24 hour travel card in Stockholm

We are sailing on Jewel of the Seas in August and will be docked at Frihamnen. Can anyone tell me if you are able to buy the 24 hour travel card at the dock (not the Stockholm card just the one that covers transport)?

Thanks in advance

Debbie:)

I didn't see it for sale at the dock. I would buy it online before your trip--it saved us time and money.

Les

We were docked at Frihamnen 6-18-2009 on the Holland Rotterdam and bought the 24 hour travel card right at the cruise terminal on our VISA card (60 SEK if over 65 years old, 100 SEK if not).

It is about 1/2 mile walk to the bus stop.

Bus # 76 is works well for getting around.

The ticket is also good for the subway and the shuttle ferry between Gamla Stan and Djurgarden Island.

Have a great trip!

We were docked at Frihamnen 6-18-2009 on the Holland Rotterdam and bought the 24 hour travel card right at the cruise terminal on our VISA card (60 SEK if over 65 years old, 100 SEK if not).

The ticket is also good for the subway and the shuttle ferry between Gamla Stan and Djurgarden Island.

Have a great trip!

I have not been down to the new terminal at Frihamnen so I'm not sure. Can you tell me if you bought the 24 hour card at a convenience store (Pressbyrån)? It would make a lot of sense to me to sell public transport tickets there at the terminal, I'm just wondering who is selling them.

Thanks

Al

Have a great trip!

Thanks. I've also seen the same information on another website - just over 5 weeks to go!:D

Debbie:)

I have not been down to the new terminal at Frihamnen so I'm not sure. Can you tell me if you bought the 24 hour card at a convenience store (Pressbyrån)? It would make a lot of sense to me to sell public transport tickets there at the terminal, I'm just wondering who is selling them.

Thanks

Al

Hi Al, this problem for cruise passengers to get tickets for the public transport system is something I have talked to both SL and the Stockholm tourist people about since we no longer could pay the bus drivers. Last spring they said they intended to start selling tickets, including the 24 hour card, in the little information centers that Tourist Information people have at the quays. From what I have heard they started doing so in June last summer and are still doing so. Which means there is no need to try to find a Pressbyrån or similar place.

The problem for us to check out how it really works is that the information centers are inside the area where only the passengers can enter. Yesterday I had a long talk with SL to get more information. But unfortunately nobody there knew anything about it. Probably the Tourist Office buys tickets from SL and then resell them without being officially listed.

Just returned from Azamara baltic cruise. We purchased our Stockholm Card at the Swedish House right in downtown. it is a large tourist info center which was about a 2 block walk from our shuttle drop-off at the Opera Hse. It is an excellnet well-run center with very helpful personnel (probably one of the best run, most efficient I have ever encountered). We did take advantage of the card and found it worthwhile. However, keep in mind, that many of the more popular activities (ie-canal tours) book up quickly and you may need to have an alternate plan (or be patient) Enjoy!

Just returned from Azamara baltic cruise. We purchased our Stockholm Card at the Swedish House right in downtown. it is a large tourist info center which was about a 2 block walk from our shuttle drop-off at the Opera Hse. It is an excellnet well-run center with very helpful personnel (probably one of the best run, most efficient I have ever encountered). We did take advantage of the card and found it worthwhile. However, keep in mind, that many of the more popular activities (ie-canal tours) book up quickly and you may need to have an alternate plan (or be patient) Enjoy!

The Stockholm Card that includes museums and some tours is a different card from the 24 hour transport card. The transport card is for public transport only and unlike the Stockholm card it does include the ferry between Slussen and Djurgården (the area where Skansen and Vasa museums are located). With a transport card (or a Stockholm card) there is no need to take a ships shuttle to get to the city. From what i know both the Stockhom Card that includes museums and the 24 hour transport card can be bought at theTourist informations right at the quay.

The Stockholm Card that includes museums and some tours is a different card from the 24 hour transport card. The transport card is for public transport only and unlike the Stockholm card it does include the ferry between Slussen and Djurgården (the area where Skansen and Vasa museums are located). With a transport card (or a Stockholm card) there is no need to take a ships shuttle to get to the city. From what i know both the Stockhom Card that includes museums and the 24 hour transport card can be bought at theTourist informations right at the quay.

Ok help me out a bit here....is the Stockholm Card the same as the HOHO card or is the 24 hour transport card the same as the HOHO card? So many cards, so little time. :confused:

Ok help me out a bit here....is the Stockholm Card the same as the HOHO card or is the 24 hour transport card the same as the HOHO card? So many cards, so little time. :confused:

The Stockholm Card does include some sightseeing tours, but not the HOHO bus or the HOHO boat. And neither does the 24 hour transport card, it will only include regular public transport.

