"Freestyle cruising is not too dressy, not too casual. We call it "resort casual". You call it being on vacation. By day, almost anything goes. Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts, or whatever is fine. Even if you've been at the pool and don't feel like changing... no worries. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. At night, it's reaxed all over the ship. When you are ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for men. Slacks or jeans, dresses or skirts and tops are perfect for women. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free- we've reserved a dining room just for that....."

This statement does not say capri's are ok for women and it does not say that dress shorts are ok for men. I personally have seen both on all of my NCL cruises to date. I can see that the shorts are a hot topic here. There also have been great threads on capris for women as well.

Shorts does not mean lack of manners or lack of class. I have been around many people following dress code that lack manners and class.

I know how to dress appropriately. I know how to follow the rules. I also was raised with manners meaning that If the person next to me in the dining room is not following the dress code it will not ruin my cruise and it certainly not my concern. For all I know their luggage did not make it to the ship. I see no need to inform the staff of NCL that they are not doing their job properly.

I will enjoy my cruise, I hope you all will too.

This thread is a trip and I did not realize that there were so many fashion police out there.

I will be on the Spirit in 1 month for the Boston to Bermuda cruise. This is my 7th NCL cruise and I have been on NCL to Bermuda before a few times.

My NCL welcome aboard documents say (p.6);

"Freestyle cruising is not too dressy, not too casual. We call it "resort casual". You call it being on vacation. By day, almost anything goes. Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts, or whatever is fine. Even if you've been at the pool and don't feel like changing... no worries. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. At night, it's reaxed all over the ship. When you are ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for men. Slacks or jeans, dresses or skirts and tops are perfect for women. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free- we've reserved a dining room just for that....."

This statement does not say capri's are ok for women and it does not say that dress shorts are ok for men. I personally have seen both on all of my NCL cruises to date. I can see that the shorts are a hot topic here. There also have been great threads on capris for women as well.

Shorts does not mean lack of manners or lack of class. I have been around many people following dress code that lack manners and class.

I know how to dress appropriately. I know how to follow the rules. I also was raised with manners meaning that If the person next to me in the dining room is not following the dress code it will not ruin my cruise and it certainly not my concern. For all I know their luggage did not make it to the ship. I see no need to inform the staff of NCL that they are not doing their job properly.

I will enjoy my cruise, I hope you all will too.

I agree with your post, Jim. :)

Archived