How late can you stay on the ship?

titans01

Our ship gets back to port at 8:00 am in Miami and out flight doesn't leave until 4:00 from Ft. Lauderdale so I'm curious if you can get up, eat, and just take your time getting off? Or am I better off looking for something to do in Miami to fill the time?

They'll boot you off well before 10am.

Remember, there's another group getting on behind you that the crew needs to clean up for.

Once onboard, you can purchase an excursion for debark day that will take you to the airport after.

Have a great cruise!

Our ship gets back to port at 8:00 am in Miami and out flight doesn't leave until 4:00 from Ft. Lauderdale so I'm curious if you can get up, eat, and just take your time getting off? Or am I better off looking for something to do in Miami to fill the time?

We usually stay on the ship until about 10. I just found out about a place near the port called the Mary Brickell Village. You can go there, check out the shops, beautiful views of the bay, and have lunch. There are many good restaurants but I was told Dolores, But You Can Call Me Lolita, is great. Time will pass quickly between 10 and 4.

Get off the ship as fast as you can because I might be one of the 3,000 in line to get on and wondering what is taking them so long! Then we will all blame Carnival and Cruise Critic will get all kinds of blistering notes how bad the Service is. That's all going to be your fault and I know you don't want that.

All kidding aside, they will give you all kind of hints like every thing will be shut down after Breakfast and your Room Stewart will give you "The Look" and maybe a bit more.

LOL! :p

Get off the ship as fast as you can because I might be one of the 3,000 in line to get on and wondering what is taking them so long! Then we will all blame Carnival and Cruise Critic will get all kinds of blistering notes how bad the Service is. That's all going to be your fault and I know you don't want that.

All kidding aside, they will give you all kind of hints like every thing will be shut down after Breakfast and your Room Stewart will give you "The Look" and maybe a bit more.

Your ship will arrive in Miami before dawn, around 5:00 a.m. or so, and should be cleared by customs so that debarking can begin no later than 8:00 a.m. You can stay as long as it takes, but it is really quick. Do not plan on being on any later than about 9:30.

With all do respect to the employees, based on my recent experience on the Destiny, it is best to wait until after 9. We had the full service breakfast in thedining room which started about 6:30 and we were done by 7:30. I investigated the chaos, and decided to wait it out a bit. I ran the flowers down to the pursers desk and left them, and got some cash from the ATM. Then came back and waited until about 8:20. People were still clogging the elevators at this point, and it took a while until I got an elevator. I think we were actually getting off about 8:45.

Next time I will be sure to be out of the cabin by the assigned time (8:30 in our case), and wait it out on the lido deck until 9 or 9:15. All of those people who are in a rush to get off have flights or other issues, and it is better to stay out of their way. An extra 30 minutes sitting in the lido area probaboy doesn't affect any body from Carnival, and it helps the people down stairs who are trying to get the self-embark people off.

I would also advise you to set your larger suitcases out the night before. It is a pain to man handle larger suitcases around when the elevators are blocked off or in use. If you have smaller, lighter bags, then you can just carry them down the stairs and be on your way.

Rushing and battling with other passengers to get off quickly just detracts from the overall enjoyment from the cruise. If you plan flights for after 12 noon, you should not have any worries.

So it sounds like I'm better off taking an excursion in Miami then. So if I booked one of the Miami tour excursions through Carnival do they hold your luggage until your ready to go to the airport?

So it sounds like I'm better off taking an excursion in Miami then. So if I booked one of the Miami tour excursions through Carnival do they hold your luggage until your ready to go to the airport?

Depending on which airline you're using, you may be able to use the Luggage Express program. They charge $15-20 to take your luggage the night before debark and you won't see it again until you arrive at your home airport. There will be details about this in the Capers.

Otherwise, Carnival will take care of your luggage until you reach the airport. You'll more than likely be on a Greyhound size bus where they stow the luggage underneath.

It goes on the bus with you.

They'll boot you off well before 10am.

Remember, there's another group getting on behind you that the crew needs to clean up for.

Once onboard, you can purchase an excursion for debark day that will take you to the airport after.

Have a great cruise!

Hey Mona girl! How are you?

They are pretty good about getting people off the ship. I hope that people get off the ship in a timely manner... we're waiting to get on it!! :D

Hey Mona girl! How are you?

They are pretty good about getting people off the ship. I hope that people get off the ship in a timely manner... we're waiting to get on it!! :D

Hey Debra!!!

How've you been??

Kenny and I are planning Spirit to Hawaii in Sept 2011. You game???

I would suggest a shore tour post cruise. You'll likely get dropped off at the airport around 1pm or so. I did the Everglades tour and I had a great time!!! I loved the gator park! Amazing how such a animal can be so fascinating!!!

They had a Everglades tour, Miami Sequarium, Children's museum, and I think a South Beach/Art Deco tour. The Everglades was the longest with flights after 3pm.

I have a relatively late flight planned as well (3:40 to Canada, I believe). Could we take a post cruise excursion with Carnival too or is it simply cutting it too close for that 2 hour window prior to departure thing??? (should I also mention I am compulsively early for everything too and if we are off by a few minutes I may freak???? ;) )

I really don't want to wait hours on end at the airport particularly with luggage in tow because we are TOO early though :( Man, I hate thinking about the end of my cruise already but sadly, it needs to be done.

