Stressed out!!

GAMOM4

We are leaving tomorrow for vacation - we have cruised many times before and I know all the things to pack and not to pack - and we are trying to take less because we always need to take less. Why I'm waiting until the afternoon BEFORE we leave to get packed I don't know. We don't board the ship until Thursday and this is the first time we have ever driven down a day early - so you would think I would be under less stress. Do any of you ever get like this? I think I need a DOD now!!!!!! My daughter's gone on a date - my son is playing basketball with his friends - and my husband is "trying to stay out of my way" (as he puts it)...I don't even know why I'm on the computer when I have so much to do! I'm going to take deep breaths and try and relax so I can go on vacation and relax!!!! Just thought I would vent a little to my cruising friends!:confused:

I always get stressed out - esp as I am packing - honestly I am now wavering about planning another cruise - the thought of all the preparation, planning, flights, luggage, etc makes my head spin. And yes I love to organize things and usually plan all the excursions, pre-cruise stays, etc. but frankly it seems to be losing its shine!

Is it possible to be 'cruised out'?

We are leaving tomorrow for vacation - we have cruised many times before and I know all the things to pack and not to pack - and we are trying to take less because we always need to take less. Why I'm waiting until the afternoon BEFORE we leave to get packed I don't know. We don't board the ship until Thursday and this is the first time we have ever driven down a day early - so you would think I would be under less stress. Do any of you ever get like this? I think I need a DOD now!!!!!! My daughter's gone on a date - my son is playing basketball with his friends - and my husband is "trying to stay out of my way" (as he puts it)...I don't even know why I'm on the computer when I have so much to do! I'm going to take deep breaths and try and relax so I can go on vacation and relax!!!! Just thought I would vent a little to my cruising friends!:confused:

yep, lol, every time

You sound just like me... I hate packing, period!!!

We recently came back from a 10-week trip that began with an 11 day transatlantic cruise..... packing was a nightmare....

DH takes 30 minutes to pack.... I take a whole day.... and I'm bad-tempered all day!!

Have a great cruise!

I always get stressed out - esp as I am packing - honestly I am now wavering about planning another cruise - the thought of all the preparation, planning, flights, luggage, etc makes my head spin. And yes I love to organize things and usually plan all the excursions, pre-cruise stays, etc. but frankly it seems to be losing its shine!

Is it possible to be 'cruised out'?

Nope

Why are you stressed. Husband can pack his own, daughter, son etc - they are old enough to go on dates and play bball then they are old enough to look after themselves. Worry about yourself and if you forget something, buy it. A holiday should be exactly that - leave at home the computer, cell phone, blackberry or whatever else there is and just have DOD and kick back. Talk to us as much as you want and forget the small stuff. Cindy - have a great cruise.

Talk about stressed! My back went out a few days before vacation. Dh had to pack for 6 and take care of me AND the kids the whole cruise!! I could barely even move! A vacation I will NEVER forget...and it was our first carnival cruise too! And believe it or not...nothing was forgotten. :D

How on earth do you ever pack for a 10 week trip? I have never been gone longer than a week and we fill up suitcase after suitcase! My husband just came in and said "well if it is less trouble I'll just take my suit" (that way he doesn't have to wonder what matches what!) My daughter goes and does all the time so she has packing down to an art - she said the only thing left to pack for her is her blow dryer and straigtener - since she is college age she keeps extra everything in bags ready to grab and go - must be nice to be 20 again!!! My son just came in and said "everything I need is in the bag" - he is more worried that someone has borrowed his ipod and he hasn't gotten it back yet and he will have to sit in the back seat of the car with his sister for 5 hours (wants to know can't he just stay in the room with his daddy and I can stay in the room with his sister - when they were younger they thought it was fun to stay in their own cabin) I am trying to imagine what the beach in Clearwater is going to look like tomorrow since I have never been down there...that is calming me a little!

I get super stressed too...I think it is because I need everything really organized. Try to relax....enjoy yourself. And don't worry if you forget something you can always buy it or make do with something else.;)

I can completely sympathize with you! I am the one who does ALL the planning, ALL the pre-cruise shopping, ALL the housework before we leave, ALL the packing, in our house! The only person who ever did his own packing was our son but he is now in Iraq, so it's just me and DH doing the cruising these days! I never had to worry about my son's packing, he did it all by himself! He was capable...can't say the same for DH. :( I think stress of one kind or another is normal a few days before a cruise, or any vacation, but I know that once you are on that big beautiful ship, you'll forget all the stress you felt If you just can't get past the stress, find yourself a nice deck chair and order yourself a foo-foo drink (or two), and I guarantee within 15 minutes you'll be asking yourself, "What stress?"!!!

