Help! NHT refund request declined

mringenoldus

My TA has written that Princess told her that it is too late for me to ask for a refund on the NHT in Denali.

I wanted to take the shuttle to Tolkat instead. The NHT excursion was part of a package deal on our cruisetour.

Has anyone successfully challenged Princess to obtain the refund?

Thanks!

Hi, Lynn

We are in Denali on July 27. I'm pretty sure we can upgrade to TWT - but the park ranger I have been emailing also felt that the shuttle to Tolkat would be closer to what we want and quite a bit less expensive.

We could just give up the NHT tour and book the park shuttle - but others reported getting back their fee.

Thanks!

A significant factor you need to consider is your transportation. The shuttle buses do NOT load at the Princess lodge. You have to book shuttle buses within the Princess lodge shuttle schedule, that goes to the Access Center. VERIFY this, before you book any shuttle bus, unless you are willing to walk 2 miles. There are NO taxis. You HAVE to bring in all your own food and drink there is a very limited selection at the Access Center. You need to be at the Access Center ahead of time, at least 30 mins. and if you want a certain bus seat, then an hour.

IF you are short on time, don't expect to get walk up space on a shuttle bus. Some will be long sold out. Do your homework, get the time information on the lodge shuttles, and reserve a park shuttle bus ahead.

IF you are short on time, don't expect to get walk up space on a shuttle bus. Some will be long sold out.

True - don't expect it. But all reports this year have been that most buses, except those very early in the morning, depart much less than full.

True - don't expect it. But all reports this year have been that most buses, except those very early in the morning, depart much less than full.

For clairfication, these shuttle buses don't run "full". There are always build in nonselling empty seats. Unlike the tour buses which frequently sell every seat.

Most of these posters have only one day for a shuttle bus into the park. It isn't too hard to figure out "when" you are going. It is a significant benefit, in this case to book ahead.

My TA has written that Princess told her that it is too late for me to ask for a refund on the NHT in Denali.

I wanted to take the shuttle to Tolkat instead. The NHT excursion was part of a package deal on our cruisetour.

Thanks!

Well, you know, you booked a package tour with certain things included in the price. Perhaps not everybody will enjoy everything that is included, but all should enjoy the overall tour.

If you choose not to take advantage of what is included, why do you think you are due a refund? If you order a steak platter that includes a baked potato, do you think you should get a refund if you don't eat the potato?

On exactly what legal grounds do you think you can "challenge" Princess on this one? You were fully informed of what you were paying for in advance.

A few people on this board frequently repeat their disdain for the NHT. Thousands of Princess customers are satisfied with it. That's why it is part of the package.

You are taking a cruise tour that costs thousands of dollars, I don't see why you want to get all upset over $60. Relax and enjoy a wonderful experience. Do what you want to do and don't fret a few bucks if you don't want to do something that is included.

Have a GREAT cruise!

For clairfication (sic), these shuttle buses don't run "full". There are always build in nonselling empty seats. Unlike the tour buses which frequently sell every seat.

For clarification, I meant more than the typical four empty seats that all shuttle buses depart with.

For clarification, I meant more than the typical four empty seats that all shuttle buses depart with.

In 2008 our Wonder Lake Shuttle driver told us the other shuttle routes were running as low as 6 passengers. We were full on the Wonder Lake Shuttle, but the slow down in the economy was already evident last year. We were able to change our shuttle time very easily. We checked the day before our tour and nothing was full yet for the following day. However, I would never suggest you not get a reservation ahead of time. Anything you really want to do, should be booked well ahead of time.

In 2008 our Wonder Lake Shuttle driver told us the other shuttle routes were running as low as 6 passengers. We were full on the Wonder Lake Shuttle, but the slow down in the economy was already evident last year. We were able to change our shuttle time very easily. We checked the day before our tour and nothing was full yet for the following day. However, I would never suggest you not get a reservation ahead of time. Anything you really want to do, should be booked well ahead of time.

