The voyage from hell!!!

garigoun

How bout "The Good Ship Lollipop?"

It's good but it's not the one (to misquote Roy Walker who nobody on the left hand side of the Atlantic will ever have heard of - actually, come to think of it there probably aren't many on the right hand side who've heard of him either).

I think we need something with a bit more gritty realism, a bit more dramatic oomph, a bit more true-life, down-to-earth, kick ass, northern soul.

I'm thinking "Consternation Street" here, or maybe, given the average age of the participants, "Where The Heart Was". "The Old and the Restful" may do it as well, or maybe, "Days of Our Lives (not very many, and counting down fast)"

J

Excuse ME!!! I do have standards you know.

Gari

And if you don't like those, he has others!!

I think Pugwash, the laminated Happy Scot and the irascible Slow Foxtrot would enhance the occasion.

Even I would love to be on that one, as a dispassionate observer of course. I'm sure that once I got past the brogue the conversations would be fascinating.

... and the irascible Slow Foxtrot would enhance the occasion.

Foxy? Irascible?

Now I just know you don't mean that Gene! Foxy's just an old pussy cat really. Well... he's an old something, that's for sure.

Hang on, he'll be over here in a minute or two :)

J

I think we need something with a bit more gritty realism, a bit more dramatic oomph, a bit more true-life, down-to-earth, kick ass, northern soul.

I'm thinking "Consternation Street" here, or maybe, given the average age of the participants, "Where The Heart Was". "The Old and the Restful" may do it as well, or maybe, "Days of Our Lives (not very many, and counting down fast)"

J

Or perhaps 'Constipation Street',

'Feast Enders'

'Upstairs, Downstairs, Where the HELL is that bloody restaurant?'

'The Foredeck Saga'

Gari

Or perhaps 'Constipation Street',

'Feast Enders'

'Upstairs, Downstairs, Where the HELL is that bloody restaurant?'

'The Foredeck Saga'

Gari

I'd shied away from Constipation Street - way too close to the truth.

I like Foredeck Saga. You could even have the Foresk... no, perhaps not!

J

Still, you can always slurp it straight out of the bowl I suppose. I

J

That is exactly what two US passengers (who were with us just for the 5 day leg) did at our table in the Britannia Rest. :eek:

Garigoun,

I enjoyed reading your review. I also enjoy reading this thread. I am just wondering if you, The Real PM, Cruachan, Wheretonext???, Gav Boy, Rob6852, Pepperrn, Guernseyguy ever cruised together?

Happy Crusing

Marie

Marie, I fear Cunard would never be the same should this happen. Oyyyyy, the vision of this has given me a major case of the vapors! (It's a Southern thing.;))

B

That is exactly what two US passengers (who were with us just for the 5 day leg) did at our table in the Britannia Rest. :eek:

ROFLMAO,

that is soooooo cool! I just wish I'd been there to see that. :):)

J

Marie, I fear Cunard would never be the same should this happen. Oyyyyy, the vision of this has given me a major case of the vapors! (It's a Southern thing.;))

B

Now then our Bettie - sounds like you need to go and have a nice cup of tea and a lie down in a cool dark room. It's not real you know. Pop a couple of diazepam and you'll be over it before you know it.

J

Good thing you weren't. I'd be really pi**ed if you made fun of my relatives!:p

Oh Bettie, please!

Discretion is my watchword - my people watching skills are honed to the finest degree of perfection.

I wouldn't have given even the slightest hint that I'd noticed (after I'd been picked up off the deck!) :)

J

I'd shied away from Constipation Street - way too close to the truth.

Not to worry Jimmy I'd bring some Texas home grown Chilis that would relieve you of that problem, probably for the entire cruise!!

Marie, I fear Cunard would never be the same should this happen. Oyyyyy, the vision of this has given me a major case of the vapors! (It's a Southern thing.

At least it wasn't the flaming fantods, and it's probably a good thing I don't like soup.

But as regards Great Britain's finest, seated at the same table they'd most likely all get along like cats in a sack.:D

Gari,

thanks very much for an entertaining (as ever) review.

I dont think gari means the way you use your fork lol, no problems there, but I have to say the last crossing and the Norway cruise this year has seen a hugh drop in standards as cabins are being sold off for next to nothing

Rob,

do you mean that Cunard has lowered its standards because of the lack of income?

heywood

Not to worry Jimmy I'd bring some Texas home grown Chilis that would relieve you of that problem, probably for the entire cruise!!

Generous to a fault, as always, Gene. But I think I may pass (no pun intended) on your remedy. Isn't there a well known, and decidedly uncomfortable side effect? I'm thinking of the title of a well known Johnny Cash song here!

J

Generous to a fault, as always, Gene. But I think I may pass (no pun intended) on your remedy. Isn't there a well known, and decidedly uncomfortable side effect? I'm thinking of the title of a well known Johnny Cash song here! J

That's why we eat the ice cream Jimmy!:D Some in the Habanera family have been known to inspire claw marks on the porcelain however.

Rob,do you mean that Cunard has lowered its standards because of the lack of income? heywood

That would be interesting to know, as in spite of our economic downturn, the winter Caribbean cruises are selling out and they haven't dropped their prices from what I can see. We recently booked a 10 day on HAL, and surprisingly, it was less expensive than Princess for basically the same cruise. They have suspended the fuel surcharge, at least for the time being.

Hi, Gari,

Thanks very much for your delightful essay. I'll read it several times, no doubt.

Another word about dress. We were a little appalled with how a few people dressed. They caught one's eye because they weren't the norm. My friend is Russian, where people dress for respect: for themselves and their society. She kept asking why they allow these people to dress that way. Americans seem to dress for convenience and comfort. Well, I have news for them: It's easier to put on a pair of Zegna trousers than it is to put on a pair of jeans, and they feel and look orders of magnitude better. The same with a nice silk polo shirt vs. a soiled cotton T-shirt.

Don't mothers tell their children to take their lid off when they're indoors anymore? In the military, if one wears his cover into the bar, he buys the bar.

Best, George

1277530815_NwavingushometoNYEDIT.jpg.5775150ea5cb5cd67cae8594327b8f07.jpg

Sloppy dress , Barberians and the Waynes and Traceys of this world are indeed spoiling so many aspects of cruising which so many of us enjoy

We love to dress up and have the opportiunity to wear nice clothes

We like to eat in a decent restuarant with civilised table manners and use of cutlery

Sadley the cheaper cruises become especially in the final sell off at any price scene the USA cancel just before final payment situation causes ..............the more plebs there are getting onboard and the more those of us who care about standards retreat ...........OK if one can afford the likes of Seabourne etc but many cannot

Why cant the Barberians stick with the likes of Carnival and NCL and leave the rest of us to enjoy what little is left of the ambience of old style cruising

As an old time--and I DO mean old--Cunarder-- with MANY wonderful, elegant, cruises to remember, I, too, am saddened by the move away from formality. But--since there are SO many cruises out of New York--near to where we live, we have sailed NCL MANY times. We dress every night no matter WHAT, and the dress IS appalling among our fellow passengers--BUT--you will NEVER find any better, friendlier, more accommodating officers and crew anywhere at sea. Nor will you find a better penthouse short of the Royal Suites than the AB Penthouse, Courtyard Villa and Garden Villa (more than 5000 sq ft) suites on NCL. Nor better butlers and Concierge. Nor a better onboard restaurant than the French Le Bistro. (Our French sailing companion says they have the best escargot he has ever had). Truly. So--lower your standards and raise your glass and give it a try !!! (Remember Flanders and Swann?)

Archived