Have a great cruise!!

Not sure I will be much help, I am spastic from the time I book the trip until I am onboard. This time was worse I booked 2 months out instead of 1 or 2 weeks. I am just like a kid waiting for Christmas. I micromanage everything, but my hubbie does his own packing (did not know he folds his suit pants and put them in a drawer so no suit pants on our honeymoon cruise) and he waits until the last minute. If I did not keep on him, he would pack 5 minutes b4 we get in the car. But now days it takes me awhile, I pack for myself and our 2 year old son. I tend to way overpack because I never know what I will need, and then I don't need anything, but scared not to pack it in case we need it. LOL I am NUTS:eek::eek::confused::confused:

It's not the packing that gives me anxiety, I usually start the morning that we leave.

I always get really antsy and anxious before a cruise (maybe because I read these boards) with random thoughts about:

-What if somethings wrong with my reservation and I can't board?

-What if I lose my passport?

-What if I have the wrong week?

-What if I break my leg on the way there?

I have come to loathe the pre trip days.

Have a nice day! :)

Sounds like my husband! I am a little bit of a control freak and it make sme crazy that he just waits until the day before (and that's with me nagging him).. He would probably pack the morning we left if I let him! AHHH!! I get stressed out too about packing because I want to be prepared for anything, but in the end, it is so worth it! :p

Not sure I will be much help, I am spastic from the time I book the trip until I am onboard. This time was worse I booked 2 months out instead of 1 or 2 weeks. I am just like a kid waiting for Christmas. I micromanage everything, but my hubbie does his own packing (did not know he folds his suit pants and put them in a drawer so no suit pants on our honeymoon cruise) and he waits until the last minute. If I did not keep on him, he would pack 5 minutes b4 we get in the car. But now days it takes me awhile, I pack for myself and our 2 year old son. I tend to way overpack because I never know what I will need, and then I don't need anything, but scared not to pack it in case we need it. LOL I am NUTS:eek::eek::confused::confused:

Personally I prefer packing for a cruise to unpacking from it. . .

I'm so like you! LOL It usually takes me a week or so to unpack, even from a short business trip. :) The suitcase sits on the floor and I grab things out of it as I need them. I'm just too lazy sometimes... LMAO

I pack the afternoon before we leave and go to bed early. Barb waits until about midnight to start packing. Even including laundry if some must be done to take something she has decided she must take. I used to get stressed about her being up all night, now I just go to sleep. Her method works for her and she has never ever forgotten a thing!

Doan worry, be happy!

Personally I prefer packing for a cruise to unpacking from it. . .

My last cruise was Oct 08. I just found a suitcase with some clean clothes still packed in their ziplock bags. I really do hate unpacking. Especially Summer clothes in the fall.

Oh have a WONDERFUL time. Don't forget to come back and share your adventure.

I get a bit stressed, but I'm big into lists. If I write it down it clears up the clutter in my brain. Also, I start packing 2-4 weeks in advance. I actually write down everything I plan to wear during the cruise, the cosmetics, appliances and jewelry to take. I also make a list of MUST HAVES and check it over and over before I go. I never forget anything.

It's also easy to pack in advance because my vacation clothes are ones I don't normally wear any other time. Quick simple pieces! It's actually time to put my vacation clothes into normal summer rotation and get new ones as I'm tired of my pictures looking the same, LOL.

Packing is part of the fun part!!! Pack - then remove...I also do all the packing for our whole family -- but this year I plan on having them pack their own stuff, then all I have to do is double check it. Enough of me being the blame for them not having the clothes they want.

My favorite part is unpacking ON the ship and putting the suitcases away for a few days. I like moving in!:p

Stress Not. My sister and her husband live in Papua New Guinea. They went there with three children about 6 years, 4 years and 2 months. They had to pack virtually everything they would need for them all for three years, plus they had to pack up their house which they were leasing while they were gone. Oh yes, they also had to head to the airport on Christmas day. That is what I call stress. Getting ready for a cruise that is just fun to me. I start early with plenty of lists, so I am sure I will not forget anythin. Relax, have fun.

Archived