Royal Caribbean HOUSE PARTY - I was chosen as a host!!!

The one thing I still don't like is the "hard sell" tactic....I don't need/want a TA bullying my guests LOL. Does he/she have to be a part of our party?

~Connie

I was worried about the same thing. When my rep contacted me via email, I told her thanks, but my guests are already experienced cruisers, so I wasn't going to waste her time by making her come to the party. ;)

Not her or even a she or an employee. Just find it strange why people are surprised, since it seems so obvious that this is a business venture and also seems to be a win-win for all involved. Did the Cannon and Dominos party goers not think the sponsors wanted guests to buy cannon products or Dominos pizzas?

Not her or even a she or an employee. Just find it strange why people are surprised, since it seems so obvious that this is a business venture and also seems to be a win-win for all involved. Did the Cannon and Dominos party goers not think the sponsors wanted guests to buy cannon products or Dominos pizzas?

There is a huge difference, and obviously you do not know how houseparty.com is SUPPOSED to work for you to ask that question. The idea is to expose your guests to the product, yes, but the sponsor GIVES YOU THE PRODUCT. Example, the Dominos party idea was for you to have your guests over to try their new product, so they gave each host a $75 gift card to pay for that pizza product. Their hope was that the guests like what they saw/tasted, and then go buy that product. For the Margaritaville party the host was given the Margaritaville blender and all the accessories to use while making drinks for their guests, and the guests were given a huge discount if they want to buy the blender after seeing it at the party.

NO hard sell to the guests is ever involved, or ot least never was until this joke of party. The host is given all the items they need from the sponsor to show off the product in question...the only thing the hosts needs to do is pay for the food/drink/whatever they want to give their guests. This party provided NOTHING from the sposor for the host to use to put together the party or showcase RCCL. Only after the ruckus created did they say they will send out some logo merchandise, which has not even arrived yet and the parties are on Sat. Who knows if they are even sending out enough things to give each guest, bwecause the way it was worded it sounds like there will be 1 of each item they are sending out. They are not offering any real incentive for the guests to book their cruise, nor any real incentive for the hosts to go to the effort and expense involved in having a party. The idea was to show your guests how great an RCCL cruise is, but the sponsor is not providing anything for the hosts to do that effectively.

>>>The idea is to expose your guests to the product, yes, but the sponsor GIVES YOU THE PRODUCT. Example, the Dominos party idea was for you to have your guests over to try their new product, so they gave each host a $75 gift card to pay for that pizza product.<<<

So...Royal Caribbean should plop one of their 138,000 ton ships in the yard of each of the 1000 house parties? How else do you propose the guests to GET THE PRODUCT? They are providing a DVD and brochures, which seems appropriate when the product is a travel experience and not a physical product.

>>Their hope was that the guests like what they saw/tasted, and then go buy that product.>>

seems to be the same thing here

>>>guests were given a huge discount if they want to buy the blender after seeing it at the party. >>>

Is the same thing here

>>>NO hard sell to the guests is ever involved, or ot least never was until this joke of party. The host is given all the items they need from the sponsor to show off the product in question...the only thing the hosts needs to do is pay for the food/drink/whatever they want to give their guests.>>>

I believe the literature states that a representative may be able to attend if requested and depending upon geographic considerations. Otherwise, the offers are forwarded to the host if they want to promote them. I'm not sure that is "hard" sell.

>>>This party provided NOTHING from the sposor for the host to use to put together the party or showcase RCCL. Only after the ruckus created did they say they will send out some logo merchandise, which has not even arrived yet and the parties are on Sat.>>

I guess our definitions of "nothing" are different, since I see they are giving hosts: event apron, Royal Caribbean napkins, DVD: Highlights of Royal Caribbean experience, Karoke music track, starfish, hibiscus flowers, leis, umbrella straws, balloons, karoke sign, guest coupon booklet gifts, self-addressed envelope, Royal Brochures, Cruise Planners/American Express brochures, Royal Caribbean baseball cap, tote bag, magnets, window clings, Why not Herald, Cruise Planners beach mat, Travel clock/calculator, waterproof case, caribbean apeteizer recipe, Royal Caribbean cocktail recipe, Royal Caribbean fact sheets, registration forms, Host checklist, Who Am I? game, cruise lingo game, mp3 keroke download, karoke lyrics, welcome sign.

