Verona

jstducky

For anyone who has ever been to Verona before, if I arrive by train, how far is it from the train station to Piazza Bra and the colosseum they have there? How far from there to Juliet's balcony? What about Piazza Erbe? Or a walk down to the river?

Is it best to walk from the train station? Take a taxi (how much would it cost?)? Take a bus (which number? how much?)

I only have a few hours in Verona, is there anything else that is not to be missed?

Thanks!

Jstducky,

I was in Verona briefly many years ago for grad school. As I recall it is small enough to walk to the sites you mentioned within a couple hours time. The river is beautiful and should not be missed. Juliet's balcony was anticlimatic for me but to each his/her own. Colosseum is a fine example in good condition. My best advice - make sure you experience Verona by taking your time. It is a slower paced city so take some time to stop and observe the culture along with the sights.

Verona is a lovely town. there are operas in the Arena most evenings in July and August .. which means the trains are packed.

Juliet's balcony is complete nonsense. It has as much to do with reality as Fairy Dust.

It is a little over one kilometer from the train station (Porta Nuova) to the Arena. Piazza Bra is just before the Arena while Piazza delle Erbe is a further 0.5 km. The river makes a "S" curve north of the old city .. an easy walk.

I can't conceive of seeing any town in a few hours (not being judgmental, it is just not the way I travel), so I have no idea what to suggest.. sorry. If you want to take a bus rather than walking, cross the street in front of the train station and grab bus 11,12 or 13. Third stop is Piazza Bra if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the time. I fly into Milan in the morning, then after lunch I'm getting on a train and going to Verona. I am going to take the last train from Verona back to Milan. So that gives me about 5-6 hours in the city. I'm just trying to maximize my time. The next day, I have to take the train to Venice and get on board the ship.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me know which bus to take.

When you say the trains are packed, does that mean I should be the return ticket back to Milan when I purchase my ticket to Verona to ensure a spot on the train?

Just in case you didn't know:

The train from Milan to Venice stops at Verona. You might want to spend the night there rather than going back to Milan.

The evening train will not be crowded as it will leave just as the opera is getting started.

Rooms are easy enough to find in Verona unless:

a) you go during the Opera season or

b) a major trade fair.

there is no reason not to buy a return ticket in Milan if you know which train you will take back.

Yes, I do realize that Verona is on the way to Milan, but a) the hotel price in Milan was really good, b) I plan on spending a few hours in Milan prior to heading off to Venice the next morning, and c) I don't want to have flown all the way to Milan (a city I've never been to) just to lug my luggage from MXP to the shuttle bus to Milano Centrale and then switch trains and head to Verona without having seen Milan.

I completely understand that I'm doing this kind of backwards. I know that I could wait until the next day and go to Verona on my way to Venice, but I really want to see Verona at night, and I don't want ot worry about having to find and pay for left luggage at the Verona train station, etc.

Personally, it just works out better for me this way.

Thank you for letting me know that the train won't be crowded. That is certainly good news! After 24 hours of traveling, I don't want to be fighting for train space too! :)

I appreciate all of your help. I think I'll opt to take the bus from the train station to Piazza Bra, unless of course it takes too long waiting for the bus :)

jstducky:

Hey, whatever works for you.

BTW, there is nothing to see between the train station and the walls of the old city .. it's all "modern" or at least 20th century and non-desrcript, so walk, bus or taxi as the feeling moves you. If you do walk, reward yourself. Just inside the city wall, turn left and a few doors away is excellent gelato. Heck, even if you take the bus, you can still reward yourself.

Verona by night is pleasant... lots of locals out strolling. Venice my night is truly special, though.

Archived