Help! Booked across from Launderette on Amsterdam, how bad?

bettydraper

Shortly, we will be sailing on the Amsterdam (first time on this ship, second time to Alaska on HAL), and were sad to learn that our cabin assignment, D2616 puts us across from the Launderette.

Apparently there is little to no wiggle room to change this at this point, so it looks as if we're stuck. There is one C cabin left on the lower promenade, but we were cautioned away from this level by the TA, what with people walking outside the window.

Does anyone have any experience with staying in a cabin in this part of the Main Deck of the Amsterdam? Any feedback is appreciated.

As I understand it, the good news is that we're low and central, which will serve us well if the seas are rocky and I have a wobbly sea stomach so I appreciate that. (DH is a tad claustorphobic, so less appreciative.)

The bad news that I can gather from reading these boards is that people tend to congregate in front of the Laundry, making for a noisy experience inside the cabin. Also that there is noticeable vibration on the Amsterdam on this low of a deck.

We are a bit spoiled since our last time we had a veranda suite on the Oosterdam, but this time we're on a tighter budget...

Thanks for your thoughts.

We've also never seen passengers congregate outside of the laundry rooms (and we've sailed more than 100 days on ships with laundry rooms). I'm sure some have had this experience, but I strongly suspect that is FAR from normal.

I wouldn't expect any abnormal vibration in your cabin (other than being on a moving vessel). We find the ride much smoother there than on the upper decks.

Enjoy!

I think it depends on where your ship starts out from.

I was cattycorner from the laundry room and from the minute I got in my cabin till days and days later, there was always a group outside the laundry room, yakking in the hallway, blocking the way, being annoying (even though there were signs saying not to).

Our ship started in Seward and a lot of the folks had been on cruisetours and I guess never thought to do laundry before getting on the ship (I did my own land tour and did laundry in Anchorage so had no need to do laundry on the ship). Those machines were going nonstop from before the ship left port till the end of the week.

I imagine if you are on a RT or heading north the activity wouldn't be as great.

I used the laundry room on the Zandaam and never noticed any noise in the hall. The door must be extra soundproofed. Just relax don't worry. You are going to have a great time.

We were across from the laundry room on the Carnival Spirit and actually found it to be a boon since we could just pop over from time to time to check on our laundry. I think I do remember people outside the room on occasion, but they didn't bother us.

I think it depends on where your ship starts out from.

I was cattycorner from the laundry room and from the minute I got in my cabin till days and days later, there was always a group outside the laundry room, yakking in the hallway, blocking the way, being annoying (even though there were signs saying not to).

Our ship started in Seward and a lot of the folks had been on cruisetours and I guess never thought to do laundry before getting on the ship (I did my own land tour and did laundry in Anchorage so had no need to do laundry on the ship). Those machines were going nonstop from before the ship left port till the end of the week.

I imagine if you are on a RT or heading north the activity wouldn't be as great.

I've had the same experience as you. My cruise was a Panama Canal cruise. It was noisy from morning until night. I didn't pay for this cabin as it was an upgrade although it didn't seem like it.

On the S-class ships my favorite cabin is next to a laundry, and I make a concerted effort to book that cabin each time. I also book near a laundry on the R-class ships, and use the laundries myself.

I can't remember any excess noise or crowds in the areas on any of my cruises. People will put their laundry in to wash, then sit there and watch it go round and round (:confused: something I truly don't get), but there aren't so many washers/dryers to generate much of a crowd.

If you are that close to the laundry room, or laundette, or whatever it is, think of how clean your clothes could be! You could make a mad dash in seconds to pop in a load. And if there are very sociable people hanging around, think of the new friends you can make.:) Beats hanging out in a bar. Now, that would be a drag.

Shortly, we will be sailing on the Amsterdam (first time on this ship, second time to Alaska on HAL), and were sad to learn that our cabin assignment, D2616 puts us across from the Launderette.

Sorry to hear this. Did you book a guarantee/GTY cabin?

Woody

I can't remember any excess noise or crowds in the areas on any of my cruises. People will put their laundry in to wash, then sit there and watch it go round and round (:confused: something I truly don't get), but there aren't so many washers/dryers to generate much of a crowd.

