Horizon or Penthouse on Voyager?

We're in the process of booking our 2010 cruise on Voyager and were hoping to get some experienced input as to which suite category to book.

We had a PHB last year (864) ... this year it's a PHA "upgrade" (1023 right below the pool... should be interesting... will let you know if I think it's an "upgrade" or not) ) and next year we're looking at either a PH? or Horizon Suite. ( I like the larger feeling layout of the PH, my wife likes the idea of a larger balcony.)

I've read lots of posts about the vibration issue aft on Voyager and even experienced it last fall a couple of times. Wasn't a big deal for us.

Since the Voyager has been in dry dock recently for major pod repair, I'm wondering if anyone just off the ship can comment on the "vibration issue"?

Also, what about privacy on Horizon balconies? I seem to recall eating breakfast at La Veranda and looking down on the uppermost balconies.

Any Horizon Suite junkies out there with comments?

Thanks very much in advance to our fellow friendly Regent cruisers for any responses!

While I am not just off the ship, it is fairly common knowledge that the vibration on the Voyager is not something that can be fixed. Sometimes the vibration is worse than other times -- on one cruise we hardly felt it -- on another it was quite strong at times. If the vibration doesn't bother you, go for the Horizon suite. For us, we'll stay with the forward Penthouse suites.

You should be fine under the swimming pool. We've been in those suites. You hear a bit of noise from scraping chairs -- not bad at all.

Having disembarked yesterday from a PH and my previous cruise being in an Horizon suite, I have done a lot of mental comparisons.

Firstly vibrations. It didn't bother me in the Horizon though we did feel them sometimes. Our PH was aft of the laundry room (661) and we honestly felt no vibration at all. We did have some rough weather at the North Cape and especially between Copenhagen and Oslo both outward and return, especially the return leg. But vibration there was none and I spoke to no-one who had experienced it on that voyage.

Now the overlook question. Ordinarily on the Veranda deck you would look out to sea. If you deliberately got up and looked over to see what was going on, nude sunbathing perhaps?, you can see the last few feet of the balcony immediatly below and even less of the one below that. You cannot see the balcony furniture unless it is pushed far forward. I peered over specifically to see if it would be a problem.

Because of mobility problems, the PH suited us admirably. Otherwise, I personally would opt for the view rearwards and the larger balcony (and lower cost) of the Horizon suite.

Orpington..Don't forget that in 2010 they are providing butler service in the Horzon category, AS IF it were a PH. A tariff motivated maneuver no doubt.

OP; There can be significant vibration under certain sea conditions in the Horizon suites...just depends whether this is an issue for you. The H's

do not have total privacy...and if you wish to reduce the possibility of peering eyes, don't choose deck 10 because The Verandah outdoor dining area is directly above it. Many very much enjoy the layout of the PH & as you are familiar with this, you can factor it in.

I believe that the 'pod' problem and the vibration are completely unrelated.

We've stayed in 877, a Horizon cabin. Our first Penthouse experience will be this December. I would book a Horizon cabin again in a heartbeat IF I was on a view intensive itinerary. Otherwise I'd save the money and stick with a standard G cabin. The vibration in 877 didn't bother us at all but it was noticable. The extra large balcony was wonderful since we were cruising the fjords. Our marvelous TA moved us from a deck 10 Horizon cabin to 877 for two reasons. First, they start moving chairs around in La Veranda just above at 6:00 a.m. setting up for breakfast. Second, they hose down the La Veranda deck frequently and there is a bit of drippage on to the decks immediately below, not good if you walk out there in your socks. Pat

OrpingtonT -- you took the same cruise as we did when the vibration was minimal. It seems the strongest in open seas.

Yes in the Med I would expect vibration to be minimal but we were in open, quite rough seas going up to North Cape and later returning to Copenhagen and travelling at speed also. Nevertheless we did not experience vibration nor did anyone mention it, though some felt seasick.

Based on our single experience in a Horizon suite on the Voyager, it would appear that stern vibration is more a function of ship's speed than sea conditions. At or below about 17 knots there was little vibration (if any). At about 20 knots, the vibration was present and annoying. At 22 knots, it became more of a "shaking" at the stern -- much worse than we experienced on our Navigator cruises anywhere on that ship. This speed/vibration relationship remained the same, regardless of the roughness of the seas.

Based on our single experience in a Horizon suite on the Voyager, it would appear that stern vibration is more a function of ship's speed than sea conditions. At or below about 17 knots there was little vibration (if any). At about 20 knots, the vibration was present and annoying. At 22 knots, it became more of a "shaking" at the stern -- much worse than we experienced on our Navigator cruises anywhere on that ship. This speed/vibration relationship remained the same, regardless of the roughness of the seas.