True - exactly what I said and meant in Post #8 above :)

And tourism at Denali is way down this year compared with 2008. Every shuttle bus for the current day, even the ones leaving next, had seats to sell, when I was there last month.

Well, you know, you booked a package tour with certain things included in the price. Perhaps not everybody will enjoy everything that is included, but all should enjoy the overall tour.

If you choose not to take advantage of what is included, why do you think you are due a refund? If you order a steak platter that includes a baked potato, do you think you should get a refund if you don't eat the potato?

On exactly what legal grounds do you think you can "challenge" Princess on this one? You were fully informed of what you were paying for in advance.

A few people on this board frequently repeat their disdain for the NHT. Thousands of Princess customers are satisfied with it. That's why it is part of the package.

You are taking a cruise tour that costs thousands of dollars, I don't see why you want to get all upset over $60. Relax and enjoy a wonderful experience. Do what you want to do and don't fret a few bucks if you don't want to do something that is included.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Yes, thousands of Princess customers are satisfied with the DNHT because they don't know what they're missing and Princess deliberately doesn't inform them. They save millions of dollars a year because they sell the DNHT instead of the TWT to their passengers. The people who are satisfied are totally ignorant of what they are missing. Even many drivers in Denali don't like to do the DNHT because they know these people are getting ripped off.

The main reason to do a land tour is to go to Denali. Granted, some people could care less about seeing animals, but then why do the cruisetour? You spend all your time focused around getting to Denali and then you leave....

Thanks!

Have you tried calling Princess yourself? That way you can ask all your questions and eliminate the middle man (and save time/frustration)

Hi, Lynn

We are in Denali on July 27. I'm pretty sure we can upgrade to TWT - but the park ranger I have been emailing also felt that the shuttle to Tolkat would be closer to what we want and quite a bit less expensive.

We could just give up the NHT tour and book the park shuttle - but others reported getting back their fee.

Thanks!

Hope things work out for you! We leave home on the 27th and will be in Denali 4 days after you. I hope the fires are out by then. Fairbanks had a smoke advisory today.:(

"SNAP!":D:cool:

I started to get a bit concerned after reading all the negative talk about the NHT excursion. But then I did realize that it can't be all that bad if Princess continues to offer it. Its all built into the cost, so might as well enjoy it. If it turns out to be THAT bad, next trip we'll choose something different.

FYI - the NHT is a tour that goes 16 miles into the park. I drive my car, ride my motorcyle, etc. along with hundreds of other private vehicles 15 miles into the park anytime I want to. The FREE shuttle bus goes the same distance into the park! The free shuttle will also let you off at Savage River cabin to get the spiel from the interpreter there.

The tour goes about a mile further to the top of a ridge where you get a lecture on Alaska Natives. The road gets a lot of traffic and animals are scarce.

The difference between the tour and the free shuttle is that you go one mile further and you get a narration. The DNHT is the entry level tour for drivers. They start out driving hotel shuttles and graduate to the DNHT. When they get enough seniority and experience they can switch to the TWT or a shuttle into the park.

As I stated before, the DNHT is fine for people who don't know any better. But to miss Polychrome Pass with its beautiful colors or Igloo Creek or the view of the mountain from Fish Creek, or the rugged peaks just beyond Toklat - it's inconceivable to me....It's like going to the Vatican and not seeing the Sistine Chapel or to the Louvre and not seeing the Mona Lisa.

mercedmike

I felt you may have been a bit harsh. I was not overly concerned about the additional cost of adding the TWT. I am not really interested in the TWT. My goal was to be able to disembark the shuttle and hike a little at different stops.

Since excursions are typically able to be cancelled 48 hours prior to the date, I simply asked if I could have the cost credited to my shipboard account, as others have done. Then my plan was to book the shuttle. We are two teachers - money matters. My only question was whether anyone had experience with "challenging" the response given to my TA.

diathoney

I did consider calling Princess direct - but thought it was correct to have the TA contact them first. I think I will call to be sure as I know cruise reps seem to give a variety of responses to cruise questions. Thanks!

budget queen

Thanks for the advice about the shuttle transportation issues!

