Airport hotel vs. Ramblas hotel

Arriving in Barcelona after a cruise, one day/night only in Barcelona with a flight out at 7:am next morning. Two of our party want to take luggage to hotel near airport, go back to city to sightsee, so as not to risk airport problems. The other 2 of us want to check in closest to the ship, have that extra time in Barcelona, then just get up earlier the next morning. Any advice? How far is airport from the city?

How far is airport from the city?

The airport is about 25 minutes away and should be about a 25 euro cab ride.

If you decide to stay at the airport hotel, you can store your luggage in the city of Barcelona (there are lockers at the train station for 3-5 euro per suitcase, depending on size) so that you don't have to go all the way out to the airport and back. Then explore the city all day and check into the airport hotel in the evening whenever you are done touring for the day and ready for bed. Just stop at the train station on the way to the airport hotel.

I stayed at the Renaissance Airport hotel in Barcelona. For an airport hotel, I was highly impressed by the service and accommodations. Quite comfortable and very quiet. It is the only airport hotel you can win on Priceline - so you can bid for the hotel and know exactly where you will be staying. It is a good way to save some money instead of staying in the city...the money you save will cover the cost of your luggage storage. If you stay at the Renaissance be aware their first shuttle to the airport departs the hotel at 5am. For a 7am flight, that is fine - it is only a 5 minute ride to the airport and I found BCN to be a breeze for customs/security.

Arriving in Barcelona after a cruise' date=' one day/night only in Barcelona with a flight out at 7:am next morning. Two of our party want to take luggage to hotel near airport, go back to city to sightsee, so as not to risk airport problems. The other 2 of us want to check in closest to the ship, have that extra time in Barcelona, then just get up earlier the next morning. Any advice? How far is airport from the city?[/quote']

For 7am flight probably wiser to stay near the airport, as other poster said its ~30-35' to airport but for such an early flight you'd be looking at getting up very very early to catch the flight. The port is only a bit closer to the airport and you'd not save much time in the morning, maybe another 10' or so.

I'd much rather swallow the additional 60 euro round trip fair for cab or slight cheaper bus / train, and stay at a hotel right at the airport. I'd leave ship and drop luggage at the hotel and return back to city for the day. In one day / evening you can see much of Barcelona highlights then return to the airport/hotel late and still have reasonable night and morning before catching flight out. I'd be stressed a bit in a foreign city trying to catch a early morning flight where I would likely have to wake at 4am or earlier.

good luck

We had a 7am flight and stayed in central Barcelona. It was only about 20 minutes by cab at 430 am.There was virtually no traffic at that hour.

With only 1 day in Barcelona, I would not waste the time going from the ship, to the airport hotel and then back the city. Also, by staying in central Barcelona you can go back to teh hotel in the afternoon to freshen up before going out for dinner and enjoying the evening in the city.

We stayed in the Renaissance Hotel at the airport at an earlier cruise but now we had no pre-cruise in Barcelona.

So when we left the ship we were nicely surprised to discover this on the parking of the cruise terminal:

2009NVOTS50316-vi.jpg

They offered a shuttle from the cruise terminal to the hotel.

Some impressions of the hotel you find here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/12/barcelona-spain-hotel-recommendation.html

On our last cruise we went first to the hotel and checked-in first:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/barcelona-spain-airport-transfer-hoho.html

Then we returned to the city by train to avoid traffic congestion and can stay in Barcelona until the very last minute... as our baggage as loaded on the plane and we had already our boarding passes...

But storage is also a good option and then going on to the airport:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/12/barcelona-spain-baggage-storage.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived