Venice Airport to Ship Question

Traveling Bob

We usually never travel on the sail date, but this year has us arriving in Venice only 8 hours before we sail on the Spirit on 8/15. Can anyone provide some info as to the best way to get from the Airport to the Ship? (and the approximate cost?)

http://www.actv.it/english/navigazione.php?pagina=tariffe_vaporetto

There are routes in pdf format there.

There are regular buses and waterbuses that run from the airport to points that connect to local routes to the point where Seabourn docks.

It's a pretty short trip so you might have time to zip around on a day pass after you drop your bags at the island train station.

http://www.veniceconnected.com/node/330

We are doing the opposite on Sept 26th. Ending in Venice and flying out the next day early.

We usually never travel on the sail date, but this year has us arriving in Venice only 8 hours before we sail on the Spirit on 8/15. Can anyone provide some info as to the best way to get from the Airport to the Ship? (and the approximate cost?)

We prefer the water taxi. Fast, personal, usually you get a bit of a private tour as well. The vaporetto are cheap but take some time and are generally a pain with luggage. The water taxi is not cheap but then, neither is Seabourn. Two years ago, a water taxi for 4 with luggage cost us 80 Euros plus tip. We thought it was well worth it.

Jim.

Take a land taxi - cost: +/- 30 EUR

Not trying to be insulting but what a boring way to enter one of the greatest cities in the world. The water taxi offers stunning views plus the convenience. IMHO, well worth the tariff.

With eight hours to spare I'm sure they will have time to tour about on the water. One always gets nervous about ensuring that you get from A to B in time though.

Now they have some options to fit any level of adventure.

The next question is what to do with your luggage if you arrive too early to board. I'm relying on there being a baggage check post trip at the Santa Lucia train station. Does anyone know if you can leave things at Saint Marta or Basilio?

With eight hours to spare I'm sure they will have time to tour about on the water. One always gets nervous about ensuring that you get from A to B in time though.

Now they have some options to fit any level of adventure.

The next question is what to do with your luggage if you arrive too early to board. I'm relying on there being a baggage check post trip at the Santa Lucia train station. Does anyone know if you can leave things at Saint Marta or Basilio?

I called Seabourne today; they said that luggage can be left at the ship earlier, even though boarding isn't until 2. They said that the ship will leave from San Basilio.

The water taxi would seem to be the way to go, but $115 is a bit pricey for 2 people. I know that they can take 4 easily. Anyone on the non-stop Delta/Northwest/Alitalia fight from JFK arriving at 9:40 AM (or anywhere else arriving at about the same time) that would like to share?

You can email me at rwachewski@maimonidesmed.org if interested.

Please do yourself a favor and take a water taxi. Yes, it costs 100 euros but it is the easiest and most convenient way to transfer. Some things should not be skimped on and imo this is one of them.

There is a car service desk in the terminal at Marco Polo,turn left after you come out of the customs hall.They have Mercedes E Class and charge 50 Euros.

What would you do with a Mercedes in Venice, except park it?:confused:

A car can only take you to Piazzele Roma from which you still have to take a water taxi.

You are much better off taking the water taxi all the way from the airport. Plus you're in Venice....why even think of land transportation?????

A car can only take you to Piazzele Roma from which you still have to take a water taxi.

You are much better off taking the water taxi all the way from the airport. Plus you're in Venice....why even think of land transportation?????

Where Seabourn dock in Venice you can drive right up to the ship, so hence a car transfer from the airport to the pier is an easy option, also the weather in Venice is not always good and having once done a water taxi trip from the airport to the cruise port in torrential rain this is not the way to go;)

Where Seabourn dock in Venice you can drive right up to the ship, so hence a car transfer from the airport to the pier is an easy option, also the weather in Venice is not always good and having once done a water taxi trip from the airport to the cruise port in torrential rain this is not the way to go;)

You're right! The weather in Italy can vary: There is a weather alarm at the moment: Temperatures of more than 40 Celsius!

Marja

I agree. The roadway shares the causeway with the trains. Very elegant way to approach this beautiful city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wripro viewpost.gif

Thank you both for your help. But, the views & the weather aside, who is correct about reaching the ship by car?

As far as I know the only place in Venice you can drive to is Piazzele Roma. I was just in Venice for the maiden voyage of the Odyssey which docked at the main cruise terminal and we took a water taxi from our hotel. Last time I was there on the Pride we docked at San Basilio. I can't see how one could possibly drive a car there. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

As far as I know the only place in Venice you can drive to is Piazzele Roma. I was just in Venice for the maiden voyage of the Odyssey which docked at the main cruise terminal and we took a water taxi from our hotel. Last time I was there on the Pride we docked at San Basilio. I can't see how one could possibly drive a car there. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

I would agree. I would not like to try it..it makes no sense. For one thing..one time when we were there the place was flooded.

I`m afraid you are wrong Henry. Taxis and limos will pick you up at San Basilio. A water taxi is far more fun and an easier way to get to many hotels but if flying the same day as disembarking a land taxi takes you straight to airport entrance whereas with the water taxi you are still someway off.

David

Cars can get to San Basilio...they come through the land (port) side. A water taxi is easier and much more fun...Google "venice water taxis"...

Thanks for the tip. I contacted 3 different services and the all said that I can get there by car or water taxi. Price by car ranged from 38 to 69 Euros; water taxi: 80 to 100.

• 4 weeks later...
Never had a problem with a car to San Basilio and I will take a car straight to the Odyssey in August which will be berthed at Stazzione Marittima Terminal 103

We are disembarking the Odyssey in Venice.

Can anyone recommend a land taxi company which can be booked in advance for transfer to the airport, please?

Many thanks

Archived