>>> They are not offering any real incentive for the guests to book their cruise, nor any real incentive for the hosts to go to the effort and expense involved in having a party. The idea was to show your guests how great an RCCL cruise is, but the sponsor is not providing anything for the hosts to do that effectively.>>>

This may be the most puzzing remark. No incentive have a party? How about totally free stuff from a brand you already enjoy, no obligation to sell a thing, and a chance to win a free cruise and have you guests have a chance to win a free cruise? No incentive to book a cruise? How about up to $100 onboard credit, 50% off deposit, free prepaid gratuities (worth $140 on a typical 7-day cruise), coupon booklet valued at up to $425, a $25 restaurant gift card, and many other offers combine, including spa credits worth $110, priority VIP check in, Johnny Rockets free meals, free kids soda cards and more. Not only is this "incentive to book" but you absolutely can't find that anywhere else. That much value on one reservation is above the limits any agency can legally "give" on Royal Caribbean without their permission. This offer is the only exclusive offer of it's kind at that time with such blessing from Royal Caribbean. You can look around the Cruise Critc boards till your fingers hurt, but you will not find a better deal or "incentive to book" as you've said.

I guess I'll just enjoy my party and hope many of the other hosts do the same. Anyone have any good drink recipies?

Sounds a lot like an Amway program and is probably only a good deal for the travel agency involved that gets free representation without having to share their commission. Talk about "viral marketing".:rolleyes:

The "free representation" is costing both sponsors a lot of money I would think. Which part isn't a "good deal?" the FREE items? or the actual good deal?

Where did this perception of hard sell or forced selling come into play? Did we not all read the same literature or watch the same webinar? It sounds like the offers are on the table if we want to promote them, otherwise they say to enjoy our parties.

I'll be more than happy to hand out a few brochures in exchange for all the goodies and a chance to win MY cruise..I mean the cruise :-) I don't get into the selling or commission thing.

Cruise Planners is an American Express affiliate agency, has over 750 locations and has been Royal Caribbean's Homebased Agency of the Year for the last two years, the only agency in the world to ever win this award. I think Royal Caribbean knows and is pretty confident they can handle it.

Hmmmm, I am guessing you work for that travel agency. Just a shot in the dark. ;)

Welcome to CC. We are not allowed to talk about Travel Agencies on CC (by name) unless you are a paid sponsor of Cruise Critic. So unless CP is a paid sponsor, all of these wonderful glowing posts about that agency are against TOS. :)

To recap, the volunteer hosts from House Party are being asked to sell a cruise to their friends/family for the chance to win a cruise and get some free paper napkins. And then the agents at the travel agency make the commission for the sold cruise without ever having to actually make a sale.

Oh yeahhhh, sounds like a great deal for those hosts. :cool: ummm, not

Welcome to CC. We are not allowed to talk about Travel Agencies on CC (by name) unless you are a paid sponsor of Cruise Critic. So unless CP is a paid sponsor, all of these wonderful glowing posts about that agency are against TOS. :)

Actually, members can't discuss any agency, sponsor or not. ;)

Actually, members can't discuss any agency, sponsor or not. ;)

Whoops....I didn't bring it up (the name) but was just clearing up some factual inaccuracies with the companies that were discussed. Sorry, no more specifics then that give names. I was unaware of the rule and only responding to try and clear it up.

Whoops....I didn't bring it up (the name) but was just clearing up some factual inaccuracies with the companies that were discussed. Sorry, no more specifics then that give names. I was unaware of the rule and only responding to try and clear it up.

Gee, if you don't work for them why would you be so anxious to respond and clear up the "factual inaccuracies"? Just the voracity of your response to my last post speaks for itself on your position. I think anyone reading this thread knows you for what you are so don't even bother.;)

Gee, if you don't work for them why would you be so anxious to respond and clear up the "factual inaccuracies"? Just the voracity of your response to my last post speaks for itself on your position. I think anyone reading this thread knows you for what you are so don't even bother.;)

Because they were inaccurate and I could point the conversation in the factual directions? I originally decided to post because I saw that someone mentioned 8,000 house parties, when there are less than 1,000, which is far less of a shipment. I am not an employee of either sponsor or the event company, but close to two of them.

I'll stop posting then because it doesn't seem like anyone wants to have a constructive conversation about the merits of the promotion and how everyone involved gets something out of it. If you read again everything that is offered and dont have an axe to grind, then you'd see there is something for everyone. House parties and meetups and other various social networking/marketing trends are pretty cool because everyone usually gets something out of it and just surprised by the negativity.

Oh well....fair skies and calm seas to all.

I am also hosting the Royal Caribbean Everyday is a House Party on Saturday. This is the first party that I have hosted for house party. I am so excited!

My mom, dad, and sister are going on their very first cruise with us in September. I think this is a perfect way for them out a little about cruising!

I am happy for the packs. Of course they could have been better, but I'm thankful to have been chosen to host such a fun event!!

No incentive have a party? How about totally free stuff from a brand you already enjoy, no obligation to sell a thing, and a chance to win a free cruise and have you guests have a chance to win a free cruise?

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I have never sailed RCI or used CP, so I can't say either is "a brand I already enjoy." And I will admit that after receiving the first party pack and listening to the webinar, I felt like I was expected to sell out my friends and family by giving out their personal information so a travel agency could try to sell them a vacation.

