Shipping luggage independently

jascarb

I am deciding between the company "luggage forward" and "luggage free" to ship our stuff for our upcoming O cruise in 3 weeks to the Med. Has anyone used these companies and have any thoughts/experiences using them?

I am deciding between the company "luggage forward" and "luggage free" to ship our stuff for our upcoming O cruise in 3 weeks to the Med. Has anyone used these companies and have any thoughts/experiences using them?

We looked into both of those services before our recent 3 week trip to Europe.

I was interested in shipping the luggage, mostly because Stan "handles" that end of it for us, and this was a trip to celebrate his birthday, so I would have preferred that he not have to deal with the bags.

After getting prices, however, I realized that he would enjoy a week in a suite at the Ritz Carleton more!

Our estimate for shipping the two bags that we would have checked to Athens and then back to Connecticut from Rome, was WELL over $5000.

I'll see you at the baggage claim ;)

The international luggage allowance across the Atlantic is one of the great bargains out there. If you REALLY want to pay for the convenience, then go ahead. But, even if you tip porters with $20 bills, you'll come out way ahead monetarily by having your luggage go with you.

Think about this....if you take a cab or limo to your airport, the driver can schlep it for you. At the airport on both ends, skycaps. Limo/taxi/shuttle at your Euro airport. Hotel porters. Cab driver to the ship. Porters at the cruise terminal. If you don't want to, you almost never have to touch your own bag.

No no no you won't see me at baggage claim-on the way there at least. :).

I'm only shipping it one way and on the return we are stopping off in London so we are going to take our bags with us. At that point I won't care as much if the airlines loose my bags or I have to stand around waiting for them at the end of the trip. The cost is not horrible-depending on how full and heavy I fill the suitcases that is! I am a girl! Upper class on Virgin Atlantic has some really good luggage allowances-3 bags up to 75 lbs each I think it is...we would probably get hit with some fees on the quick hop on BA from London to venice because they have a much worse baggage allowance but that's okay. It is what it is.

At this point, there is no question about IF we will ship...question is with whom. I am on vacation and want a stress free luggage free vacation. I plan on walking on the plane with a purse and a roller bag and that's it. Just wondered if anyone out there has any experience with either company shipping Internationally.

Hope there is someone out there that has.

Have you checked out Luggage Club? This is the service we used when we went to China last year. Our bags were picked up and then delivered to our hotel in Hong Kong. It worked out great because we had a 10 day tour in China before we arrived in Hong Kong.

Our estimate for shipping the two bags that we would have checked to Athens and then back to Connecticut from Rome, was WELL over $5000.

It would be cheaper just to buy all new clothes. :eek:

Have you checked out Luggage Club? This is the service we used when we went to China last year. Our bags were picked up and then delivered to our hotel in Hong Kong. It worked out great because we had a 10 day tour in China before we arrived in Hong Kong.

Thanks. I checked it out...a little more expensive than luggage forward by a few hundred bucks but I'm considering it unless someone tells me they've had a great experience with Luggage Forward. Looks like they include more insurance too.

Research the private luggage transfer companies and choose the one that meets your needs. For us last year this would have cost $1800.00. Then.forget about it and use the airline's baggage allowance. When our bags rolled off the carousel in Rome's airport HURRAH!!!!!!. We just saved

$1800.00. What a great way to start a cruise vacation. John H

I pulled the trigger and went with Luggage Forward-I picked one company (they seemed to be the most reasonably priced and a lot of articles about them) and I am hoping for the best. They are coming to pick up our bags on Monday which is nice that it is making me get packed early so that I don't have to be stressed out at the last minute doing it like I normally do.

I'll post how it went if anyone else is interested in it in the future. Although maybe not...nobody so far seems to think it is as good as an idea as I do! To each their own I guess. Seems like such a great service they provide. It is unfortunate that Oceania doesn't offer this. They pick up from your home or office, take care of customs, get it to the port and to the ship and offer more insurance than any airline by far. Pretty cool...I'm excited. I will be even more excited when all of my Christian Dior shoes show up on the other end ;) !!!!!!!

No no no you won't see me at baggage claim-on the way there at least. :).

I'm only shipping it one way and on the return we are stopping off in London so we are going to take our bags with us. At that point I won't care as much if the airlines loose my bags or I have to stand around waiting for them at the end of the trip. The cost is not horrible-depending on how full and heavy I fill the suitcases that is! I am a girl! Upper class on Virgin Atlantic has some really good luggage allowances-3 bags up to 75 lbs each I think it is...we would probably get hit with some fees on the quick hop on BA from London to venice because they have a much worse baggage allowance but that's okay. It is what it is.

At this point, there is no question about IF we will ship...question is with whom. I am on vacation and want a stress free luggage free vacation. I plan on walking on the plane with a purse and a roller bag and that's it. Just wondered if anyone out there has any experience with either company shipping Internationally.

Hope there is someone out there that has.

