?'s from a newbie - Treasures of Asia Jun'10

jjelly13

Hi,

I have not cruised before, except a little 2 nighter down the coast from Brisbane to Sydney on the Dawn Princess in June (very late embarkation & arrival & very rough seas).

I'm thinking of booking a cruise for next year on the Sun Princess for 17 nights sailing from Fremantle and going to Asia (Geraldon, Penang, Phuket, Langkawi, Kuala Lumpur & Singapore).

I have a few questions that some of you more experienced cruisers may be able to answer for me.

Do you need vacinations & if so, what kind & how far in advance would you need to get them?

Do you need a visa (I've only travelled to NZ & didn't need one) & if so, who do you get it?

Has anyone used Princess for the flights (worried as the cruise we were on so many people missed flights, etc), if so, what airline did they use and was it worth it?

I'm looking at booking an inside stateroom as I'm paying for my mum as well, so would R332 be any good (we both don't get seasick, 2 nighter had very rough seas LOL).

That's it for the moment, I hope these questions are appropriate, I did a search but could not find what I needed.

Many thanks

J

Hi J,

I will answer the questions I can and leave others to comment also.

Re vaccinations - I suggest you speak to your doctor. If we were going on this trip we would not have vaccinations, but we do not eat when we are ashore. Mosquito-borne illnesses probably would not be an issue as the mossies come out at dawn and dusk. If you are concerned about mossies use insect repellent. It has not side-effects whereas the anti-malaria medication can have.

Visas - check with your travel agent or check on the internet.

Flights - Princess (and P & O) use Virgin. They are not my favourite airline, but they aren't too bad. As you mention, the major advantage of booking through the cruiseline is that it is their problem to look after if the ship is delayed. This is probably worth the bit of extra cost.

Cabin - R332 would be good. It is fairly near the bow, but you mention that you don't get seasick. It is very convenient being near the stairs/lift as well as the dining room.

Have a great cruise.:):)

Evon.

Hi J,

We are on the cruise leaving June 21 , so I may be able to help.

If you posted this query on one the recent Asia roll calls you will get a 'spot on' reply.

I haven't heard of visas mentioned (the TA would tell you and Princess usually organise them for everyone) . As for jabs, your GP will be the best person to ask. We had Hep A shots last year. That was on our GP's recommendation, especially if we were to eat in SE Asia. We haven't asked our GP if we need anything else. I would make enquiries there soon as you may need a few months between jabs.

We are flying over the day before the cruise and O/N in Fremantle.We will also have a day in Perth before flying home after the cruise. I found Q... to be far better..in terms of luggage and meals inclusions...and price. The Princess airfare is pricier, but does include a shuttle ride to the ship.

R332 is a bit too high up and far forward if you are worried about motion sickness. The R suites on deck 11 (or lower still) would be a better choice.

I'm sure other recent cruiser will be able to fill in the gaps and give more accurate responses.

If you sail on the 21st, you are very welcome to join our roll call.

Regards,

Anna

Hi J

We have just done that cruise - it was fantastic , you will love it.

In answer to your questions ::

Do you need vacinations & if so, what kind & how far in advance would you need to get them? - No, our GP said not necessary , but check with yours

Do you need a visa (I've only travelled to NZ & didn't need one) & if so, who do you get it? - No...No pre-arranged Visas required if you have Australian Passport, for any ports on this cruise, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. Immigration from each country do the whole entry formalities for everyone on board at the same time ( they get on board pre-port)

Has anyone used Princess for the flights (worried as the cruise we were on so many people missed flights, etc), if so, what airline did they use and was it worth it? - Dont use Princess for flights due to high cost. We fly in day before, and fly out day after return, so no issue missing cruise or flight. Key issue is not so much the price, but luggage limitations on Tiger, Virgin, and Jetstar - though you can purchase extra weight. Qantas much dearer fares, but luggage far more generous - check them all and and go with what suits your needs best.

I'm looking at booking an inside stateroom as I'm paying for my mum as well, so would R332 be any good (we both don't get seasick, 2 nighter had very rough seas LOL). _ We had R339 booked, but got upgraded :) so did not use. Location is fantastic in terms of proximity to pools, deck bars and buffet - but it is a long walk up the stairs from indoor facilities on level 7 and 8 and dining rooms on level 5 and 6

Cheers

Steve

Hi there,

Just completed the same cruise that left Fremantle June 17 this year. You say that you are going in 2010 - is that right?

The cruise was great - lots of sea days if that doesn't worry you. No visas were required but take your passport. Very hot and steamy that time of year but not uncomfortable. The ship was very nice, we had a balcony cabin on Baja Deck - B508 - very nice. A liitle small compared to our last cruise but you soon get used to that. Plenty of room for bags and clothes.

Hi J,

If you would like to chat more about next year's SE Asia cruise, then just click on the link to our group. You may not be aware of roll calls. There are designed to help people from the same cruise share knowledge, excitment, form friendships and sometimes organise excursions to share costs.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=971359

Regards,

Anna

Archived