Miriam

I have a relatively late flight planned as well (3:40 to Canada, I believe). Could we take a post cruise excursion with Carnival too or is it simply cutting it too close for that 2 hour window prior to departure thing??? (should I also mention I am compulsively early for everything too and if we are off by a few minutes I may freak???? ;) )

I really don't want to wait hours on end at the airport particularly with luggage in tow because we are TOO early though :( Man, I hate thinking about the end of my cruise already but sadly, it needs to be done.

Miriam

Miriam, I am a regular traveler and you don't need to freak about being a few minutes late. I plan 1.5 hrs from arriving to the parking lot. If you have someone taking you right to the ticket counter you will have PLENTY of time. I've been through the major airports in Florida often and that's enough time to get through security. Just remember the rules of the 3-1-1 on your liquids and get all the metal off your bodies before going through security and you'll be fine.

We had a late flight after our cruise and we went to the Everglades. We rented a car for the day and it was worth every penny. We didn't want to sit at the airport either.

Even if you go to South Beach and hang out for the day or go shopping or choose to go to the Everglades or whatever, get off the ship early to start your day on-land and you can have a nice nice day.

Hope that helps,

Miriam, I am a regular traveler and you don't need to freak about being a few minutes late. I plan 1.5 hrs from arriving to the parking lot. If you have someone taking you right to the ticket counter you will have PLENTY of time. I've been through the major airports in Florida often and that's enough time to get through security. Just remember the rules of the 3-1-1 on your liquids and get all the metal off your bodies before going through security and you'll be fine.

We had a late flight after our cruise and we went to the Everglades. We rented a car for the day and it was worth every penny. We didn't want to sit at the airport either.

Even if you go to South Beach and hang out for the day or go shopping or choose to go to the Everglades or whatever, get off the ship early to start your day on-land and you can have a nice nice day.

Hope that helps,

Thanks Debra! Want to come on the Destiny in January with me and calm my nerves a bit on that last day??? :) Actually a car is a definite possibility - been thinking about that too. Would you happen to know if you can rent at POM and return at MIA?? No extra charges?

Again, I do appreciate the advice ... and sorry to the OP if I have semi hijacked. Not intended! Hopefully useful info for others.

Miriam

Thanks Debra! Want to come on the Destiny in January with me and calm my nerves a bit on that last day??? :) Actually a car is a definite possibility - been thinking about that too. Would you happen to know if you can rent at POM and return at MIA?? No extra charges?

Again, I do appreciate the advice ... and sorry to the OP if I have semi hijacked. Not intended! Hopefully useful info for others.

Miriam

LOL--I'd LOVE to come on Destiny! I cruised her in November of last year and we enjoyed her--you will too. This is exactly what we did--rented at the port and returned at the airport without a problem. I don't know about fees, though. Check around. There are posts here on CC that talk about which rental car companies rent nearby the terminal or which buses for rental car companies pick up at the terminal. We took a cab to National (I rent with them nearly every week for business) and then returned it to MIA without a hitch.

ENJOY your cruise--I know you will!

LOL--I'd LOVE to come on Destiny! I cruised her in November of last year and we enjoyed her--you will too. This is exactly what we did--rented at the port and returned at the airport without a problem. I don't know about fees, though. Check around. There are posts here on CC that talk about which rental car companies rent nearby the terminal or which buses for rental car companies pick up at the terminal. We took a cab to National (I rent with them nearly every week for business) and then returned it to MIA without a hitch.

ENJOY your cruise--I know you will!

Thanks again. I will check out some of the other boards on CC about car rentals.

I can't wait to board Destiny! I have absolutely no doubt we will have a great time. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time too.

So, I guess to relate this whole thing back to the OP's question, if I do decide to rent a car, would you get off super early?

Miriam

Thanks again. I will check out some of the other boards on CC about car rentals.

I can't wait to board Destiny! I have absolutely no doubt we will have a great time. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time too.

So, I guess to relate this whole thing back to the OP's question, if I do decide to rent a car, would you get off super early?

Miriam

Well, I guess it depends on what you want to do. Let's say you want to go to the Everglades (we love it there). You want to have enough time to experience it, drive there and drive back and have enough time, so you would want to leave as early as possible.

If you're staying around the South Beach area or going up toward FLL or something you might not need to get off AS early, but earlier than noon or you might as well not bother! :)

Well, I guess it depends on what you want to do. Let's say you want to go to the Everglades (we love it there). You want to have enough time to experience it, drive there and drive back and have enough time, so you would want to leave as early as possible.

If you're staying around the South Beach area or going up toward FLL or something you might not need to get off AS early, but earlier than noon or you might as well not bother! :)

How far to Everglades from POM? South Beach?? Thinking an 8 yr. old would have more fun in the Everglades though.

Miriam

If I remember correctly, it's about 40 minutes south and a bit west of Miami. VERY easy to get to. They have air boat rides, gators, of course, and lots of wildlife and things to see and learn and do. You can go to www.nps.gov or http://www.nps.gov/ever/ you can plan a bit more, too.

EAST of Everglades, almost due south of Miami, is Biscayne National Park, but not sure if that is all in the water or not. LOL...

Archived