The upgrade fairy cometh...

BellsRUs

I am just soooo excited! We booked a balcony guarantee on the Emerald Princess for January. We were just assigned a BA cabin on the Caribe deck! That is our favorite deck because of the larger balconies. :D

Now that our cabin is assigned, they won't take it away from us, will they??

I am just soooo excited! We booked a balcony guarantee on the Emerald Princess for January. We were just assigned a BA cabin on the Caribe deck! That is our favorite deck because of the larger balconies. :D

Now that our cabin is assigned, they won't take it away from us, will they??

Congrats on receiving an assignment exactly what you were hoping for. Now, if you want to make sure this doesn't change, contact Princess or your TA and tell them to mark you booking accordingly. There is still a slim chance they may upgrade you again, and if you aren't interested, have your booking marked as no upgrade.

Thanks for the tip, Toto! They won't change it so that we would end up in a BG or BF cabin, would they?

Nope, you can only go UP. So, if you want to chance it that you may get a second upgrade to a mini suite, don't have it marked. It doesn't happen often where they would upgrade you again, but it CAN happen. So, this is totally up to you. Enjoy!

I'm in this same exact situation (upgraded to a BA on Caribe on the Emerald) and was wondering the same thing about the room assignment changing. I guess if the only way to go is up, the next step would be a mini suite. Don't the mini suites have the bigger balconies too? Are they partially covered like the balcony rooms on Caribe deck? If not, I will definitely have them mark it so we don't get moved. I'm more concerned about the size of the balcony and the partial coverage than the actual room.

I'm so excited - I never expected such an awesome upgrade! :D

I'm in this same exact situation (upgraded to a BA on Caribe on the Emerald) and was wondering the same thing about the room assignment changing. I guess if the only way to go is up, the next step would be a mini suite. Don't the mini suites have the bigger balconies too? Are they partially covered like the balcony rooms on Caribe deck? If not, I will definitely have them mark it so we don't get moved. I'm more concerned about the size of the balcony and the partial coverage than the actual room.

I'm so excited - I never expected such an awesome upgrade! :D

The minis on the larger ships have a 9' X 7' balcony (except for two at the very back of Emerald Deck that have an extended balcony, but these usually book out long in advance). The only minis with totally covered balconys (none are only partial) are on Emerald Deck category AD. The chance of getting one of these is slim to none since there are only 12 of them on the entire ship. ALL of the rest have totally exposed balconys so you might want to have your booking marked no upgrade. If another upgrade should take place (slim chance but there is a tiny chance), it most likely would be to a mini that has a totally exposed balcony with absolutely no cover. Good Luck!

The minis on the larger ships have a 9' X 7' balcony (except for two at the very back of Emerald Deck that have an extended balcony, but these usually book out long in advance). The only minis with totally covered balconys (none are only partial) are on Emerald Deck category AD. The chance of getting one of these is slim to none since there are only 12 of them on the entire ship. ALL of the rest have totally exposed balconys so you might want to have your booking marked no upgrade. If another upgrade should take place (slim chance but there is a tiny chance), it most likely would be to a mini that has a totally exposed balcony with absolutely no cover. Good Luck!

Thanks SO much for the info! I'm going to give them a call to mark it "no upgrade." I'm really happy with the assignment we have, and although I wouldn't mind having a totally open balcony, DH is sensitive to the sun and I know he wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Does anyone know if only "guarantee" categories get upgraded? Also, do you have to be on some kind of a waiting list for that, or is it randomly, meaning anyone with assigned cabin have a chance to be upgraded? What kind of logic does Princess use to make these upgrades? Some people commented that they have never been upgraded in their many years of cruising. We are booked on Emerald at Aloha deck, balcony, good mid ship location, but I was just wondering if there is a chance to be upgraded for a mini suite. Appreciate your input. Helen.