"SNAP!":D:cool:

I started to get a bit concerned after reading all the negative talk about the NHT excursion. But then I did realize that it can't be all that bad if Princess continues to offer it. Its all built into the cost, so might as well enjoy it. If it turns out to be THAT bad, next trip we'll choose something different.

If it makes you feel any better, we met a lot of people on the ship who had done the NHT and enjoyed it very much (we did the TWT and also enjoyed it very much). Most people who had done the NHT were very well aware of the other types of tours and not at all upset about having done the NHT. They greatly enjoyed the information on the native cultures and many raved about this one man who had done that part of the tour and how much they enjoyed his presentation.

We had anytime dining on the ship, and ate at tables for 8 with new people every night, so the first topic of conversation was always "did you do a land tour?" and I think I heard opinions about all the different tours Princess offers :o. Since every tour goes to Denali, everyone has an opinion about that area. Only one couple we met who had done the NHT were disappointed and wished they had been able to do the TWT instead. Most everyone else said they would not have wanted to be on a bus on an unpaved road for that long. Personally, I don't mind bus rides at all, so I don't really get this attitude, but I sure heard it from a lot of people.

Most of the NHT guests had seen moose and eagles, all saw hares. We really wanted to see more wildlife, so the TWT was by far the best option for us.

For someone who's been to Alaska twice, but never been on the land tour:

What is an NHT or TWT? I see ya'll keep mentioning this for Princess cruises. My husband and I are on RCL and doing the land tour in August. I'm land-tour illiterate!

For someone who's been to Alaska twice, but never been on the land tour:

What is an NHT or TWT? I see ya'll keep mentioning this for Princess cruises. My husband and I are on RCL and doing the land tour in August. I'm land-tour illiterate!

NHT = Natural History Tour (Goes 17 miles into the park, just two miles further than you can drive with a car or take the free park shuttle. It includes narration and a movie you can see even if you are not part of the tour.)

http://www.reservedenali.com/tours/index.cfm#dnht

TWT = Tundra Wilderness Tour (Goes about 54 miles into the park, with more opportunities to see wildlife and the vastness of Denali National Park.) Denali was not my favorite National Park by any means, however it is an unforgettable experience viewing the wilderness of Denali.

http://www.reservedenali.com/tours/index.cfm#twt

Many do not recommend the NHT because it does not get you very far into the park, therefore, limiting your opportunities to see wildlife. One poster (Budget Queen) often states it is like going to Disneyworld and not going farther than the parking lot.) I can't say I agree with that, but I must say if you are going all the way to Alaska and get as far as Denali, it is a shame not to go further into the park. I took the Wonder Lake shuttle which goes 85 miles into the park. It is quite an amazing journey.

I am one of the people that did enjoy the NHT. It was included in a landtour and had budegeted that price into my vacation dollars. We also booked our own shuttle to Eileson to have a better chance at seeing wildlife. I would not have done it any other way. As it happened we saw bears, moose, eagles and hares on the NHT. We did the NHT the afternoon that we got there and then the next day rode the shuttle to Eileson. We did have to walk from the Princess Lodge as we did an early shuttle not a bad walk if no mobility issues. Shuttle drivers do not have to give a narrative but we had a wonderful shuttle driver and he was excellent at spotting wildlife.

mksmcada

Thanks for the info! It's unfortunate that we only have the one day.

I spoke directly to Princess myself last night. They said that they would be able to post the credit for the NHT - but that my TA would need to be the one to call for it (totally undersatndable).

The rep posted a note on my account confirming this for when she calls in. I could actually hear him typing the note in - so I'm pretty conficent about that part.

I emailed the TA so we sill see what happens today. As soon as I get a confirmation from her, I will make shuttle reservations online with NPS.

We'll pack a small soft sided cooler, as suggested, and take the 3:00 shuttle because I don't believe we will be on time for the noon trip.

Archived