Great Wall China, Personal Tourguide from Port

PassagePoint

We are in Beijing one day and want to take a private tour to the Mutianyu Great Wall. We have been in contact with the China Highlights and Beijing Service tour companies with price quotes for 6 people ranging from $140 pp for Beijing Service to $168 pp for China Highlights. Do you have any comments re: quality of either company and willingness to negotiate prices quoted or are these very fair?

We are in Beijing one day and want to take a private tour to the Mutianyu Great Wall. We have been in contact with the China Highlights and Beijing Service tour companies with price quotes for 6 people ranging from $140 pp for Beijing Service to $168 pp for China Highlights. Do you have any comments re: quality of either company and willingness to negotiate prices quoted or are these very fair?

I have used China Highlights for a lot of things (I do business in Asia). They have booked a Yangtze cruise, a trip to Lhasa, an absolutely fantastic two days at a mountain preserve to see wild pandas, as well as airport pickups numerous times, translator services and even a fancy dinner on the grounds of the Summer Palace for 45 business associates, 1/2 of which do not speak English very well, so I needed quite a few translators there. I trust the Guillin office explicitly to provide what they say they will provide.

One reason I think it is so expensive-you have too few for one of the "normal" buses (which hold 24-48) and too many for a car. So you are requiring almost specialized transportation. There really aren't a lot of 10 passengers vans in China. You do realize that you have about 7-8 hours of driving total???? 2-3 hours each way to/from the port to Beijing and about 2 to Mitianyu (it is a 30 minute drive further than Badaling). If you are not leaving from the port, the price should be more in the range of $75.00pp.

I would just ask if they can't do all 6 for something like $825. Tell them you are also looking at another tour company. BUT be fair. They will generally negotiate somewhat.

Before you start negotiating, find out first EXACTLY what is included. Sometimes China Highlights includes food and sometimes they don't. I was surprised when I went to both Lhasa and Wolong that food (breakfast and dinner) was included. Good luck and enjoy!!!

Hi

Connie and Bll here. We also would like to see the Great Wall. If you can gather more in your group to include a bus tour and reduce the price, we would like to join you. Keep us posted.

Connie

cb52@yahoo.com

Hi

Connie and Bll here. We also would like to see the Great Wall. If you can gather more in your group to include a bus tour and reduce the price, we would like to join you. Keep us posted.

Connie

cb52@yahoo.com

I'm sorry, my keyboard was sticking and I just noticed that my email address is wrong. It is cb562@yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...
I have used China Highlights for a lot of things (I do business in Asia). They have booked a Yangtze cruise, a trip to Lhasa, an absolutely fantastic two days at a mountain preserve to see wild pandas, as well as airport pickups numerous times, translator services and even a fancy dinner on the grounds of the Summer Palace for 45 business associates, 1/2 of which do not speak English very well, so I needed quite a few translators there. I trust the Guillin office explicitly to provide what they say they will provide.

One reason I think it is so expensive-you have too few for one of the "normal" buses (which hold 24-48) and too many for a car. So you are requiring almost specialized transportation. There really aren't a lot of 10 passengers vans in China. You do realize that you have about 7-8 hours of driving total???? 2-3 hours each way to/from the port to Beijing and about 2 to Mitianyu (it is a 30 minute drive further than Badaling). If you are not leaving from the port, the price should be more in the range of $75.00pp.

I would just ask if they can't do all 6 for something like $825. Tell them you are also looking at another tour company. BUT be fair. They will generally negotiate somewhat.

Before you start negotiating, find out first EXACTLY what is included. Sometimes China Highlights includes food and sometimes they don't. I was surprised when I went to both Lhasa and Wolong that food (breakfast and dinner) was included. Good luck and enjoy!!!

Greatam, we might be in Bejing for a day in February (we still do not have our international flights and the prices just keep going up). My question is what should a day tour for two people to the Great Wall be from the airport? If we go to Bejing on our way to Hong Kong we will likely stay at an airport hotel. Thanks.

Greatam, we might be in Bejing for a day in February (we still do not have our international flights and the prices just keep going up). My question is what should a day tour for two people to the Great Wall be from the airport? If we go to Bejing on our way to Hong Kong we will likely stay at an airport hotel. Thanks.