The HOHO bus will turn up at the main ports, Stadsgården, Frihamnen and Värtahamnen when there is a cruiseship in. But the HOHO boat is in my opinion only of interest if your ship will be docked at Stadsgården. It does not go anywhere near the other ports.

My own preference would be with the 24 hour transport card. It is easy to use public transport in Stockholm and the ferry between Gamla Stan and the museum area is nice if the weather is good. The Stockholm Card does not include the ferry and is not worth the extra cost unless you intend to go to several museums.

I have never been on the HOHO bus or boat so I can't say much about them.

The Stockholm Card does include some sightseeing tours, but not the HOHO bus or the HOHO boat. And neither does the 24 hour transport card, it will only include regular public transport.

The HOHO bus will turn up at the main ports, Stadsgården, Frihamnen and Värtahamnen when there is a cruiseship in. But the HOHO boat is in my opinion only of interest if your ship will be docked at Stadsgården. It does not go anywhere near the other ports.

My own preference would be with the 24 hour transport card. It is easy to use public transport in Stockholm and the ferry between Gamla Stan and the museum area is nice if the weather is good. The Stockholm Card does not include the ferry and is not worth the extra cost unless you intend to go to several museums.

I have never been on the HOHO bus or boat so I can't say much about them.

Thanks north-bound. Is there a web site for the 24 hour card? Does it include entrance fees to places like Tivoli and Vasa?

Thanks north-bound. Is there a web site for the 24 hour card? Does it include entrance fees to places like Tivoli and Vasa?

No, that is what I tried to explain; the 24 hour transport card includes nothing but public transport (which includes the ferry from Gamla Stan to Djurgården. No museums at all. The 24 hour transport card costs 100 kronor (60 kronor if you are older than 65). Here is a link to SL, our public transport company http://www.sl.se/Templates/SubStart.aspx?id=1906

The Stockholm Card includes public transport (but not the ferry from Gamla Stan to Djurgården) and also most museums in Stockholm and some sightseeing. It costs 365 kronor for a 24 hour card. It is up to you to decide wether you think you will spend enough on museums to make it worthwhile with this card. Here is a link: http://stockholmtown.jetshop.se/default.aspx?main=/en-GB/the-stockholm-card-c-105-1.aspx

No, that is what I tried to explain; the 24 hour transport card includes nothing but public transport (which includes the ferry from Gamla Stan to Djurgården. No museums at all. The 24 hour transport card costs 100 kronor (60 kronor if you are older than 65). Here is a link to SL, our public transport company http://www.sl.se/Templates/SubStart.aspx?id=1906

The Stockholm Card includes public transport (but not the ferry from Gamla Stan to Djurgården) and also most museums in Stockholm and some sightseeing. It costs 365 kronor for a 24 hour card. It is up to you to decide wether you think you will spend enough on museums to make it worthwhile with this card. Here is a link: http://stockholmtown.jetshop.se/default.aspx?main=/en-GB/the-stockholm-card-c-105-1.aspx

Thanks again, north-bound. The two web sites are a big help. :)

When I arrived in Stockholm 2 years ago, and I was interested in purchasing the Stockholm Card, I was concerned about where to get one since we would also be docking at Frihamnen.

I know that it's not the Stockholm Card you are looking for, but this may help.

I emailed the Stockhom Tourist Information office to find out a) if the tourist information center at Firhamnen would be open the day our ship docked there, and b) what services they offered (ie what cards they would be selling).

They answered my email, and other subsequent emails in less than 24 hours.

Here is there email address: info@svb.stockholm.se

You may want to try and email them and ask them if they will a) be open at Frihamnen, and b) if they sell the 24 hour travel card

good luck!

The problem for us to check out how it really works is that the information centers are inside the area where only the passengers can enter. Yesterday I had a long talk with SL to get more information. But unfortunately nobody there knew anything about it. Probably the Tourist Office buys tickets from SL and then resell them without being officially listed.

Hi North-Bound,

This is sad. Remember a few years ago, pre-911? We could walk right up to the gangway of the ships. Now everything is behind locked gates, a necessary evil I suppose, still sad.

Glad to hear they are selling the 24 hour cards inside the terminal. I know there is a small info shack inside the gates at Stadsgården 167, so anyone wanting to use public transport should look there before leaving the security area.

Al

Hi North-Bound,

This is sad. Remember a few years ago, pre-911? We could walk right up to the gangway of the ships. Now everything is behind locked gates, a necessary evil I suppose, still sad.

Glad to hear they are selling the 24 hour cards inside the terminal. I know there is a small info shack inside the gates at Stadsgården 167, so anyone wanting to use public transport should look there before leaving the security area.

Al

Yes sad indeed. And frustrating not being able to have a look around inside to find the correct answers to questions here.

I know there is something similar to the shed at Stadsgården at Frihamnen too. But I can’t even see it from the gates so I don’t know if it is a shed or if it is inside a building.

Archived