Who are the best people you ever met on a cruise?

suse

We had so many laughs with a great couple from Saratoga on our trip last year to Canada. We met them at the upper bar before dinner and ended up having a blast with them. We're still in touch and trying to plan another cruise! What fun!:) How about you?

Good thread topic:)

I met Lisa LaffnVegas and her husband Pedro, er, I mean Tom;), when I was cruising solo for the first time two years ago. They invited me to join them at their fixed seating table for dinner each evening, we met regularly for drinks and socializing, Lisa and I enjoyed some great "gabbing" in the thermal suite, and we even went on a shore excursion together. They never made me feel like a third wheel; in fact they said we were like the Three Musketeers:). It was a great cruise! Tom and Lisa, you are a class act.

We met 2 couples. Don & Isabel and Tim & Sharon. Isabel and Sharon were sisters.

We met them on the Ryndam in 1997 - our first HAL cruise celebrating our 25th anniversary. They were our table mates and we had such fun.

We have never forgotten them although we lost contact a while back.

If they were to see this post I would love them to contact us.

On our very first cruise, we met us! :D

After raising 3 kids & putting them through parochial school & college, finally paying off our house, and generally dealing with 47 times our weight in excess reality for all of our (mostly vacationless) adult lives, DH & I got to really "meet" each other again on our very first cruise.

Now we set aside at least 2 weeks a year to get reacquainted .:)

There was one memorable couple at my table on my first cruise. They were on their third cruise, on the same itinerary, in three months. I found them charming, interesting people. And they were part of an otherwise wonderful cruise. They had a part in my falling for cruising as a participation sport. ;)

Since then I have met several folks from Cruise Critic who have become dear, dear friends. I won't mention board names, in fear of leaving someone out. But I'll say I can no longer imagine my life without them in it.

After raising 3 kids & putting them through parochial school & college, finally paying off our house, and generally dealing with 47 times our weight in excess reality for all of our (mostly vacationless) adult lives, DH & I got to really "meet" each other again on our very first cruise.

Now we set aside at least 2 weeks a year to get reacquaintout ed .:)

Well said Usha... cruising is definetly good for one's marriage :)

That is easy .. on our fourth cruise we met a family from Australia that we shared a table with for a 14 day cruise. DW has kept up with them over the years since and we plan to see them when we finally make it down under. We send each other updates on family affairs and how things are going.

harry

Now we set aside at least 2 weeks a year to get reacquainted .:)

This post has got to take First Prize:cool:. I am so happy for both of you and hope that you have many, many more cruises (and reacquaintings) in your future.

Fair winds and following seas!

Valerie:)

To be perfectly honest with you I have met so many wonderful people on my cruises that I wouldn't even know where to begin naming them. I have met a few duds but the overwhelming majority have been terrific people with whom I have kept in touch over lo these many years - and, honestly they couldn't be more different: they come from different countries, different cultures, different religions, but they are all sensational people whom I am honored to consider friends.

Valerie

One of our all-time favorites was Chris, the bartender on the Oosterdam who we met on our first Alaskan cruise in 2006. We still keep in touch quite often via email, he sends us photos and shares stories of his sailings, his hopes, his dreams (to be a member of the US Navy - you go, Chris!) and of his wonderful family in the Phillipines. We hope to catch up with him on our next AK cruise on May 31st of 2010 - IF the Navy doesn't steal him away from HAL first!!! LOL!

What a great question for you to ask at this particular moment!!!

On our very first cruise we met a couple from Vancouver BC through our Cruise Critic Roll Call. Hit it off as if we'd known each other forever.

In Nov '07 we all cruised the Western Caribbean together and had a blast. They were to go on our last cruise with us but couldn't due to work conflicts - so they are here visiting now!

They had never been to MN before and flew in last Saturday. After hitting some of the highlights of the Twin Cities, we are now at a lake house on Lake Superior about an hour north of Duluth. Today we drove up to Thunder Bay to have lunch with some of the woman's family that she hasn't seen in a long time. Just having a great time together!! It will be so hard to watch them board the plane next Saturday to head back to Vancouver.

In addition, we have met lots of other couples and singles on our cruises that we keep in contact with and hope to sail with again.

met 2 couples through this board in preparation for our Baltic cruise 2 years ago, one couple we arranged private 3 day tour in St. Petersburg, the other couple we arranged shared transportation from London to the pier.

The couple we shared our Russian tour live 20 minutes from my cousins. We got to meet them before we cruised and have visited them every thanksgiving when we visit family.

The other couple happened to be on the cruise following ours this past fall (same cruise line, slightly different itinerary)....we disembarked in Civitavecchia and headed over to their hotel - and we had a great reunion for a couple hours (and throw in a few cappucchinos/espressos!) before they had to head off to the ship and we headed off on our post-cruise land trip (we also gave them some heads up about the ship, waiters, specialty restaurants, etc)....

