Hard to Pack Jeans

TrinaP1204

my suggestion is too only pack one pair. capris would be the main item for my bottoms along with cute tee's and a nice pair of slacks/top for dinner. believe me, you wont wear half the clothes you think you will need and take. for my june cruise next year i am going to take 2 comfy carpris, 3 tops i can mix and match with them, 1 pair of stretch jeans in a lightweight material, a nice pair of slacks and 2 tops for dinner, a lightweight sweater, nylon windbreaker, 2 swimsuits/ cover-up and the most comfortable outfit i can find for the flight that i can wear going back home also. that is about it for me except for a pair of tennies, 1 pair sandles that will double for my dinning and ship wear along with 1 pair flip-flops for the pool. undies/socks of course with p j's and that is it. if i need a tee shirt they are everywhere in the ports at really cheap prices. i have learned that a carry-on is so easy to take and have plenty too wear. i dont get dirty to rewearing something does not bother me. have a great time. :)

I gave up taking jeans to Alaska long ago and now take cargo pants and one pair of nice wool slacks that I can dress up with a blazer and blouse for dinners.

I don't like the idea of capris due to the biting bugs issue. Real ankle biters.

my suggestion is too only pack one pair. capris would be the main item for my bottoms along with cute tee's and a nice pair of slacks/top for dinner. believe me, you wont wear half the clothes you think you will need and take. for my june cruise next year i am going to take 2 comfy carpris, 3 tops i can mix and match with them, 1 pair of stretch jeans in a lightweight material, a nice pair of slacks and 2 tops for dinner, a lightweight sweater, nylon windbreaker, 2 swimsuits/ cover-up and the most comfortable outfit i can find for the flight that i can wear going back home also. that is about it for me except for a pair of tennies, 1 pair sandles that will double for my dinning and ship wear along with 1 pair flip-flops for the pool. undies/socks of course with p j's and that is it. if i need a tee shirt they are everywhere in the ports at really cheap prices. i have learned that a carry-on is so easy to take and have plenty too wear. i dont get dirty to rewearing something does not bother me. have a great time. :)

Good information here. Do you think we will need heavy jackets in Aug for the cruise part of the inside passage? We don't tend to get cold easily and don't want to have to tote a bulky coat for the trip. We are sailing from Vancouver to Whittier and then will join the land portion for 8 nights.

How formal are the 2 formal nights. Will the guys be ok with long sleeve shirts and nice slacks? Us gals will just wear a nice slack suit.

I'm having a terrible time deciding what to bring also.....next week the highs in Alaska are around 60.

That seems a little cold for Capri’s especially if you are on the water or deep in the woods.

I really don't want to wear the same pants for 18 days!

If this was my packing list for my June 15 cruise in 2008, I would have froze!!!! I didn't bring jeans, but I did bring long johns, lined windpants, fleece pants/tops, turtlenecks, and a waterproof jacket. Also brought convertible mittens, ear muffs and wool socks. I USED THEM ALL and was glad I had them. And no, I don't live in a warm climate. I live in Michigan, so I am used to cold.

I'm having a terrible time deciding what to bring also.....next week the highs in Alaska are around 60.

That seems a little cold for Capri’s especially if you are on the water or deep in the woods.

I really don't want to wear the same pants for 18 days!

We were gone for 18 days and most of that time I wore my windpants, with or without the fleece pants I brought. I did do laundry along the way.

Alaska is as large as half of the lower 48. It's doubtful the entire state will be in one range.

In Juneau alone, it can be ten degrees colder out at the glacier than downtown. And a week ahead forecast is basically useless.

All week through Thursday, I heard that Friday night, when our fireworks were set off, would be cloudy, a bit of mist.

It was nearly 80, clear as a bell. Has been all weekend.

It sure is hard to think about packing jeans for our Aug 7th cruise to Alaska. It has been 100 degrees here in Arkansas.

Jeans during the day is all we wear. We've never had an occasion to wear shorts or capris in Alaska. You never know what the weather in Alaska will be. It might be 80 one day and 55 the next. Take the advice of the seasoned travelers. Take lightweight layers to add or remove with the temperature changes.

I took 2 pr of jeans and used the ship's laundry when needed. Our family also spent all days in jeans or casual khaki's and either long or short sleeved t shirts, plus we always carried our lightweight jackets with us. I also took one pr of capris for just in case and wore them a little bit during the day on the ship. Trust me, if you are like the majority of the people on our ship which just returned about 5 days ago, you will want to have a pair of jeans, slong sleeve shirt or sweater, windbreaker w/ a hood, and likely a scarf on when your ship cruises past the glaciers and you are out on the deck taking pics!! :)

Our "summer" hadn't started yet in our area of SoCal before we left for the cruise. When we got back, we were hit with the upper 90's temps so it was a real shock to the system! Come this August, I'll be dreaming of being in Alaska!!

