Jewel-don't forget your toilet paper!

msjeanne1

We were on the Jewel (12/12-12/18/04). The ship was a let down. The toilet tissue was really horrible, scratchy and irritating. By them time we got home we needed medication to treat a definite problem. We tried the facial tissue in hopes of some relief, but it was the same horrible paper. Please take a roll or two with you to avoid the discomfort.

The food has not improved as we had hoped. Meat Loaf, Hot Dogs, Chicken, Chicken, Chicken are not my idea of gourmet food which you associate with fine dining. These are foods that are cooked at home in order to afford the cost of cruising. When I think of the menu's offered 10-15yrs.ago I my mouth waters. Today's menu's are horrible. This was voiced by many fellow cruisers as well.

The RCCL television programming was pure sell, sell, sell. You were hustled via the air waves, day and night. Money, is the true aim of cruising not customer satisfaction anymore.

Our waiter and assistant waiter told us they work an average of 70-82hrs. per week. I thought they closed the sweat shops down years ago!! Shame on RCCL for exploiting these foreign workers. They drain every ounce of energy out of these young people daily for pennies.

I really have to disagree with this poster. No hot dogs are not gourmet food, but lobster, steak, salmon, duck, and many other dishes are. You are being very misleading on the menu. In fact, I never saw hot dogs on the menu in the main dining room - not for dinner anyway.

As far as people working 80 hours a week, my sister worked retail for almost 10 years in the US and worked hours like that. And why exactly were you inquiring how many hours they work? Weird table conversation.

As far as selling, yes, some channels had a lot of selling. We also saw various movies, sports, and entertainment television.

When you got off the boat in Cozumel - were they trying to sell you something? How about Nassau - did anyone try to sell you something there? Of course people are selling. It wasn't nearly as bad as what I experienced a couple years ago on Carnival - they would ask you to buy a drink 10 times during dinner.

We never saw Charmin or other "good" tissue on any ship. And for that matter, yes we did pack toilet tissue - little travel rolls for going to the bathroom in some ports. Never had to use them.

I am not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion. I just think you should be a little more honest. You seem to be insuinuating the only food available was hot dogs and meatloaf - you know that is not true, not sure why you would say such a thing. The toliet paper was the same you would find in most hotels - not sure you would say it was worse than what someone would expect.

Have an opinion, just be honest overall.

We were on the Jewel (12/12-12/18/04). The ship was a let down. The toilet tissue was really horrible, scratchy and irritating. By them time we got home we needed medication to treat a definite problem. We tried the facial tissue in hopes of some relief, but it was the same horrible paper. Please take a roll or two with you to avoid the discomfort.

The food has not improved as we had hoped. Meat Loaf, Hot Dogs, Chicken, Chicken, Chicken are not my idea of gourmet food which you associate with fine dining. These are foods that are cooked at home in order to afford the cost of cruising. When I think of the menu's offered 10-15yrs.ago I my mouth waters. Today's menu's are horrible. This was voiced by many fellow cruisers as well.

The RCCL television programming was pure sell, sell, sell. You were hustled via the air waves, day and night. Money, is the true aim of cruising not customer satisfaction anymore.

Our waiter and assistant waiter told us they work an average of 70-82hrs. per week. I thought they closed the sweat shops down years ago!! Shame on RCCL for exploiting these foreign workers. They drain every ounce of energy out of these young people daily for pennies.

Wow THERE is some imagery and details I hadn't bargained for - LOL

I have to agree with stbmom! The food was wonderful! I don't know where the original poster ate, but in the dining room we had wonderful soups and entrees! the lobster was the best I have had on a cruise ship. The toilet paper was not a problem at all! Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I just never realized how much people would exagerate!

Doesn't the toilet paper have to 'biodegrade' or break down quicker than traditional paper (i.e. Charmin)?? Think about it...you're a floating city...you don't have a city-sized water treatment plant towing around behind you.

By the way...a little too much information on the 'medication'.

I was on this cruise too and I have to echo what stbmom and loupylou said. Your post about the menu is very misleading and the toilet paper? Now I've heard everything! We had an amazing time but I will say (and I'm going to get in some trouble here) that I heard more ridiculously crabby passengers on this cruise than on any other. Our group of eight left the dining room the first evening saying what a wonderful meal we had only to be told by the people walking in front of us that it was "absolute slop." :eek: I'm pretty sure I would recognize slop if it was served to me and this was definitely not slop. We all agreed that if you couldn't be pleased on the Jewel then you should not be sailing RCCL period. It's time to move on. By the way, I ate all but 3 meals in the dining room (1 breakfast and 2 lunches in the Windjammer) and I never saw a hotdog once.

PTarbay that was very funny!!

I was on the Jewel. Had no problem with the food or the toilet paper. You've got to be kidding. I'm sure it is the same toilet paper that is on every Royal Caribbean ship, not just Jewel...Anyway you are entitled to your opinion but I had a great time...

There will be a whole lot more problems onboard than meatloaf, hotdogs and chicken. Can you imagine the plumbing problems and overflowing toilets? If you don't like the above food, stay away from the buffet and eat in the dining room. If you don't like the sales pitch on the TV, turn it off. If you think the crew is making too little, tip them more.

I'm a fairly sensitive person, never have had a TP issue on a ship.

Hasn't anyone heard??? They are putting out this new toilet paper to cut costs! It has big wood chunks and splinters in it. :eek: I guess they were trying it out on the Jewel. As far as the food, I suppose they ran out and had to pull out the hot dogs. Remember the post? Someone's already mentioned the ship running out of food. Hee,hee:rolleyes:

Seriously, hearing a complaint about tp on a cruise is a first for me. And I agree with Paula regarding the tp breaking down more quickly. If there were Charmin-like tp aboard, can you imagine the clogs the sewage treatment machines would have? as well as clogged pipes?? That's the thickest tp I've ever seen! You could dry off from a shower with it! Yuk!

you have got to be kidding... what kind to treatment our we talking about,, and how is facial tissue the same as tiolet tissue????? :confused:

give us a break,,, if this is a joke it's not even remotely funny...

MsJeanne1:

If the t-paper is a problem maybe you are doing it wrong. Duh. Up and down not side to side.

ROFLMAO......please, I'm recovering from surgery and can't laugh that hard!!!!!

TP issue???? you must of eaten tons and tons of food to spend that much time in the .....uh....to have that severe of a problem! :eek:

Archived