HAL vs Travel Agency

alohadad

For a first time cruise, we did a local TA, but will probably either use HAL directly next time or an online TA.

Don't know if there's any advantage in using HAL.

We booked our cruise with a travel agent - the cruise fare was $500 less per person than booking with HAL, plus they offered an OBC. I do like the control of being my own agent and dealing with the cruise line directly, but am willing to give it up to get the discounts.

Is it better to book with HAL or a travel agent. Any advantages with HAL ( upgrades or pinnacle )

Online TA.. I don't care if I am taking a chance. The amount saved it amazing!

I booked all three ways and found that my agent works hard for me and warns me of things that point and click can not. discounts are better and she makes sure my cabin is where I want and if I encounter a problem she handles it. with the cruise line you are just a number and point and click, well tell them about your problems see what the computer says. my agent says there is a misconception that they are more$ but the cruise lines pay their commissions not us. my agent has been doing this since 1982, how long has your mouse been doing it or the rep on the phone at the cruise line?

I've booked with HAL directly on 3 occasions and always had wonderful service. I checked online agents and researched pricing and was always able to get at least the same deal direct. Maybe because I'm a Mariner? I don't know but it has worked for us.

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy and Happy Sails!!!

We have always booked our cruises with one of the largest travel agencies. In the spring we received an offer from HAL by mail, including airfare, on the Prinsendam. It was so low that we could not believe it. We contacted HAL and put a "hold" on the cruise. I then contacted the TA by e-mail and asked them about it. They responded quickly but had no idea where this fare came from. We e-mailed back and forth a few times but they were at a loss. After booking the cruise with HAL, they wanted us to transfer it to them! They stated that they could throw in a few freebies on board. We left it with HAL as we could not be bothered.

We leave in less than one month----even the flight arrangements are excellent. We have been very surprised.

I usually use a TA, either online or one reachable by phone. The internet agency has great rates, but they're in US dollars. The telephone TA can do either Canadian or US pricing, whichever works out best. The online agency used to beat HAL's prices by at least a few hundred dollars, but lately some of HAL's pricing has been better. Whatever HAL's prices are, the telephone TA will take off at least something from the price, so that's why I haven't booked so far with HAL directly. It does get frustrating sometimes though, when I can't reach the TA, and HAL won't talk to me, since I've booked with the TA. I have heard from others who've booked directly with HAL, that they don't get any freebies such as a Pinnacle Grill dinner voucher, etc. I don't know whether any upgrades have been gotten or not, though.

I always book directly with HAL. They are fantastic. My HAL agent will re-book us to get a lower rate if the rates change from our initial booking. We love aft cabins, so they have always been able to book us our favorites. Have also received nice on-board credits as well. The agents have also been able to connect me with the right people at HAL if I need to arrange a meet and greet or have an inquiry regarding a tour.

We had very good luck with a well-known Internet TA / broker but for our Alaska cruise, they have dropped the ball with our documents. We went ahead and did online checkin with HAL. My wife says it is the principle, and I agree with her, that even though you can do online checkin, it is nice to get the document packet in the mail. We can still get the document packet, but it will cost us another 25USD for the privilige. We monitored HAL's pricing over the months, and they looked comparable considering the discounted cabin fares. We may consider going straight to HAL the next time we book a cruise.

I booked all three ways and found that my agent works hard for me and warns me of things that point and click can not. discounts are better and she makes sure my cabin is where I want and if I encounter a problem she handles it. with the cruise line you are just a number and point and click, well tell them about your problems see what the computer says. my agent says there is a misconception that they are more$ but the cruise lines pay their commissions not us. my agent has been doing this since 1982, how long has your mouse been doing it or the rep on the phone at the cruise line?
No cruise line with any sense would EVER undercut their travel agent community. Why? For the simple reason that unless the cruise line is willing to handle all of their own sales, they NEED the travel agent community to keep their ships full week in and week out. So, yes, many of them will sell direct (actually there are some that won't), but if anything it will cost you more to book through the cruise line ... not less.

The cruise lines actually want to encourage you to contact a "travel professional" and will often even have a place on their website where you can punch in your zip code and you'll be referred to a travel agent who has completed the cruise line's specific training course in your area of the country.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have used a TA and have booked directly with cruise lines. I never had any problems with either. :)

Just like I learned after my very first cruise ... you really get to appreciate the value of a good travel agent only when something goes wrong. As long as everything is running smooth as silk, it probably doesn't matter how you book ... online, large discount agency, small brick and mortar agency, or through the cruise line direct. But when something doesn't go as planned ... i.e., you miss your flight, the boat leaves without you, etc. ... and you are frazzled and don't know what to do, that's when you will really appreciate having a travel agent who has been through this sort of thing before and can walk you calmly through it.

That's why I always insist that my TA be someone I can reach by phone ... and if she's not in the office, then there had sure better well be someone there or at least available via an emergency number until 10:00 or 11:00 p.m. at night.

Blue skies ...

--rita

No cruise line with any sense would EVER undercut their travel agent community. Why? For the simple reason that unless the cruise line is willing to handle all of their own sales, they NEED the travel agent community to keep their ships full week in and week out. So, yes, many of them will sell direct (actually there are some that won't), but if anything it will cost you more to book through the cruise line ... not less.

The cruise lines actually want to encourage you to contact a "travel professional" and will often even have a place on their website where you can punch in your zip code and you'll be referred to a travel agent who has completed the cruise line's specific training course in your area of the country.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have not found that to be the case. The first time we tried an online agent, it was about half what our local agent could do. She couldn't touch their price, she said, nor did she even try. We decided then, that we'd do our own and have never had any problems. Of course, our online agency went kaput last year but so have most of the local agents. Our next cruise, we'll go directly thru HAL. Their prices now are about the same as we find online with others and in some cases, less. As I remember, HAL used to want you to book thru an agent but they've got their own agents now, so I would think (and I don't know for sure) that you can probably negotiate.

You are very lucky if you have a good local agent. I'd hang on to one to, if I'd ever found one.

Archived