tips for chief housekeeper?

raysue

please help me out here guys, we have been on several cruises, but none on Celebrity. we are booked for this next Sept. on the celebraity site they say thaat in addition to the people one would ussually tip, we shoud tip the "chief housekeeper". who dat??? what does he/she do? will we even see this person before they show up at our door expectiong a little envelope?

I am not, at all reluctant to tip well for good service... I know these folks do not make very much money and dependent on our tips.... just a little confused about who the chief housekeeper is and what they will be doing for us.

any help/information would be wonderful!

thanks,

sue

The Chief Housekeeper is the supervisor of your steward and has been discussed many times on this board. Many people have said they don't ever see this guy but he works behind the scenes often. I have been lucky and actually met the CH on some of my cruises. He will take care of any problems that can't be handled by your steward and apparently they will assist you with any problems with your safe which may occur.

The tipping is what has been a controversy for many years as Celebrity may be the only cruiseline that gives a tip envelope for this individual. The only thing I can tell you is that it is pretty common knowledge on these boards that if you don't tip him, he will take the tip from the steward which many feel is unfair. I feel this is unfair but have tipped anyway.

Hope this helps.

Don

You never see the chief housekeeper, you see his assistants, the Assistant Chief Housekeepers.

It is most worthwhile to tip them since they do a lot of behind the scene stuff. If you have any special requirements mention it to them and it will be done, ie, filled large ice containers, nicer duvet covering, new pillows, safe lockout (forgot combination). If you are nice to them you may even get a few bottles of champagne delivered to your cabin courtesy of the Asst Housekeeper....

I always tip them and have no regrets. Again, they may be in the background but they are the backbone of the housekeeping functions.

idssms

I normally never see either the Chief Housekeeper nor the assistants, and I refuse on principle to tip anyone I don't see.

To be honest, tipping the (assistant) Maitre D'Hotel is pretty iffy, IMAO, but I do tip those folks (well, except on Galaxy Alaska, when we didn't see the dude untill day 8 of the cruise)

As far as I'm concerned, the current tipping system is just a way for the lines to oflload their personnel costs.

Happy cruising!

cruise last month, however, I would have greatly appreciated knowing who he/her was and being asked if I was satisfied with steward, etc., as I did have some issues. Btw, I was in CC class and very disappointed with the lack of service. My cruisemates who were on different decks received much better service. I would be hesitant to book CC again. And, yes, I did express that on my comment card.

Marie

Our steward did a great job as did his assistant... and got full tip...

but no see no pay....

Our cabin had a major smoker previous cruise and head honcho did not solve the smoking odour that lingered for the entire 15 days.... This was the only complaint we had ... there was no air cleaner available to remove the stench....

I have met and become friends with an Asst. Chief Housekeeper. As previously stated, they are responsible for alot of the behind the scenes operations. I do not think it is fair to penalize this person due to the way the corporate office has structured their pay.

not sure if this is a cruising urban legend or perhaps even cruise-director humor but my husband insists that in the disembarkation talk for our Millennium cruise last week (watched on tape), the CD said the assistant chief housekeeper is the one who puts the chocolates on the pillows while going in to inspect the stewards' turndown work. If it's not true, it's a pretty good cover story! -- TR

Thanks people! I am relativle new to these boards and had not seen it discussed before. I appriciate the quick response. I am very willing to tip the person who gives me my pillow chocolate (if it is a GOOD chocolate) LOL. I now have a clearer idea of who this person is and will probably tip, as required (although I seem to remember soomeone posting that they once put a large dust bunny in the asst. chief housekeepers tip envelope because the cabin was filthy) I don't think I have quite that much nerve... Thanks for the info.

Sue

IIRC, it's the ASSISTANT chief housekeeper who is listed on the tip sheet, not the REAL chief. He came by our cabin the next-to-last night of our cruise to introduce himself (clever timing, eh?), and took our picture on the verandah with the table set for dinner. Nice guy, but we never saw him otherwise, and his timing was just a little too obvious. We gave him the Celebrity-recommended tip, which is a rather small amount.

FYI:

Since I am going to give the Asst Chief a tip at the end of the cruise, I always ask the steward to bring him by on the first day and introduce himself. I know he is behind the scenes and makes a difference. On the last night I call him over and tip him.

idssms

Head Housekeeper?? Who's that, never seen 'em!! Never tipped 'em, either.

1. There are a lot of other people behind the scenes doing good work, and they don't get tipped. Let's say all of the Chinese laundry people who do such a nice job on table linens, my dress shirt, etc.

2. However, knowing that the Head Housekeeper will take some away from my Room Steward/Stewardess if I don't tip him personally, I give some extra cash to them to make up for it. Principle I guess.....!!

Archived