Arranged through your hotel, I would expect to pay about $150.00 for two for either Badaling or Mutinayu, about $50 more for Simatai and Huanghuache (which are much more difficult to climb and not nearly as restored but not nearly as crowded either). You may find a better deal on a "seat in coach" tour (tour bus) but you may have problems with pickup from an airport hotel since it is some distance from the main tourist area and tourist hotels (40 minutes, 16-20 miles).

Arranged through your hotel, I would expect to pay about $150.00 for two for either Badaling or Mutinayu, about $50 more for Simatai and Huanghuache (which are much more difficult to climb and not nearly as restored but not nearly as crowded either). You may find a better deal on a "seat in coach" tour (tour bus) but you may have problems with pickup from an airport hotel since it is some distance from the main tourist area and tourist hotels (40 minutes, 16-20 miles).

Ok, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to email China Highlights for a private tour to the Mutianyu Great Wall. We may have a free place to stay in Bejing, but won't know until 30 days out so can't engage a hotel at this time. I am hoping to stay by the airport since we are coming in at 8:30pm at night. China Highlights standard tour is 6 hours.

We can do longer, and besides Mutianyu want to see Tianamen Square. What else could we fit in an extended tour, Summer Palace, Ming tombs, drive by Olympic Park/Birds Nest, Pandas in the zoo? What is realistic? We have one full day and leaving the next morning. Thanks.

I am going to email China Highlights for a private tour to the Mutianyu Great Wall. We may have a free place to stay in Bejing, but won't know until 30 days out so can't engage a hotel at this time. I am hoping to stay by the airport since we are coming in at 8:30pm at night. China Highlights standard tour is 6 hours.

We can do longer, and besides Mutianyu want to see Tianamen Square. What else could we fit in an extended tour, Summer Palace, Ming tombs, drive by Olympic Park/Birds Nest, Pandas in the zoo? What is realistic? We have one full day and leaving the next morning. Thanks.

I would make sure I visit a hutong (there are only a few left-most were destroyed before the Olympics), the night market (not the government store or the touristy stuff-the REAL market). IIRC, the Beijing Zoo only has one panda, so may be a waste of time. Go see the Olympic stuff-I haven't seen it since it was finished, just saw them building all of it. Looked truly spectacular on TV during the Olympics. You also might want to do the cliche Peking Duck dinner and the acrobat show (I have seen two of them and they are really good)

You MAY want to visit Forbidden City-it is HUGE and takes a long time. But some of the stuff was interesting. I just kind of ran through it, stopped and looked at what I wanted, otherwise, blew most of it off. It would be hard to just blow through with a guide who is trained to explain everything.

Summer Palace/Ming tombs-only if you are into all the ancient stuff. I am not, so would not bother. I am much more a sit on the corner, watch the people, see what makes the country "tick" type person than see the tourist stuff-museums, etc. One big reason I think I am in the business I am in. Logistics and transportation coupled with manufacturing are what makes countries "tick", so I get the entire spectrum just hanging around docks, warehouses and meeting business people.

Enjoy Beijing but be prepared for the absolutely horrible air pollution. Makes 1970 Los Angeles air look VERY clean!!!

As always, greatam has great suggestions. In fact, we booked with China Highlights for our trip May 2009 because of recommendations on this board.

Since you only have one day, here are my recommendations based on our one trip to Beijing:

1. Great Wall at Mutianyu with lunch (1/2 day) - We were there on a holiday weekend and although it was crowded getting through the vendors and taking the cable car to the wall, once we were on the wall the crowds were not bad at all. We even have some pictures of the wall with no people!

2. Quick stop at Tiananmen Square (after all it is just a big square, but we Americans think of the person stopping the tank near there) and drive-by of the Olympic venues (Birds Nest, Water Cube and amazing Olympic hotel). You should be able to get really good photos from the van window and the driver will stop briefly or go very slowly.

3. For the rest of the day I would opt for hutong tour or Temple of Heaven instead of Forbidden City or Summer Palace, but that is just my suggestion. Forbidden City took us about 2-1/2 or 3 hrs walking from south to north gate. Summer Palace really isn't a palace, but more grounds and a lake, and while very pretty and interesting, I would not put it above Temple of Heaven. We loved Temple of Heaven park with the people singing, playing cards, dancing, but it really depends upon what your interests are. Our hutong tour (via bicycle rickshaw) through China Highlights included stopping at one of the hutongs and "talking" to the owner. Our guide translated. We could ask him any questions about his family, the hutong, etc. It was a lot of fun!