Have a great time,

We just returned on Saturday from our Alaska trip. Except for our one day in Juneau, the weather was overcast and in the low 60's but without the sun, I thought it felt even colder. I took two pair of jeans and used them almost every day. I also had a pair of pants from Lands End that are long, but roll up to capri length. I wore those when we boarded and again when we got off...never did roll them up to capri length. Of course, the weather forecast for this week was 70's and 80's!:(

I guess it depends on what you are used to. For me, 60 is often warm enough for shorts!

I'm going at the end of this month (July 26) and I plan to check the weather reports the week before, but I'll probably bring a couple of pairs of shorts, a couple of pairs of capris, and a couple of pairs of jeans/long pants. I do not intend to bring long underwear or a heavy coat. I live in the Seattle area and I'm used to dressing in layers.

Last time I was in AK, I wore jeans on the White Pass RR in Skagway and regretted it. I'd have been comfortable in shorts!

I was there last July and only packed one pair of jeans and wore them just about everyday. Also, only packed a couple pair of socks and had to wash them out, thought I would be good wearing flip flops or ankle socks--not the case need something longer. Only wore shorts once I believe. Will be going this July again and will pack differently this time!

• 3 weeks later...
Good information here. Do you think we will need heavy jackets in Aug for the cruise part of the inside passage? We don't tend to get cold easily and don't want to have to tote a bulky coat for the trip. We are sailing from Vancouver to Whittier and then will join the land portion for 8 nights.

How formal are the 2 formal nights. Will the guys be ok with long sleeve shirts and nice slacks? Us gals will just wear a nice slack suit.

Someone asked about coats when it is only 60 degrees, but you have to remember that is the average. Every time I've been to Alaska (from May until Sept) we've had days that get up to 75, and sometimes in the 80's.

I would never take a heavy jacket (too bulky). Alaska in the summer is all about layers. In one day on Tracey Arm, I stated in a long t-shirt with a turtlneck over the top, a sweater, a fleece vest, and a rain proof thin lined jacket. As the day warmed up on our Glacier cruise, each layer started coming off until I ended up in the long sleeve t-shirt! When we turned around and started back out of the fjord, the layers went back on again (at least most of them!)

We are from AZ and our summers are typically around 110-120 when we head out to Alaska! So depending on where you live in the country, you may get colder easier or less frequently. My brothers live in CO, and I look at them like they are freaks when they come out to visit me in the winter and wear their shorts when it is 60 degrees:D

I guess it depends on what you are used to. For me, 60 is often warm enough for shorts!

I'm going at the end of this month (July 26) and I plan to check the weather reports the week before, but I'll probably bring a couple of pairs of shorts, a couple of pairs of capris, and a couple of pairs of jeans/long pants. I do not intend to bring long underwear or a heavy coat. I live in the Seattle area and I'm used to dressing in layers.

Last time I was in AK, I wore jeans on the White Pass RR in Skagway and regretted it. I'd have been comfortable in shorts!

. Thanks for the info .My sister and I are sailing July 26th on .Norwegian SUN. We've never been to Alaska before and have been warned of the varying weather changes. Should we brng gloves, scrves,etc? We hope to make some Cruise Critic buddies (dan old laptop kyboard!!.

Do bring gloves - they are handy on glacier days when you're hanging on to your hot chocolate or binoculars, or just sitting on your balcony. A rain/wind jacket that you can pair with fleece is much more functional (and easier to pack) than a heavy coat.

Just returned from a one week northbound cruise and 5 days on land. The weather was quite warm but what I had brought would have been good even if it had been cold.

1 pair jeans

1 pair lined windpants

1 pair black yoga pants

1 pair capris

4 t shirts

3 long sleeved t shirts

1 black lightweight jacket (yoga jacket) I wore this a lot.

1 polar fleece zip up jacket

Waterproof/breathable jacket (lightweight North Face)

2 dresses for formal night

We found that formal night was not as formal as other cruises we've taken. Some folks were in tuxes/formal gowns but most had shirts/ties and women had pants and nice top or dress.

Jeans are great but if it's pouring rain they will make you miserable and they don't dry fast. We wore jeans alot but it never rained.

Layering works best.

We did bring hats and gloves but never needed them due to the temperature. My daughter did wear hers once on one of our boat tours as she found the wind chilly.

There are lots of clothes for sale in the ports for very reasonable prices if you are caught short.

We just returmned from Alaska. We followed the advice of others and brought layers...never needed more that 3 layers (while whale watching). a sweat shirt was the heaviest thing...didn't even need gloves.

I also used the self sealing extra large vacuum bags to pack sweat shirts, sweaters, jeans and a jacket. These worked great. Saves lots of room!

Archived