Thanks for that information. I've heard why the Voyager vibrates -- just not about the affect speed has on it. For us, the worst we have felt it is in the entry way to La Veranda. Still, IMO, the vibration on the Navigator is considerably worse than on the Voyager (probably because it is due to the hull and affects more areas of the ship)

Dear Island cruiser,

We are in horizon suite 878 on Oct 2 cruise(same as 877 but on the other side). Did you enjoy what appears to be a wrap around deck that provides privacy? We originally were in the same suite but on deck 10 and I also was worried about privacy and noise from the Veranda above. Thanks for the info.

Len

Thank you all so much for your input.

Lots of very interesting points. If we go Horizon, we'd want to be down a few decks to avoid "deck wash" (excellent information) as well as peering eyes and the odd, wayward fork or juice glass from La Veranda. I recall eating breakfast outside and looking down at the balcony below us and there was a table placemat on it just like the one on our tables.

I seem to recall noticing the vibration on only one night in bed as we were steaming along probably near full speed. I agree that it is speed related and not sea related. That being said, I do recall a couple of breakfasts in La Veranda while in port and feeling heavy vibration.

I'm glad I asked the question. I think my wife and I will just have to mud...I mean arm wrestle over PH layout or Horizon balcony.

Our experience with vibration in a horizon suite was significant. In addition, the movement of the ship is magnified if you are aft. So, while a bad day at sea may be hardly felt mid ship, it can be like a bucking bronco aft! Also, it is very noisy in the horizon suites when you are docking. As you know, the ship docks in the early morning in most cases. You will not need an alarm clock. If you are sensitive to vibration, motion and very loud noise, the horizon suites may not be the right location for you.

You may need to forgo that horizon view, but if you are mid ship or forward, you will have an excellent suite and a quiet cruise on the Voyager.

cb

I want to agree with CB...although the vibration is influenced by speed,it is also influenced by docking maneuvers. One time we were in stormy seas for a few days in a row [near Vietnam] and eventually the constant rattling in our cabin finally got on our nerves.

When the Voyager (or any other ship) is docking, the side screws are used to move the ship sideways. These cause vibration, but only during docking. And I agree that this situation is particularly noticeable on the Voyager near the stern.

There really is no end to this debate on vibration on Voyager. Some feel it, some don't, and some don't care.

Now it is joined by the movement felt by the thrust of the pods on docking. In the bows you hear or feel the anchor. On docking side you hear the clatter of the gangway. When tendering you hear the lowering of tenders. We are on a ship with creaking and groaning fron the movement.

Much better than in a hotel with the groaning etc from next door rooms, which is much more audible.

Congrats to Regent from me for the very good soundproofing in difficult circumstances.

Len, we enjoyed that wrap around balcony immensely. Those decks are one of the hidden secrets of Voyager. Due to the construction of the ship, the corner decks on eight and ten are substantially larger than the already larger Horizon View decks. And they are offered at no extra charge. Our marvelous TA was aware of this when she moved us from a middle deck ten cabin to 877. The cruse consultant on the ship was not aware of this. It sure pays to have a great TA! Pat

There really is no end to this debate on vibration on Voyager. Some feel it, some don't, and some don't care.

Now it is joined by the movement felt by the thrust of the pods on docking. In the bows you hear or feel the anchor. On docking side you hear the clatter of the gangway. When tendering you hear the lowering of tenders. We are on a ship with creaking and groaning fron the movement.

Much better than in a hotel with the groaning etc from next door rooms, which is much more audible.

Congrats to Regent from me for the very good soundproofing in difficult circumstances.

OrpingtonT, your post is sooo funny!!!! Especially "Much better than in a hotel with the groaning etc from next door rooms, which is much more audible."

That sums the whole mess up, my good man.

We've been there!! Didn't want to touch the T-shirt, let alone buy it.

For what it's worth, as the OP of this thread, I'd like to announce that we have decided on a Penthouse midship. Deck to be determined.

Thank you all!

Orpington, nice post! Please be here the next time this subject arises again, as it will, most certainly as the seasons change and time moves on!

Sorry jhp... didn't mean this to become a debate about vibration. Original intent was suite layout vs. balcony size.

bugbit, when it comes to Voyager and Navigator, it ALWAYS turns to vibration on this board when there is a question about aft suites! Must be a more exciting issue for some ;)

I'm a low, mid ship standard cabin sort, so I never have this angst. For me, only Penthouse cabins I envy are those spacious ones on the Mariner, as well as their aft suites with the bigger space as well as big decks, and NO vibration.

That vibration issue understandably keeps arising as people come and go. I'm not complaining, but it sure helps to have Orpington's humor to put it all in perspective!

Archived