Does anyone know if only "guarantee" categories get upgraded? Also, do you have to be on some kind of a waiting list for that, or is it randomly, meaning anyone with assigned cabin have a chance to be upgraded? What kind of logic does Princess use to make these upgrades? Some people commented that they have never been upgraded in their many years of cruising. We are booked on Emerald at Aloha deck, balcony, good mid ship location, but I was just wondering if there is a chance to be upgraded for a mini suite. Appreciate your input. Helen.

When your booking is made, you have a choice of either leaving yourself open for an upgrade should one become available, or declining that option. The default is 'will accept an upgrade'. Usually I would guess 90-95% 'plus' of the ship also checks this option hoping to be upgraded.

You do not have to be in a guarantee to actually receive an upgrade.

The only logic Princess uses to determine who gets an upgrade or not is that there is no actual logic to it. It is the luck of the computer draw which they will not explain and none of us know for sure, we all just guess. ;)

For us personally, we have only ever received ONE real upgrade (to a higher type of stateroom), and that was on our very first Princess cruise. After 22 Princess cruises, booking both far in advance and at the last minute, we have to date never received another one.

This site might also explain a little more about complimentary upgrades: https://book.princess.com/html/tapres/auto_upgrade_content.html

We took a BA balcony guarantee and got assigned a Carib deck balcony a little past midship [no bump out ]. It took me a few days to decide if I wanted to take the chance of an upgrade to a mini suite or stay with a great location on a great deck. I was a little afraid that even if we got a mini suite it would be in a less desirable location. So, I called my TA and had her mark us as no upgrade.

I gotta tell you, I still wonder what might have been, especially since the Ba's are waitlisted.

We simply got our cabin number when we got our boarding passes. Nobody ever gave us any opportunity to be upgraded further. We picked balcony guaranteed when we were making reservations through princess dot com

We simply got our cabin number when we got our boarding passes. Nobody ever gave us any opportunity to be upgraded further. We picked balcony guaranteed when we were making reservations through princess dot com

You don't actually get the 'opportunity' to be upgraded any further. It either happens or it doesn't, almost like magic. When you book a guarantee, you get whatever they give you in the actual category you booked (or higher, never lower).

I guess fairy wasn't too generous with us we got an upgraded cabin but not too much and all the way on a front (whatever the proper name is) of the ship.

Also take into consideration if the cruise you will be sailing on is almost fully booked. The fuller the ship, the less likelyhood of getting a good upgrade for all but a few that got lucky. ;) Enjoy!

I think upgrades are pretty random as stated. In December, I was booked in cabin A749 balcony on the Sapphire. I had marked my booking no upgrade because I love the aft balcony cabins. I received a call from Princess 3 days before my cruise asking if I would like an upgrade to a mini-suite. I took it as wanted to experience a mini. I loved it - exposed balcony and all. The ship was sailing full so I'm not sure what happened in those last fews days but boy was I happy they called

So, now I'm in a quandry as to whether or not to have the booking marked as 'no upgrade'. DH is the one who doesn't like the sun and we both like the larger Caribe balconies, but he said last night that he would be fine with a balcony that was not covered.

Since we are already assigned to the highest balcony category, the next step would be a mini-suite. We've never stayed in one - what are the advantages to a mini-suite? I assume they are larger - what else?

So, now I'm in a quandry as to whether or not to have the booking marked as 'no upgrade'. DH is the one who doesn't like the sun and we both like the larger Caribe balconies, but he said last night that he would be fine with a balcony that was not covered.

Since we are already assigned to the highest balcony category, the next step would be a mini-suite. We've never stayed in one - what are the advantages to a mini-suite? I assume they are larger - what else?

There are no real perks associated with a mini suite, besides a glass of champagne at boarding and the larger stateroom, to tell the truth. But, there is a nice sitting area with couch, tables, chairs, two televisions and a larger bathroom with tub/shower combination.

The chances of being upgraded to a mini are slim, but you never know, give it a try, you may get lucky!

Archived