Mykonos -Problems with terrain and walking?

PittsburghTom

We are taking a Celebrity Soltice cruise in September. The only tour offered by the ship shows the tour to be Strenous, including 2 hours of standing or walking. Does anyone know if it is possible to avoid some of this standing or walking, or to find an alternative tour that would be easlier? Thank you.

This sounds like the tour to Delos.

We just took the ship shuttle bus into town and wandered on our own. Not real bad terrain.....not totally smooth by any means but easily done. Lots of shops, tavernas etc. to stop and rest and get a cool drink or a bite to eat. We enjoyed checking out the fish market on the harborfront, walked to the windmills, had a wonderful fresh gyro.... and shopped a bit. We were on the Solstice itinerary that had Istanbul next and we were saving our energy for that port :p

Delos, the birthplace of Apollo and Artemis, one of the great pilgrimage sites of the ancient world! How can you miss it?

BUT -- it is no place for the mobility limited. The tour is indeed long, in the hot sun, up and down hill and over rough and rocky trails.

I really wanted to see it. My friend and I, who are not good walkers, took the first part of the tour, as far as the Naxian Lions. This is relatively flat, fairly good paths, and not too far. From there we left the group and slowly made our way back to the ferry dock.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

I strongly recommend you go to Magellan Travel and get their seat-cane! The ability to sit down when I need to is a great boon to me.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We are taking a Celebrity Soltice cruise in September. The only tour offered by the ship shows the tour to be Strenous, including 2 hours of standing or walking. Does anyone know if it is possible to avoid some of this standing or walking, or to find an alternative tour that would be easlier? Thank you.

In town you can sit in a restaurant our outdoor bar. Walking around town is not a problem. On Delos there is no place to sit and it is rough terrain. Lots of rocks and broken pottery, you must watch your step. It is hot from direct sun, no shade. It is well worth it if you able to do this. If someone has difficulty walking on uneven ground this is not for them.

Delos, the birthplace of Apollo and Artemis, one of the great pilgrimage sites of the ancient world! How can you miss it?

BUT -- it is no place for the mobility limited. The tour is indeed long, in the hot sun, up and down hill and over rough and rocky trails.

I really wanted to see it. My friend and I, who are not good walkers, took the first part of the tour, as far as the Naxian Lions. This is relatively flat, fairly good paths, and not too far. From there we left the group and slowly made our way back to the ferry dock.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

I strongly recommend you go to Magellan Travel and get their seat-cane! The ability to sit down when I need to is a great boon to me.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hi, just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your review and piccies!! We are going to the east Med in Oct and found your report on Delos quite useful as well as a couple of other ports. You sound like you love cruising!!!! Thank you.

We've gone ashore on Mykonos twice in the past two years...last summer with a freshly broken ankle (on a "rollerbuddy") and this summer with a wrenched knee (but mobile). We did not take a tour but wandered the waterfront and lanes and had lunch at Nikos Taverna. We had no desire to see Delos because we've seen greater ruins. Although Myknos has huge stones with wide joints the streets provide fairly smooth surface with the lanes being smoother. This year we also went to Paradise Beach for a few hours (7.50 euros each way by taxi) just to do it.

Archived