Dressing for Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore -Azamara- late Dec Early Jan

Coastaljen

I just want to make sure that what I have read in books is correct. Women do not wear shorts in those places for sightseeing. ??????? I know you can't go in a temple, but I believe I read that just in every day walking around towns, etc. women should wear more clothing.

Normally I live in shorts here, so I ask because I am going to invest in a number of capris or cropped pants for the trip. It is l8 nights on the ship and three more in a hotel. I want to buy clothes now if I need them.

Also, on the Azamara Quest is it ok to wear shorts on sea days? I can go ask that on the Azamara board, but I hate being redundant. Perhaps someone who reads this was on Azamara and will know the answer. Also, I thought maybe I shouldn't dress in shorts even on the ship.

Obviously my shorts are super short, but they are nowhere near knee length.

I just want to make sure that what I have read in books is correct. Women do not wear shorts in those places for sightseeing. ??????? I know you can't go in a temple, but I believe I read that just in every day walking around towns, etc. women should wear more clothing.

Normally I live in shorts here, so I ask because I am going to invest in a number of capris or cropped pants for the trip. It is l8 nights on the ship and three more in a hotel. I want to buy clothes now if I need them.

Also, on the Azamara Quest is it ok to wear shorts on sea days? I can go ask that on the Azamara board, but I hate being redundant. Perhaps someone who reads this was on Azamara and will know the answer. Also, I thought maybe I shouldn't dress in shorts even on the ship.

Are you asking for what is proper or what the temperature will be, check this site and go back in the history for your dates in each city.

http://www.wunderground.com/global/Region/A2/Temperature.html

Not sure about other ports but remember that Singapore is a large city - ie it is not a resort. We have been there 5 or 6 times and I always wear linen or cotton long pants or capris with good sandals and a nice top and my DH wears long trousers with a plain T shirt. We are guided by what we would wear in any city. The only place which is different is Sentosa Island which is more resort like. It will be very humid so if possible I would ditch stockings (though locals do wear them). It will probably rain as well - a sharp shower or thunderstorm in the afternoon. We love Singapore as it is a very easy city to get around. The metro is excellent, taxis are very cheap and the food is amazing. The hawker food markets are great - esp Lau Pau Sat one of the original ones - but they only come alive at night. Hawker food is safe in Singapore as there are stringent health checks.

Thanks! I asked my tour guide in Vietnam too, and she also said to stick with capris and not shorts. ;)

I probably have to do some shopping. I just bought two pairs, but they won't last 21 days..................................... I will also think about my lightest pairs of pants for Singapore.

We have extremely high humidity where I live, so I am ok with it. It can easily be over 100 some days with humidity. However, I know it will be cooler in some spots on the trip.

Thanks... back to brainstorming..........

Here's Azamara's Dress Code from the FAQ section of their website:

"Appropriate attire onboard Azamara Cruises is always resort casual; there aren't any scheduled formal nights. However, guests should always feel comfortable in wearing formal attire if they so desire. No bare feet, tank tops, ball caps, bathing suits, shorts, or jeans are allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants."

So no problem with shorts except in dining rooms but they are O.K. in buffet restaurant although I only noticed them during breakfast and lunch there.

•Sportswear, casual dresses, skirts, pants.•Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine.

Coastaljen

The other thing to remember is that buildings are airconditioned - it can be quite cool even. We walked a lot last time we were there (March) and it was warm but many of the malls link to each other through underground walkways if you are just getting from point A to B. We really enjoyed the Peranakan culture - there is a museum dedicated to it but the Asian Civilisations Museum was excellent and there a some eateries around as well. Are you going to do your own thing or Azamara tours?

Jenny

Thanks! I asked my tour guide in Vietnam too, and she also said to stick with capris and not shorts. ;)

I probably have to do some shopping. I just bought two pairs, but they won't last 21 days..................................... I will also think about my lightest pairs of pants for Singapore.

We have extremely high humidity where I live, so I am ok with it. It can easily be over 100 some days with humidity. However, I know it will be cooler in some spots on the trip.

Thanks... back to brainstorming..........

Capris are the way to go because they are suitable in the cities as well as other areas. Suggest you have at least three pairs to co-ordinate with your tops.eg denim, beige, black or brown. White requires too much washing though could be used for ship if you prefer. Remember that often you are required to cover your shoulders ( ie. short sleeved shirts or tops) and have closed in shoes when you go to some temples. You may also be asked to remove your shoes so closed in ,comfortable shoes with velcro attachments are ideal. Your ship should have a pay laundry for a journey of that long. Have fun.:)

I wore jean shorts that are a few inches above the knee when I was in Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City) and I was fine, didn't feel out of place at all. We didn't go in any temples there, though.

In Bangkok we only had to wear long pants when we went into the Grand Palace. But if you are not wearing the appropriate attire, you can rent sarongs at the entrance. Right after we left there, we all changed back into shorts on the bus!

In Singapore I wore capris, only because my shorts needed to be washed; otherwise I don't think shorts would have been a problem.

The main thing to consider is if you are visiting religious monuments. If you are it is best to wear pants.

My query about whether you are on Azamara tours or not is not as silly as it may sound - if you are on ship's excursions you will be with others in a group probably dressed similarly to you. On the other hand if you are out and about on your own, if you do not want to stand out too much, dress as for any city, but in light fabric.

My query about whether you are on Azamara tours or not is not as silly as it may sound - if you are on ship's excursions you will be with others in a group probably dressed similarly to you. On the other hand if you are out and about on your own, if you do not want to stand out too much, dress as for any city, but in light fabric.

I agree. I spend quite a bit of time in Vietnam for business and own a hotel in Cambodia. About the only people I see dressed in shorts (even nice, golf type shorts) are backpackers or 20 somethings. And I have had my hotel staff ask why Americans "dress so poorly", "dress so disrespectfully" (particularly in reference to a lady in very short shorts and a halter top she was falling out of) and one I loved "don't they realize they need long pants to keep the bugs away". You RARELY see Asians (except at the beach) wearing shorts.

The most practical attire for the area is either long guazey pants (100% cotton) or the long cotton wrap skirts available all over Asia but particularly in Thailand (they sell them on Ebay for about $20.00). There are still SQUAT toilets in a lot of tourist areas. It is a MAJOR hassle to try to use one of those with pants on. The skirt makes it much easier to use "Eastern" style toilets. And DON'T forget the wet wipes. Toilet paper in a lot of Asia tourist areas is either non existent or the "attendant" (who expects a few coins for a tip) gives you two sheets. And then there is no place to wash your hands. I go through a lot of boxes of wet wipes when I am traveling in Asia/Middle East/South America and am NEVER without them.

Archived