Athen: Hoel and Airport Questions

jec2

DW and I will be finishing our 29 day cruise aboard the Rotterdam in Athens on Oct 3, 2009. Our flight home is 3 days later and leaves at 7:15 AM. Is it better to stay:

1) 3 nights in downtown Athens and try to get to the airport early that morning for the flight.

2) 2 nights in downtown Athens and find a hotel near the airport with shuttle service for the early morning flight.

3) 3 nights in a hotel close to the airport and try to get into Athens for sightseeing from there.

Knowing DW, we will have plenty of baggage so public transportation seems out of the question. Also have heard that the train to the airport is erratic due to construction.

Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

John

My opinion:

reserve a hotel in Athens...

A. you need 1 day for see these: Acropolis area, National museum, Plaka area, Sounion, Athens by night (Psyri, Plaka etc)

B. you need a day for a nice trip in these islands: Hydra, Spetses, Poros, Egina (boats from Pireaus)...

C. if your cruise don't has Nafplion in ports: Ancient Corinth, Mykeane, Epidauros, Nafplion..

if you visit Nafplion with your cruise go to plan b: Delfoi

for all these are tours with offices or you can do by your own with public transfers...

I vote for #1, three nights in Athens, where all the action is. Sleep on the airplane!:D

You certainly do not want to be commuting from the airport into Athens, especially with the metro still not operating to and from the airport.

Fafos has presented a very ambitious itinerary. After a 29-day cruise, I would not be traveling out to Piraeus to catch a boat to cruise to several more islands. You will need at least two full days in Athens to cover the highlights of central Athens, IMO.

Thanks for your suggestions. However, I don't think I explained my problem well enough. I was concerned about getting from Athens to the airport to catch a 7:15 AM flight, as I would have to leave at 4:30 AM or so. I've solved the problem by changing my flight to 5 PM, so now I should be able to easily get a taxi in daylight and arrive at the airport on time. Now my option #1 works OK.

John

My opinion:

A. you need 1 day for see these: Acropolis area, National museum, Plaka area, Sounion, Athens by night (Psyri, Plaka etc)

B. you need a day for a nice trip in these islands: Hydra, Spetses, Poros, Egina (boats from Pireaus)...

C. if your cruise don't has Nafplion in ports: Ancient Corinth, Mykeane, Epidauros, Nafplion..

for all these are tours with offices or you can do by your own with public transfers...

Hi - Since you know Athens well, is there an easy 5 to 6 hour boat trip to a nearby Island from the Pireaus port? We'd love to hop on a small boat and avoid the day in Athens? Thanks. Italy Traveler

Hi - Since you know Athens well, is there an easy 5 to 6 hour boat trip to a nearby Island from the Pireaus port? We'd love to hop on a small boat and avoid the day in Athens? Thanks. Italy Traveler

closed island at Piraeus is Aegina (1/2 hour) but is not something special.. the best island is Hydra (1 1/2 hour with hydrofoil)..

check the hydrofoils times here: http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/media/siteimages/dromologia2007/taxiploasaronikos.pdf

My opinion:

Thank you so much for all your information... it has been very helpful in our planning.

Do you have any suggestions for a hotel or an area in Athens? We would prefer a local brand/chain that is in a safe area and with good access to public transportation

In late September, we are planning 3 or 4 days in Athens after our cruise. We are interested in the day trip to Hydra and the one day sightseeing you mentioned... Acropolis area, National museum, Plaka area, Sounion, Athens by night (Psyri, Plaka etc).... plus any other other suggestions you may have.

Thank you

Thank you so much for all your information... it has been very helpful in our planning.

Do you have any suggestions for a hotel or an area in Athens? We would prefer a local brand/chain that is in a safe area and with good access to public transportation

In late September, we are planning 3 or 4 days in Athens after our cruise. We are interested in the day trip to Hydra and the one day sightseeing you mentioned... Acropolis area, National museum, Plaka area, Sounion, Athens by night (Psyri, Plaka etc).... plus any other other suggestions you may have.

Thank you

I can't help you with hotel but.. if you are from USA or Canada "bid a price" at Priceline.com for Intercontinental hotel.. very nice hotel and safe area...

Plaka area is safe too and has many hotels in there...

Archived