This is the first time I'm hosting a house party, having attended one in the past, and I was surprised that there wasn't more to this one. I think most of the hosts, myself included, were expecting a cruise line party ("RCI Get Away From It All"), instead of a travel agency party. The disappointment increases when you take a look at the CCL House Party and see how cool that was, and all the Carnival stuff that was provided to the hosts.

I am also hosting the Royal Caribbean Everyday is a House Party on Saturday. This is the first party that I have hosted for house party. I am so excited!

My mom, dad, and sister are going on their very first cruise with us in September. I think this is a perfect way for them out a little about cruising!

I am happy for the packs. Of course they could have been better, but I'm thankful to have been chosen to host such a fun event!!

Congratulations on being "chosen" to host this party for the agency. I suspect that the odds of your being "chosen" were much better than the odds that you will win anything of value, especially a free cruise, but if it provides you and your family with an enjoyable evening, more power to you.:)

Because they were inaccurate and I could point the conversation in the factual directions? I originally decided to post because I saw that someone mentioned 8,000 house parties, when there are less than 1,000, which is far less of a shipment. I am not an employee of either sponsor or the event company, but close to two of them.

I'll stop posting then because it doesn't seem like anyone wants to have a constructive conversation about the merits of the promotion and how everyone involved gets something out of it. If you read again everything that is offered and dont have an axe to grind, then you'd see there is something for everyone. House parties and meetups and other various social networking/marketing trends are pretty cool because everyone usually gets something out of it and just surprised by the negativity.

Oh well....fair skies and calm seas to all.

I am not an employee of either sponsor or the event company, but close to two of them.

Franchise team members?

An event apron? Here is the apron (obviously cheap paper towel material):

3789532181_233a24a4c4_m.jpg

Here are the napkins and the hibiscus and starfish:

3790345846_7658efa7b6.jpg

Are you kidding me? It's Tuesday and this other mythical package hasn't arrived yet. FYI - I am not going to be and never was 'selling' a cruise to any of my guests - that wasn't the explanation for the party. Everyone coming is an RCCL crown and anchor member. The way it was explained was that we were throwing a party celebrating cruising on RCCL which is perfect because my friends and family all do that. The point was that I could win a cruise and they may get incentives to book a new one. That rip off of a coupon book doesn't qualify as far as I'm concerned. I will definitely not be supplying their names and addresses to this travel company. This poster MUST work for the travel sales company. I can't imagine anything else! No one in their right mind would be happy with the stuff we got! This is my first houseparty.com party and if it weren't for a friend that swears that the materials given for the other parties are actually awesome I wouldn't apply for another. I took her word for it and am applying for the fantasy football one. I'll let you know if that one is better :o

>>>

No incentive to book a cruise? How about up to $100 onboard credit, 50% off deposit, free prepaid gratuities (worth $140 on a typical 7-day cruise), coupon booklet valued at up to $425, a $25 restaurant gift card, and many other offers combine, including spa credits worth $110, priority VIP check in, Johnny Rockets free meals, free kids soda cards and more. Not only is this "incentive to book" but you absolutely can't find that anywhere else. That much value on one reservation is above the limits any agency can legally "give" on Royal Caribbean without their permission. This offer is the only exclusive offer of it's kind at that time with such blessing from Royal Caribbean. You can look around the Cruise Critc boards till your fingers hurt, but you will not find a better deal or "incentive to book" as you've said.

In case you're still here lurking, whynotcruz, I hate to disappoint you, and your employers, but I "absolutely" can find incentives to book my cruise equal to the "great deal" being offered by this house party sponsor, and I don't have to do anything or outlay any money to throw a party to get it. As I stated before, the offer being promoted to the hosts is nothing special, and is available from most major travel agents. Got an email today from another large agency offering me just about the same deal :D Didn't even have to look for it - it came to me! Why would I go to the trouble of having a party and giving you my guests names for future solicitation? By the way, it is now Wed. and I still don't have my 2nd party pack? AND according to the house party web sitte and that is coming in it is ONE hat, ONE tote, etc. What good is that going to do me when I have 20 plus guests coming to my house? Are we supposed to pass the hat around and take take turns wearing it?

Has anyone asked the sponsor what the odds of winning a free cruise are? In most states that is a legal requirement of any contest. Hate to bust anyone's bubble but, frankly I think your odds ran out when you "won" the right to shill for the agency running this promotion.:rolleyes:

No chocolates for me, either! Nice agent! I got my box - brochures on where RCCL go, two on Oasis, staws with umbrellas on them (these are pretty cute, actually!), a tote bag, a hat, a beach mat that folds up into a bag (I think its a beach mat), some leis and a travel clock. I also got the pamphlet about the 'deal' from the TA - it seems like the same one I got from the WOW sale, which I thought was pretty good.

Archived