The 6 of us have been trying to get together for another cruise, but we all have different times off and destinations in mind....

We have made numerous other friends through CC and cruising, but these 2 couples are really special to us!

The summer on the Statendam we met Bitta (head chef for the Lido) and Thony (also a chef in the Lido). Bitta got off when we did and planned to go home to his family for a couple of months and also attend some cooking classes. We enjoyed visiting with these two men!

There are many really great folks we've met through CC and cruising. Of course, my dearest and closest friend and I met through CC. We try to plan at least one cruise together each year. I am grateful to CC for many reasons but meeting my friend is the best one.

We have met several interesting couples on our cruises over the years (and as others have pointed out - a few duds). We have cruised 2X with a couple from Albuquerque but cannot join them this fall due to other commitments.:( We also keep in email contact with a couple from Ohio that we met in 2003 and another couple from Jax, Fla whom we met in 2001 on a river cruise in France (yes, we were in the middle of the cruise on Sept. 11 - and that is a long story). We've emailed others a few times and then have lost contact.

That's easy. For us it was Sheila and Fred Heap, Innkeeper. We met on the roll call a few years ago. Hit it off on our cruise and then cruised together a second time. We would have cruised a third time but had to cancel the cruise. All were on the Noordam. We're scheduled to sail with them to Bermuda in 2010.

We, too, have met many really great people on our cruises. But the ones who come to mind are Chet & Pat from Hilton Head.

We cruised to Alaska in 2006 and there were just four couples who'd selected the same cruisetour ... we met in Vancouver the first day and toured, then sailed together. We and Chet & Pat clicked instantly, then found out we live 20 miles apart! We joke that it took being 3000 miles away to meet neighbors ... lol.

We've cruised together twice since then and have our third cruise planned for May 2010.

Well I've met Valerie....and she's a pretty good candidate as one of the best I ever met. I did meet Elton John on a QE2 TA once' date=' but he hadn't been knighted yet, so Valerie it is.

Bob[/quote']

Bob: That is so sweet, thank you. I have to say that you and Rosemary are two of my favorite people also and I am looking forward to seeing you both aboard the Amsterdam in September. Don't forget to save me a seat at Trivia;), and when you are in Seattle please say "Hi" to Shannon for me.

To be perfectly honest with you I have met so many wonderful people on my cruises that I wouldn't even know where to begin naming them. I have met a few duds but the overwhelming majority have been terrific people with whom I have kept in touch over lo these many years - and, honestly they couldn't be more different: they come from different countries, different cultures, different religions, but they are all sensational people whom I am honored to consider friends.

Valerie

Hi Valerie,

When we read this thread we automatically thought of YOU and all the fun we had on the msSTATENDAM earlier this year!!!! Trivia was a blast (how about "Larry"?). Hopefully, we will meet up again with you on another "DAM" ship.

In the meantime, we enjoy reading your all your comments on Cruise Critic and wish you a fantastic time on your upcoming trip on the msAMSTERDAM in September.

Also we met our dear friends "The Shapiro's" on 3 cruises on the msNOORDAM. In fact, they were over to our home this weekend for dinner and all we talked about were our cruises (past and present). Their visit went so quickly. Hopefully, we will go on another cruise with them and resurrect our trivia team with them!

Hi Valerie,

When we read this thread we automatically thought of YOU and all the fun we had on the msSTATENDAM earlier this year!!!! Trivia was a blast (how about "Larry"?). Hopefully, we will meet up again with you on another "DAM" ship.

In the meantime, we enjoy reading your all your comments on Cruise Critic and wish you a fantastic time on your upcoming trip on the msAMSTERDAM in September.

Also we met our dear friends "The Shapiro's" on 3 cruises on the msNOORDAM. In fact, they were over to our home this weekend for dinner and all we talked about were our cruises (past and present). Their visit went so quickly. Hopefully, we will go on another cruise with them and resurrect our trivia team with them!

Hi Barbara and Dan:

I certainly should have mentioned you two by name also. Trivia was indeed an absolute blast, as it was on the Amsterdam last year with Bob and Rosemary (Rozo's Beau) and I think about all of you so often and so fondly.

"Larry - and his wife" - I swear I still don't know where that came from but I did have fun with it and they were my neighbors onboard ship (Al and Irene were anyway;):D). And how about Cheryl and Judy - Judy who won the final Trivia game for us with her brilliance, and Cheryl who has become my "sister".

We absolutely do have to arrange another cruise together, with Cheryl and John also - that would be a dream cruise for me.

Hope all is well with you. Things are fine here and I am so looking forward to my cruise aboard the Amsterdam in September.

Miss you,

Archived