Flying with diabetic supplies

saltyswife

This will be the first time I've flown and cruised since being diagnosed. I have a very mild case and test only occasionally and control it with diet and metformin. I do want to take my meter, strips and lancets though. Will I be able to have these in my carryon?

In April, we flew from SFO to Florida and then back from Barcelona with a test kit included with medications. No problem. We included this with our carryon, would not want to risk losing them.

I've never had any problem with my supplies. I've flown all over the US from one airport to another at least every other week and not one agent questioned me or opened my case to see what I had.

Eileen

I have type 1 diabetes needing regular injections daily - we've travelled all over and find that the best thing to do is take 2 sets of everything, one in the carry-on and one in the checked luggage. That way, even if the check-in gets lost or the carry-on gets stolen, I've still got everything I need. Because I have to carry syringes, I also have a letter from my doctor stating that I need to carry them for medical reasons. Usually I mention it at check-in, and they always say 'tell the security people' - the security people have NEVER asked me yet why I'm carrying syringes! We also take a full set of everything if we're going far enough away from our home base not to be able to get back by evening - so for our cruise we'll be taking it on all excursions, just in case we miss the boat.:D

This will be the first time I've flown and cruised since being diagnosed. I have a very mild case and test only occasionally and control it with diet and metformin. I do want to take my meter, strips and lancets though. Will I be able to have these in my carryon?

I am a nurse for 5 Endocrine doctors and we give travel letters to our patients that are traveling and no one has ever had a problem. Ask your doctor for a travel letter to have to cya.

Jan

TSA has never given me a problem, except once when I forgot my carton of juice (which is not allowed on planes) in my kit. When we explained & they saw all the insulin & syringes they let it thru.

I always carry a honkin' big Glucagon injector for emergencies & they seem to take some time x-raying my kit.

Steve (Type I since 1958)

They are familiar with testers. They do have me take mine out of my carryon and put it in the container that men put their keys and change in.

DH has diabetes. We've been on many cruises and all over Europe and he takes his testing supplies and syringes etc - Never been stopped and if quest. he mentions the syringes and they just let us pass. He does have a note fr his dr too

Just remember not to throw the needles in the reg. trash in the hotel or ship. Hubby saves them and takes them home to dispose of.

Have a great trip

Just remember not to throw the needles in the reg. trash in the hotel or ship. Hubby saves them and takes them home to dispose of.

Have a great trip

I don't know about hotels in particular, but cruiselines will provide a red Sharps disposal box for your needles during your cruise. Much more convenient than taking them back home! ;)

I've never had an issue with my tester, supplies, insulin pen, insulin vial or syringes.

The only time anyone has even said anything was when I had to schedule a one-way flight at the last minute as I didn't know if I was flying home or on to somewhere else after I got through with my business atthe first destination. My ticket got the dreaded *S marking indicating I needed to be hand searched at every possible moment. In line to board I was pulled aside by a TSA agent to search my carry on. He saw my syringes, Insulin pen and meter and had an inquisitive look on his face. He said "How do you like that meter? I really don't like the one I use and I am thinking of getting a new one!"

They deal with this ALL the time and you will not have any problem!

My husband also has to carry medications. He puts all of his in the carry on. That way we know they will arrive and not be lost in luggage.

We have a list of everything we have.

Some of his are actually not allowed in the amounts we have to carry on according to the TSA. But, if they are in the original boxes and or the prescription boxes, they are passed through.

The screener pulls us over and takes the medications out each time and looks them over.

We have done this for years and never had a problem. Just a little bump in the road each time. :)

Archived