What to do? Where to go? 3 Days Before Cruise

AbelowDS

Hi!

We're heading out on a cruise that leaves from Athens. We arrive three days early. Since we've already seen all of the sights in Athens that interested us, we're hoping for a beach vacation somewhere.

We don't mind taking a boat - if it doesn't take too long to get to the destination.

Any suggestions on locations? Hotels? etc.?

Thanks

You should look for a hotel located in the central part of town,,,preferably near Syntagma Square and the Plaka. The Grande Bretagne is a great choice, but this famous hotel in pricy. As to what to do for 3 days, you might want to take a full-day excursion to Delphi (any hotel can arrange for this bus trip) and otherwise just spend your time exploring Athens. For a nice dinner (no view...just great food) have your hotel get you a reservation at Daphne's.

Hank

Matt Barrett's Guide has some suggestions and info on islands near Athens, including details on how to get to them. Scroll down to "Getting Out of Athens" to the link to Aegina, Poros and Hydra. http://www.athensguide.com/

p.s. for additional info on the islands, the Tripadvisor forums and hotel reviews will be quite helpful. Here are the links for Poros: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g189494-i8537-Poros_Saronic_Gulf_Islands.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g189494-Poros_Saronic_Gulf_Islands-Hotels.html

Thank you so much. I will check these out.

I did some more research after posting this and learned that by hydrofoil, the time to other islands is not unreasonable:

Aegina ½ hrs

Hydra 1½ hrs

Poros 1 hrs

Spetses 2 hrs

Kythera 4 hrs

Of all the reading I have done, Hydra seems like a great place. Any comments on Hydra and these other islands for a beach vacation (with other things to do if we choose to)?

Thanks again

Hydra is a lovely island, been there twice. Very quiet as tehre are no cars. You just walk. It is easy to reach from Athens and the Peleponnes and has some nice small hotels. (I can look up the names where we stayed, if you want- one was at the habour and started with D, the other nice one is the old swam fabric, something with B) It does NOT have real beaches. You can go for a swim and there are, especially on the other side of the island, some calm bays with little gravel beaches, at least can´t I remember anything else.

There a tavernas and the whole island is romantic. Great choice :)

Archived