Afternoon Tea

k9mama

My mother's favourite tea. Sadly we have yet to find it on Princess. She ends up drinking Earl Grey.

Obviously a discerning lady of great taste!

I generally have to take my own when cruising.

Sadly most cruise staff think Lipton's is a type of tea rather than a brand.

When we ask if they have a white tea instead, they think I mean Liption's with milk...

Oh....... this thread brings back so many memories of my Grandmother from Scotland. She introduced me to the fine habit of afternoon tea with home made scones when I was around 8 or 9. The ones on the ship aren't as good, but guess they will have to do! My grandmother always had scones, strawberry jam, clotted cream and instead of milk she used a concentrated sweet type of thick milk. Anyone from Scotland know if this is usual? We always had afternoon tea together when I went to visit.

She would also make a cake like treat and have little trinkets in it (rings etc.) Anyone know what I am talking about? I think she would boil it. Anyone have any ideas. All my relatives from Scotland have passed on and I am forgetting so much.

A cruising friend and I are planning at least one afternoon tea when we are on the Emerald next month. I'm glad to hear it's such a nice experience. My DH just rolls his eyes at the thought. I guess that's why we love our girlfriends !

Oh I do hope that you have your grandmother's recipe fror scones. Scottish scones are so much better than English or Welsh or US scones. If you have the recipe would you please send it to me?

Yikes! Are you trying to start WWIII?

A cruising friend and I are planning at least one afternoon tea when we are on the Emerald next month. I'm glad to hear it's such a nice experience. My DH just rolls his eyes at the thought. I guess that's why we love our girlfriends !

My husband went with me every time I went. :) Never got my kids there though - cuz they were always busy in the clubs....

If available do your self a favour and please try lapsang souchong if it is being offered, no other tea will ever do after trying it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapsang_souchong

No milk required.

So I bought some at the grocery store today. Do you know anyone in Michigan that would like 19 teabags of it? Too strong for me! :(

Guess I'll stick with my Chinese Green Tea.

I had to drag my husband the first time but lo and behold, he LOVED it!

Oh I do hope that you have your grandmother's recipe fror scones. Scottish scones are so much better than English or Welsh or US scones. If you have the recipe would you please send it to me?

From all my cruises the on board bakers dont seem to know how to perfect the simple scone.Usually they are hard which would imply that they possibly nead them too much.

Try this simple recipe .The Lemonade used is a can of Sprite or 7 up and can be diet.

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/lemonade-scone-recipe.html

http://www.abc.net.au/local/recipes/2008/05/22/2252807.htm?site=westernplains

http://everydaymatters-patricia.blogspot.com/2007/07/mums-lemonade-date-scones.html

The above recipes are so simple, its childs play.

enjoy.Ex Baker

From all my cruises the on board bakers dont seem to know how to perfect the simple scone.Usually they are hard which would imply that they possibly nead them too much.

Try this simple recipe .The Lemonade used is a can of Sprite or 7 up and can be diet.

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/lemonade-scone-recipe.html

http://www.abc.net.au/local/recipes/2008/05/22/2252807.htm?site=westernplains

http://everydaymatters-patricia.blogspot.com/2007/07/mums-lemonade-date-scones.html

The above recipes are so simple, its childs play.

enjoy.Ex Baker

Such sacrilege and then I suppose the scones are covered in vegemite :eek:

Actually there are so many variations on the above recipes. Because you dont add sugar (except the can of carbonated lemonade)

There would be no reason why you coudnt have a savoury spread, ie vegemite or what ever you desire.

You could even add shreaded cheese and ham to the recipe.

Actually there are so many variations on the above recipes. Because you dont add sugar (except the can of carbonated lemonade)

There would be no reason why you coudnt have a savoury spread, ie vegemite or what ever you desire.

You could even add shreaded cheese and ham to the recipe.

*Shakes head in despair*

So I bought some at the grocery store today. Do you know anyone in Michigan that would like 19 teabags of it? Too strong for me! :(

Guess I'll stick with my Chinese Green Tea.

In a bag? eek!

The sensible and original way is to use loose tea through a strainer to your preferred strength, like all teas.

IMHO - i would encourage people to at least try it....I personally think it is the perfect afternoon diversion. The scones and sandwiches are a great light snack, the tea is always good, and the conversation can be quite interesting. If you typically don't like being placed in forced conversations with strangers in the main dining room it's the perfect situation. If You happen to be seated with people you don't enjoy, it's quite simple to pick up and leave. There's no minimum amount of time your have to stay or courses to go through.

There's something to be said for these last vestiges of times gone by. People having social interaction including conversation. Other posters are correct, it's not everyone's cup of tea but you won't know it until you try it.

Oh....... this thread brings back so many memories of my Grandmother from Scotland. She introduced me to the fine habit of afternoon tea with home made scones when I was around 8 or 9. The ones on the ship aren't as good, but guess they will have to do! My grandmother always had scones, strawberry jam, clotted cream and instead of milk she used a concentrated sweet type of thick milk. Anyone from Scotland know if this is usual? We always had afternoon tea together when I went to visit.

She would also make a cake like treat and have little trinkets in it (rings etc.) Anyone know what I am talking about? I think she would boil it. Anyone have any ideas. All my relatives from Scotland have passed on and I am forgetting so much.

She was probably using Condensed Milk, which would certainly last longer than fresh milk. Refrigerators were not common in the old days, so the CM could be kept as a standby.

The cake-like treat was most likely a ‘Clootie Dumpling’ which was wrapped up in a cloth then boiled. (If memory serves me right, clootie was an old Scottish word for cloth.

Instead of trinkets, the usual surprise was small coins, like threepenny or sixpenny bits, cooked in with the dumpling. When eating your piece of dumpling you had to be very careful when biting down.(Please, no teeth jokes):)

Google for Scottish recipes and you’ll probably find scones and Clootie Dumpling.:D

Hope this helps.

I'm not from Scotland, but just south of the border in Northumberland. As children we had condensed milk (which we called sticky milk). It was sweet and thick and sticky!). We had it in tubes on picnics, so we didn't need to take sugar. We also used to like eating it with a spoon (as children, that is!). You can still buy it here - we use it for making millionaires shortbread (the biscuit with the toffee centre). I think the cake you are referring to is a cloutie dumpling - we used to have it when we visited our scottish friends in Edinburgh. It was made for birthdays. It was made with flour, sugar, dried fruit and suet and boiled in a muslin cloth. It was delicious! Our family used to make girdle scones (flatter than ordinary scones, made with fruit and cooked on a griddle). They were served with butter and, for birthdays, a silver six pence was wrapped in paper and put inside. In the same way, we put money in the Christmas Pudding served on Xmas Day!

Barbara

Archived