I agree with greatam about the Night Market off Wangfujing Street--really fun--and also the acrobatic show--they have nightly shows at 5:15 and 7:30.

We did everything through China Highlights, except for the Night Market and maximized our time by having someone take us around.

The price sounds expensive, tourism is down, I'm surprised its so expensive.

For a day you'll need to make choices about what to see. The greatwall is timeless but a drive there and back and the horrible traffic could make it the only stop.

The other alternative would be to spend the time in centeral Beijing itself and get a few more sites; Forbbiden City, the Square, Temple of Heaven, and a stop for real Peking Duck is another alternative.

If you are there during summer you'll find the wall very crowded with local Chinese tourist and like all places crawling with souvenior hawkers to, but that is true with all the other big stops to. If you vist the square, don't ask anyone there especially the vendors where the man stopped the tank :D

Enjoy Beijing

You MAY want to visit Forbidden City-it is HUGE and takes a long time. But some of the stuff was interesting. I just kind of ran through it, stopped and looked at what I wanted, otherwise, blew most of it off. It would be hard to just blow through with a guide who is trained to explain everything.

Summer Palace/Ming tombs-only if you are into all the ancient stuff. I am not, so would not bother. I am much more a sit on the corner, watch the people, see what makes the country "tick" type person than see the tourist stuff-museums, etc. One big reason I think I am in the business I am in. Logistics and transportation coupled with manufacturing are what makes countries "tick", so I get the entire spectrum just hanging around docks, warehouses and meeting business people.

Enjoy Beijing but be prepared for the absolutely horrible air pollution. Makes 1970 Los Angeles air look VERY clean!!!

You would get along great with my DH. While I like the old stuff he hates sightseeing including museums (although he likes Science Museums). In Florence we had multiple reservations and he just blew them off, including the Academia, Synagogue, and Medici Chapels! He preferred to hang out with our driver and watch the people walking around. Of course I went inside with others from our group. Fortunately they were reservations and not pre-paid tickets.

Is the pollution worse than Athens? Ok, I haven't been there in 25 years but it stood out as the worst. I also lived in Thailand in the early 90's and Bangkok was really bad.

If you vist the square, don't ask anyone there especially the vendors where the man stopped the tank :D

Enjoy Beijing

Hi Chipmaster. Did they ever find out what happened to that man, or who he was?

I agree with greatam about the Night Market off Wangfujing Street--really fun--and also the acrobatic show--they have nightly shows at 5:15 and 7:30.

We did everything through China Highlights, except for the Night Market and maximized our time by having someone take us around.

Maybe I shouldn't stay at an airport hotel? We are getting in at 8:30pm in the evening. Also leaving 2 days later on an 8:00am flight to HKG. I thought we could save on transfer costs.

Who puts on the acrobatic shows? Where are they located. We will skip the duck. Is the airport or downtown closer to the wall?

Maybe I shouldn't stay at an airport hotel? We are getting in at 8:30pm in the evening. Also leaving 2 days later on an 8:00am flight to HKG. I thought we could save on transfer costs.

Who puts on the acrobatic shows? Where are they located. We will skip the duck. Is the airport or downtown closer to the wall?

Difficult decision. You do have an early flight so staying at an airport hotel makes it easier that morning so that really makes sense. Since you get in at 8:30pm, you probably won't have time to do anything that night by the time you get through the airport and check into your hotel.

The acrobatic show that we saw was at the Chaoyang Theater (http://www.bycyjc.com), although we booked through China Highlights so they took us there and then delivered us back to our hotel. If you want a really full day seems like you could do touring during the day plus the acrobatic show and then get to the Night Market. It really doesn't take much time to go through there but seeing the scorpions, crickets and other parts on a stick was entertaining. Also, walking on Wangfujing Street (pedestrian street) was interesting. Then you could get a taxi back to your airport hotel.

Maybe someone else on the boards has a different take on whether or not to stay in an airport hotel. We stayed at the Park Plaza Wangfujing and could walk to the Night Market, and Forbidden City if we wanted to walk quite a way. The area was very nice where we stayed.

If you want a really full day seems like you could do touring during the day plus the acrobatic show and then get to the Night Market. It really doesn't take much time to go through there but seeing the scorpions, crickets and other parts on a stick was entertaining. .