On my ship people didn't want someone to get the machines before they did so they all waited in the hall to grab the next machine when it was ready. There were people in the laundry room (the folks who were actually using the machines) and people in the hall (the people waiting). These folks never thought once about the people who were in the rooms in the hallway they were congregating in. They were very noisy. I was amazed by how inconsiderate they were, even my steward apologized for the noise (though there was nothing he could do but close the laundry room door and hope the rest of the folks went away).

Folks had tons of laundry because I guess they all figured they'd do it on the ship after their cruisetour.

OK - to help reduce the laundrette congestion after a cruisetour I will try to wash clothes in either Anchorage or Seward prior to boarding. Does anyone know if the hotels/lodges used in these towns have laundries for their guests use or would we need to go off-site? Also, in leiu of a shore excursion, we could haul our laundry off the ship at Haines and locate a laundry -- doesn't that sound like a thrill?

If you're coming off a cruise-tour, you could plan to do your laundry during the slower times---there are some slow times during the day. When people are at dinner and early in the evening the machines are usually easy to get.

If the ship is not boarding people from a land tour the first sea day after several consecutive port days tends to be busy in the laundry.

I leave some sort of noise running in my cabin if I'm trying to nap or read. It usually drowns out most of the noise from the hallway. Not always, but usually. And as I get older (and less tolerant) I'm much less likely to suffer in silence. I'd think nothing of opening the cabin door and saying "do you mind holding it down, I have a RAGING migraine and am trying to sleep".

Last cruise, there was a family down the hall from me who as SOON as they left their cabin, they started talking loudly to be heard over each other. Honestly it was like they were related to bats -- they needed that whole sonar thing to find their way down the hall. And the TV, just audible, managed to cover their noise, unless I was right at my cabin door.

Last cruise, there was a family down the hall from me who as SOON as they left their cabin, they started talking loudly to be heard over each other. Honestly it was like they were related to bats -- they needed that whole sonar thing to find their way down the hall. And the TV, just audible, managed to cover their noise, unless I was right at my cabin door.

munsters010.jpg

Sorry to hear this. Did you book a guarantee/GTY cabin?

Woody

Thank you very much to all who responded. Since we're not going on a cruise tour, it sounds as if we'll be safe from hoards of people doing laundry, and the few noisy folks in the hall are apt to befall anyone.

In answer to your question, Woody, the cruise was actually a gift to us, so we really can't complain!, and I'm not sure of the particulars of the booking.

Particular thanks to suse for reminding me of the inherent possibilities in our positioning!

"On the S-class ships my favorite cabin is next to a laundry, and I make a concerted effort to book that cabin each time. I also book near a laundry on the R-class ships, and use the laundries myself."

RuthC, just out of curiousity, what do you particularly find appealing about these cabins..?

Again, thanks to all, and know that all minor anxieties aside, we're truly looking forward to this.

"Betty"

We were across from a laundry on one cruise and didn't find it a problem. A few times we had a little low noise (talking) for a short period of time. It was not annoying. The location was fine. However, we always book a guarantee and have never had a "bad cabin".

"On the S-class ships my favorite cabin is next to a laundry, and I make a concerted effort to book that cabin each time. I also book near a laundry on the R-class ships, and use the laundries myself."

RuthC, just out of curiousity, what do you particularly find appealing about these cabins..?

Location, location, location. My fav cabin on the R-ships is immediately at mid-ship. I love being right near the elevator bank, and not too far from anything. My fav on the S-ships is also near mid-ship, near the elevator banks, a quick few steps to outdoors, and a short walk home late at night.

The fact that they are near laundries is coincidental---but not at all a deterrent.

• 1 month later...

I am new to this board but you have answered so many of my unasked questions. Thanks. My husband and I are planning a cruise to Alaska for our 40th anniversary. BTW ,I think I remember you from many years ago. Did you go to ST.Paul's School in Cranston?

I am new to this board but you have answered so many of my unasked questions. Thanks. My husband and I are planning a cruise to Alaska for our 40th anniversary. BTW ,I think I remember you from many years ago. Did you go to ST.Paul's School in Cranston?

Thanks for the kind words. You're going to love, Love, LOVE! Alaska. I've been four times over the years, and am seriously toying with the idea of the 14-day Amsterdam cruise next year.

Yes, I was in St. Paul's through grade 9. Several lifetimes ago.

Only fair now that you give me a hint who you are!.

Archived