Old Lahaini Luau

downsized

My bride and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary with an August 22 cruise on POA.

Neither of us has ever been to the islands, nor on a cruise before.

Frankly, the sheer number of Shore Excursions is mind boggling.

One thing for certain is that we want to experience a Luau.

We will be in Honolulu only one night, so that one is out of the question.

From the itinerary provided by NCL, we will be in Maui and Kauai overnight, so those ports (at least to me) are the obvious choices.

The Old Lahaini Luau in Maui has caught my eye. Can anyone offer any advice (pro or con) about this Luau, or any others?

Actually, I would not be adverse to attending more than one Luau.

Any (civil) input on any Hawaiian Luau will be greatly appreciated.

My bride and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary with an August 22 cruise on POA.

From the itinerary provided by NCL, we will be in Maui and Kauai overnight, so those ports (at least to me) are the obvious choices.

The Old Lahaini Luau in Maui has caught my eye. Can anyone offer any advice (pro or con) about this Luau, or any others?

OLL is one of the best around, we have been there and would go again without a doubt. Very romantic beautiful setting, good food, well organized, drinks are great, not watered down and plentiful.

If you decide on this you will need to make reservations well in advance, it's popular and only holds 500 people. The earlier you book the better your seats will be.

Here is a link to a bunch of reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=Old+Lahaina+luau&sub-search.x=20&sub-search.y=10

Having said all this you will have to rent a car as there is no transportation other than taxi which will be extremely expensive. The drive is an easy one, relaxing with many kodak moments along the way. Get you car early morning drive and spend the afternoon in Lahaina and your only 5 min drive to the luau from d/t Lahaina.

Actually, I would not be adverse to attending more than one Luau

If you are only in Hawaii for 1 night , on the cruise for 7 days and then back home I suggest you stick to one luau as there is just too much to see and do on all the islands.

We were there in 2008 we did b2b cruises on Pride of Hawaii and had almost a week in Waikiki and still didn't see it all. We did excursions,tours or cars rentals almost everyday.

Thank you, all.

Please, tell me about the Luau on Kauai.

I know, a guided tour via NCL, but that way I do not have to drive....

We did OLL booking it on our own then booking the rental car thru NCL. Get mat seating for up front views (unless you prefer to sit in chairs).

The Kauai luau was an NCL shore excursion and I think a lot of the passengers on the ship did this on our cruise 'cause the ship seemed quite empty when they all left. Remarks I heard was that it was a good experience. They do the Samoan fire dancing, so if you have your heart set on that go to this luau. OLL is more traditional and focuses only on Hawaiian dance. Fire dancing is not native Hawaiian.

HTH

Thank you, all.

Please, tell me about the Luau on Kauai.

I know, a guided tour via NCL, but that way I do not have to drive....

The old Lahaina luau is our favorite one in Hawaii. If you go to a luau on Kauai I suggest the Smith Tropical Luau at Wailua. My parents live on Kauai and they always take guests there. They feel it is the best one on Kauai. The just took my brother and family there on Thursday and said it was just as nice as ever.

For something different have you checked into the luau at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Waikik? I went there several years ago and was very impressed. I understand they have just recently changed to a new show and dinner.

HAve fun in Hawaii!

Well congrats on 40th Anniversay. YOu'll have a great time on OLL. My brother had a great time last week there. However, if you decide to miss OLL, I hear NCL's luau excursion is also a great one as well and very convenient. Have fun regardless!

<P>

OLL is one of the best around' date=' we have been there and would go again without a doubt. Very romantic beautiful setting, good food, well organized, drinks are great, not watered down and plentiful.</P>

<P> </P>

<P>If you decide on this you will need to make reservations well in advance, it's popular and only holds 500 people. The earlier you book the better your seats will be.</P>

<P>Here is a link to a bunch of reviews</P>

<P><A href="http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=Old+Lahaina+luau&sub-search.x=20&sub-search.y=10" target=_blank>http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=Old+Lahaina+luau&sub-search.x=20&sub-search.y=10</A></P>

<P> </P>

<P>Having said all this you will have to rent a car as there is no transportation other than taxi which will be extremely expensive. The drive is an easy one, relaxing with many kodak moments along the way. Get you car early morning drive and spend the afternoon in Lahaina and your only 5 min drive to the luau from d/t Lahaina.[/quote']</P>

<P>  </P>

<P> </P>

<P>We were in Maui in Feb. and went to the OLL it was wonderful. If you go you will have a great time.</P>

Archived