I use Luggage Forward all the time because as you..I do not want the hassle at the airport and wondering if my luggage will get there..I have found them extremely reliable and enjoy when I board going to my stateroom and having my luggage there!

Jancruz1

I use Luggage Forward all the time because as you..I do not want the hassle at the airport and wondering if my luggage will get there..I have found them extremely reliable and enjoy when I board going to my stateroom and having my luggage there!

Jancruz1

Jan-thank you thank you. I feel so much better now. Did you use them when traveling on Oceania? My worry is that the cruise line is going to not accept the luggage if I am not with it and I'm going to arrive on the ship and spend time trying to hunt it down. Our plane arrives in Venice at 1:00. Embarkation says 3:00. We are not going to a hotel first. We are packing 2 full outfits in our carry on like we always do when flying commercial so we don't have to rely on luggage. I"ve learned my lesson after having lost luggage about 50% of the time traveling on multiple legs. I have horrible luck! I just would be amazed if it is actually sitting in our stateroom when we arrive. Too many chances of a mix up but I am hopeful that it gets there. I will know that it hits Italy before we leave...I just hope it makes it to the ship an into my stateroom like you said. I would be overjoyed and worth the $1,000 or so bucks I paid to ship one way!

I waived bye bye to my suitcases today and I am saying a prayer that they arrive safely in Italy on time, in one piece, and without my shoes stolen. If this goes as planned this is the easiest and best way to deal with luggage. I used Luggage Forward and they've been really helpful on the phone. They sent me a packet with all of the documents including my packing list printed out (I filled out how many of each item from a drop down menu list on their website). It had my passport copy, a statement I had to sign for customs, and all the paperwork was really quick and easy. There were big thick luggage tags that I attached and off they went this morning. The driver picked them up early and must have thought I was a nut case when I leaned down and kissed one of my suitcases goodbye. I have such horrible luck with airlines loosing my luggage so if this doesn't work then I give up! I am always stressed out before I leave trying to pack last minute the night before so this forced me to get it done.

Jan-thank you thank you. I feel so much better now. Did you use them when traveling on Oceania? My worry is that the cruise line is going to not accept the luggage if I am not with it and I'm going to arrive on the ship and spend time trying to hunt it down. Our plane arrives in Venice at 1:00. Embarkation says 3:00. We are not going to a hotel first. We are packing 2 full outfits in our carry on like we always do when flying commercial so we don't have to rely on luggage. I"ve learned my lesson after having lost luggage about 50% of the time traveling on multiple legs. I have horrible luck! I just would be amazed if it is actually sitting in our stateroom when we arrive. Too many chances of a mix up but I am hopeful that it gets there. I will know that it hits Italy before we leave...I just hope it makes it to the ship an into my stateroom like you said. I would be overjoyed and worth the $1,000 or so bucks I paid to ship one way!

Not only do they accept it..it is in your stateroom when you arrive and by the time other people get their luggage you are all unpacked and relaxed on the veranda with a drink!! After you send it once you will always do it on the outbound..we never do it on the return, because whenever it gets home is ok..

Let me know how much you enjoy!!! Also how easy to check in with only a carry on!!

Jancruz1

Some passengers on the Nautica that sailed on June 27 did not receive their luggage until they arrived in the destination port of Istanbul. Some lost luggage was forwarded to Tunisia, but Customs in Tunis would not allow some bags to be transferred to the ship. Egypt and Israel security was too high to allow bags to arrive there; so, the bags were sent to Istanbul.

My wife's misdirected luggage was sent to the 2nd port in Malta, and she received it before we toured for the day in Valleta.

Other hassles with luggage included:

We missed our flight out from Houston to Dallas. The bags were not offloaded and went to Dallas without us. We were promised they would get to JFK and would be on the flight from JFK to Barcelona if we could check in for our flight at JFK. This removed the possibility of taking any other flight to Barcelona such as the CO flight from Newark to Barcelona. 2 of 3 bags did get on the JFK to BCN flight.

Our flight to BCN from JFK was delayed ~5 hr. When we arrived in BCN the luggage did not get off-loaded onto the belt. Rat the Cat went to check on the bags. She was told that since the flight was late, the luggage handlers were not specifically assigned to handle our luggage. The airport had to find luggage handlers to come handle our bags. 1.5 hours later we received 2 of 3 bags.

I am not sure I would spend $1k or $2k for pre-shipment, but I would consider this for future cruises if I could find a lower priced service.

Not always easy to do, but I will not fly through JFK if there is any other alternative getting to my European destination. My last two RT flights through JFK my luggage was lost for several days for three out of the four flights.

This past trip last month, I flew overnight through Newark and then back through Atlanta. I am sure the flight back was longer, but it was worth the time to avoid the mess that is called JFK. (The time before, we flew through Philadelphia.)

Perhaps it is just the incompetence of Delta's flight operations at JFK, but I am so much happier that I have managed to avoid this airport for the past three years.

Archived