My review of the Wyndham/Sheraton hotel in Old San Juan.

Alexis

Thank you. I do not know if there is more than 1 Marriot Hotel in San Juan. Could you tell me if the one you mention is the Marriot in Condado that is maybe 20 stories tall and is built like a perfect square? (that is the only way I can describe it:o ) The Marriot sign is at the top of it.

Yes Alexis that is the one. It's located

1309 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico

Here AppLogic+booker.util.ImageBlob?brand=MC&pid=SJUPR&image_link=SJUPR_B1.GIFis a picture of it

That building behind the pool is also part of the hotel, we stayed in the taller building though, we faced the pool on the corner so we could see the ocean too. If you get a room on that side like we had high enough we could also see the port were the ships were docked in Old San Juan.

The Caribe Hilton might also be a nice Hotel for anyone that wanted a hotel closer to Old San Juan, that is very close to where the ships dock also.

Jimbo:)

The Caribe Hilton might also be a nice Hotel for anyone that wanted a hotel closer to Old San Juan

Caribe would be my choice,but at close to $400 a night,i dont think so(considering we dont even fly into SJU till 4pm).........I just cant justify that...if we were staying for a few days and get to enjoy all the facilities,maybe...just maybe!!

When we went in May some other cruise Critic Friends of ours got the Caribe Hilton on Priceline, you might want to check into that. Not sure what they bid but at that time just about everyone that was using Priceline for San Juan was getting that hotel.

Jimbo:)

Thanks for the great picture. I am going to save that one. :)

Yes, that is the one we stayed at years ago when it was the Dupont Plaza. We had an ocean view and loved it. It really has wonderful views because of the way it is built.

I was thrilled to see it was re opened when we were just in San Juan. We took a cab up there walked around the property to see what it was like. We were quite impressed with what we saw. This time we were suprised to see so many of the older hotels in such bad shape. In their day they were first class. But, we also saw many new resorts being built in Condado, plus there are so many new shops and restaurants in that area that it makes for a good location.

Thanks again for posting this.;)

I emailed Starwood today and expressed my concerns about an upcoming reservation I have with them for this hotel.................I included this thread(hope thats ok)...............here is part of what they wrote back..

I'll keep you posted..

In essence, I've done the same thing. On the Sheraton (Starwood) website, pointed out to them the negative replies from people staying at this property pre-cruse....... Despite my West Point "upbringing", I too, believe the pen to be mightier than the sword!!

Ok,equal time here............this is the reply I got from someone directly from the hotel..

Dear Ms.K******,

Thank you for forwarding the comments placed on Cruise Critics. Com, and for contacting Corporate Guest Services. Your file was forwarded to me for proper handling.

Ms. K******, in the years that I have in this industry, I have come to learn that when people do not get what they want (not paying for it) they tend to write negative comments like the one you have come across. Since the change over to a Sheraton, I have received more positive comments than negatives. There are still some areas for improvements, but as for service wise, we provide our guest the utmost professional service.

If you have any questions and or concerns, please do not hesitate in contacting me directly. We are here to serve our guest and we look forward in providing “just that you”. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel. I wish you and yours a safe and happy holiday season!

I haven't commented on this before, but that email you received calls for a comment. It really is only a defensive answer and if I was to receive that, I would not put any stock in it at all, to be honest.

We stayed in San Juan last January at a small hotel (the name of which escapes me). It had been recommended to us. It was fine for a short overnight stay, but I would recommend it to anyone. While we were there, we checked out some of the bigger hotels.

Now, bear in mind we are Canadians and at that time the dollar was at 62%. We found the big hotels extremely expensive which is why we opted for the small one. The room wasn't much bigger than my bathroom although it was clean.

HOwever, Alexis, I believe your decription and after reading the e-mail that parrothead8 received, it makes me believe you for sure.

I do not life defensive e-mails from businesses.

Marilyn

We stayed at a Wydham in Miami after Hurricane Jean. The day after actually. We thought it was the nicest hotel we had ever stsayed at . Clean, courtous, always willing to please. We have a Wydham Card and forgot to take it. No problem they were able to find it on Pc and go from there. Maybe it's the location but I would certainly try another Wydham in other states when I'm traveling. Just my personal opion.

just linda

Hi Parrothead8,

The quote in your email from the Sheraton.

I have come to learn that when people do not get what they want (not paying for it) they tend to write negative comments like the one you have come across.

**************************************************************************************

I guess they did not read this thread too well or they would have seen that I did pay for what I did not get.

I expected nothing more from the Sheraton than what you got as a response.

"Alexis"

Hi Lynnees,

Thank you. Every word that I wrote was the truth. I have recommended that hotel so many times in the past 2 years on this website that I would be a fool to try and write anything but the truth.

Hi spatz,

The hotel in question is a Sheraton now, not a Wyndham. I am a preferred member of both of those chains.

No matter what anyone reads into my post, I will never stay in that hotel again. I will never give it a recommendation on any cruise website again. And, anyone who stays there in the future, I hope you get a much better experience than we did.

"Alexis"

I have come to learn that when people do not get what they want (not paying for it)

Yea,I didnt quite get that either..............

Wonder if they will continue to read this(but doubt it) and realize it is them with the problem,not the paying customers!!

Please post a review of your stay after you return.

Warning, Their restaurant, moved to just off the lobby now, is quite expensive. Try the restaurant right outside and across from their front door in the "mall" building. It is really quite good and not expensive at all. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

"Alexis"

We had a funny experience with them too. In 2001 we .....

Odd. We too had an experience with them, where they attempted to charge us a higher rate than I had reserved for. I'm glad I brought my confirmation, with the rate on it. They adjusted us, but then tried the same thing with two other parties in my group.

Thank you for posting your message. The more people on here that come forward about their experiences with the Sheraton/Wyndham in Old San Juan, the less people might book there.

It seems they have a habit of trying to cheat people into paying more. But at the same time, trying to give the people less in the way of accommodations.

Check this out..........pretty typical...

I just went online to cancel our reservation.............said it didnt recognize the confirmation number....so I called...................

Again,the rep said no reservation number like that.................so he looked it up by name.................it was there with a totally different number..............

Seems they need some help in that department too.....

Anyway,we cancelled(I was sure to get that cancellation number and the name of the rep..........just in case!!:rolleyes: )

Poor customer service ---and a snooty reply ! I am in customer service and that sort of thing gets on my last nerve. I went to the hotel website and sent them an e-mail saying I had seen the letter on Cruise Critic and was shocked by their poor service. Maybe others will want to do this too.

Archived