A question about the night market? They aren't eating or selling any reptiles, are they? We have pet Tortoises, an Iguana and others. If so, I will skip it.

The bugs won't bother me.

A question about the night market? They aren't eating or selling any reptiles, are they? We have pet Tortoises, an Iguana and others. If so, I will skip it.

The bugs won't bother me.

My recollection only bugs, you can buy and eat tasty bugs that in another country you'd squash.

In Taiwan we had the opportunity to visit snake alley where you could eat a snake or drinks various fluids from it, interesting, but we passed in both markets on trying that exotic fare.

:D

2114897021_034Day3BejingNightMarketBugdelights.jpg.5f45ceaeda015f2ae6cc86a6f4e89a74.jpg

876344122_1000SnakeAlley.jpg.594a752b27b90323f98a40b0989c4b10.jpg

As always, greatam has great suggestions. In fact, we booked with China Highlights for our trip May 2009 because of recommendations on this board.

Since you only have one day, here are my recommendations based on our one trip to Beijing:

1. Great Wall at Mutianyu with lunch (1/2 day) - We were there on a holiday weekend and although it was crowded getting through the vendors and taking the cable car to the wall, once we were on the wall the crowds were not bad at all. We even have some pictures of the wall with no people!

2. Quick stop at Tiananmen Square (after all it is just a big square, but we Americans think of the person stopping the tank near there) and drive-by of the Olympic venues (Birds Nest, Water Cube and amazing Olympic hotel). You should be able to get really good photos from the van window and the driver will stop briefly or go very slowly.

3. For the rest of the day I would opt for hutong tour or Temple of Heaven instead of Forbidden City or Summer Palace, but that is just my suggestion. Forbidden City took us about 2-1/2 or 3 hrs walking from south to north gate. Summer Palace really isn't a palace, but more grounds and a lake, and while very pretty and interesting, I would not put it above Temple of Heaven. We loved Temple of Heaven park with the people singing, playing cards, dancing, but it really depends upon what your interests are. Our hutong tour (via bicycle rickshaw) through China Highlights included stopping at one of the hutongs and "talking" to the owner. Our guide translated. We could ask him any questions about his family, the hutong, etc. It was a lot of fun!

This is pretty much what I am asking for. They didn't understand my first email and offered a 1.5 day tour. It sounds like it is 2.5 hours to the Mutianyu Great Wall (from downtown), so that is 5 hours of driving. Do you know if this section of the wall is closer or further from the airport? We are planning to stay at an airport hotel.

Denverite, how many days was your tour?

I also told them we want to skip the fish restaurant at the Great Wall as well as factory visit. The restaurant they use in downtown Bejing sounds better.

They also said to skip the Ming Tombs because they have poor reviews by their clients and it sounded like only 2 of the 13 are open.

Can you go through a Hutong without a rickshaw? I assume it would be on foot? I would think this could be last after everything else closes?

I told the they came highly recommended and they said they'd give a 5% discount with another clients name or booking code info.

Jade13:

Contact me by e-mail and I'll give you some additional specific information, as well as information to get the 5% discount. My email is FSusman at comcast.net.

As for hutong tour, you would need some type of transportation to get through the hutong area--the rickshaw was actually fun and it would probably be faster to go by rickshaw instead of on foot, plus you get to see a bit more.

I don't remember it taking 2-1/2 hrs to get to Mutianyu but I'll check my notes, and not really sure how far the airport is. I'll check my map.

We didn't go to the Ming Tombs, but I would skip them since you really don't have a lot of time.

We toured with China Highlights for 3 days.

We formed a group of 13 passengers from the MS Amsterdam during our 2 day stopover in Beijing in Oct. 2007. We used Beijing Services because they had the ideal vehicle which was a mini-bus which comfortably seats about

14. They picked us up at the port and we toured all those places mentioned above except for Hutong and Ming Tombs. Did an overnight stay at the Regent in Beijing which was super. Nothing but good things to say about Beijing Services. Great guide and they let us custom our tour so that we used the time efficiently.

Jade13:

Contact me by e-mail and I'll give you some additional specific information, as well as information to get the 5% discount. My email is FSusman at comcast.net.

As for hutong tour, you would need some type of transportation to get through the hutong area--the rickshaw was actually fun and it would probably be faster to go by rickshaw instead of on foot, plus you get to see a bit more.

I don't remember it taking 2-1/2 hrs to get to Mutianyu but I'll check my notes, and not really sure how far the airport is. I'll check my map.

We didn't go to the Ming Tombs, but I would skip them since you really don't have a lot of time.

We toured with China Highlights for 3 days.

Ok, I will contact you off line. Thanks. If you don't hear from me for a few days its bacause I had to go out of town.

I just heard back and Mutianyu is actually closer to the airport so we are going to try to stay at an airport hotel, especially since we are arriving at 8:30pm in the evening.

China Highlights has quoted me $327 for two people, but for an extended tour from 7:00am-6:00pm (11 hours). Their normal tour is from 9:00am-5:00pm. This price includes the extra time/cost to pick us up from an airport hotel and drop off, includes the cable car at the Great Wall, lunch and 2 soft drinks.

I asked for clarification because they initially told me the section of the Great Wall we wanted to see was closer to the airport (maybe they meant closer than other sections), but they estimate 3 hours to get there and 2.5 hours back to the city center. We asked for a restaurant in the city center (not the fish restaurant at the Wall). This includes Tianamen and the Forbidden City (near each other), but we must get tickets by 4:00pm. Initially they said it would include a drive by some Olympic sites and the Hutong, time permitting, but neither was included on the quote. This is suppose to be the discounted price even though I haven't given any name from CC. It still sounds expensive to me for China.

I'm wondering if there is a way to get a driver guide vs both a driver and guide (plus than we only have one person to tip) and my DH can't stand all the info from the guides who stand in one place for a very long time. Any comments?

We have gotten about the same quote per person for 2 people. It includes airport pick-up and drop off, and I am not sure if that is further or closer to the cruise port. It also includes the cable car, lunch and two soft drinks. Plus it anticipates an extended tour time of 11 hours vs their standard 8 hours. I just decided we needed to be back by 6:00pm or DH won't talk to me :)

I thought it sounded high for China but on the other hand we are flying all the way there for one full day just to see the Great Wall on our way to Hong Kong for our cruise. I'm also going to get hit with extra luggage fees. I've avoided them for years, but ended up with a single seperate ticket from Bejing to Hong Kong.

China Highlights has quoted me $327 for two people, but for an extended tour from 7:00am-6:00pm (11 hours). Their normal tour is from 9:00am-5:00pm. This price includes the extra time/cost to pick us up from an airport hotel and drop off, includes the cable car at the Great Wall, lunch and 2 soft drinks.

I asked for clarification because they initially told me the section of the Great Wall we wanted to see was closer to the airport (maybe they meant closer than other sections), but they estimate 3 hours to get there and 2.5 hours back to the city center. We asked for a restaurant in the city center (not the fish restaurant at the Wall). This includes Tianamen and the Forbidden City (near each other), but we must get tickets by 4:00pm. Initially they said it would include a drive by some Olympic sites and the Hutong, time permitting, but neither was included on the quote. This is suppose to be the discounted price even though I haven't given any name from CC. It still sounds expensive to me for China.

I'm wondering if there is a way to get a driver guide vs both a driver and guide (plus than we only have one person to tip) and my DH can't stand all the info from the guides who stand in one place for a very long time. Any comments?

$327 for two people is too expensive.we found konglin via tripadvisor.we did Mutianyu Great Wall,Olympic sites,Lama Temple. the day cost $150.But this price just including car and guide.we paid the entrance,cable car, toboggan and lunch.those are not too much,total about $80 or $90.

$327 for two people is too expensive.we found konglin via tripadvisor.we did Mutianyu Great Wall,Olympic sites,Lama Temple. the day cost $150.But this price just including car and guide.we paid the entrance,cable car, toboggan and lunch.those are not too much,total about $80 or $90.

Ok, but just note this includes the extra cost to pick us up and drop us off at the airport. I understand it's an extra 40 minutes or so each way for the driver and guide, plus they have to go back to Bejing, I think. This is for 11 hours (plus their driving to and from the airport to get us and drop us off).

Were you picked up at the port, Bejing city center, or at the airport? This is about $117.00 more than you paid when we add in your costs for lunch and cable car (and includes Forbidden City entrance fee - maybe someone knows that cost?)

Archived