"Transfer to Rome" by bus with Holland America?

MiniMoustic

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I cannot encourage you strongly enough to do the HAL bus round trip transfer between port and Rome.

We know Rome very well and have spent considerable time there.
When we were cruising with two other couples who had never been to Rome before (or Europe, for that matter), we agreed the bus transfer for the day was the safest and would make the best use of our time.

DH and I mapped out our day for the six of us to include as much as possible for them to see and using HAL's bus made it perfect for us.

It dropped us at a central location though I don't remember now the exact spot and we were told what time to return.

We galloped off and had the greatest day imagineable, safe and secure in the knowledge that as long as we presented ourselves back at the bus at the appointed time, we would be safe in terms of return to the ship. If the bus arrived late, we would be taken care of as it was an HAL bus.

Do it. I wouldn't dream of trusting train schedule in Italy or even public bus. I don't want to wave to a ship leaving without us aboard.

[/B][/quote]
We have booked the HAL transfer just to be safe. However, we will be in Rome on Sunday. I've never been there...any suggestions on how to plan the day????

[quote name='marshalws']We have booked the HAL transfer just to be safe. However, we will be in Rome on Sunday. I've never been there...any suggestions on how to plan the day????[/quote]
I think you should go over to the "Ports of Call" board and choose Europe and then Mediterranean. There are many more people there who will be doing the same type of cruise and you will get better advice and a lot more opinions.
Terri

• 5 years later...
[quote name='cameljockey']hello, taking a cruise to Rome in august 2016, would any one have a price list of some of the excursions HAL offers? Thank You[/QUOTE]

Go to HAL's website: [url]http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ShoreExcursions.action[/url]

Click on "Europe" and "Civitavecchia (Rome) Italy"

It lists many of the excursions offered with the price coded in $50 increments (i.e. $, $$, $$$, or &&&&, etc.).

We assume you realize that you have posted on a 2009 thread, so keep in mind that some of the info about getting to the Civitavecchia train station has changed (the main port entrance is currently closed for construction work).

As to the tours, it is much too early for HAL to post the actual tours/prices for your particular cruise which is more then a year in the future. However, you can simply go to HALs web site, click on excursions, and then look at what is offered for each of your ports (Rome would be listed under Civitavecchia). The tours probably will not change much in the near future. As to price, you can click on the dollar signs (to the right of the page) and it will give you a range (which is about as good as you will get this far in advance). For what it's worth, nearly all cruise line excursions are overpriced for what you get when compared to joining a small private tour (which many arrange on the appropriate CC Roll Call board for your particular cruise) or on your own. For example. you can currently purchase a BIRG ticket (includes round trip regional train from Civitavecchia to Rome plus all days unlimited use of Rome's bus and metro system) for less than 15 Euros! And you can assume that the basic bus transfer excursion from ship to Rome will cost over $100 per person (and you do not get a pass to use Rome's metro). An 8:30 bus departure from the pier will get you into Rome around 9:50. On the other hand, if you took an early train you could be in Rome somewhat faster (before 9:30).

Hank

Been to Rome 5 or six times. Cruise and land trips.

Our choice would be train to S. Pietro. and return train from either Termini or Trastevere depending upon you sightseeing agenda. This assumes that you have no difficulty with walking. You may want to cab between some locations.

But, we are very independent travellers and used to finding our own way around, arranging our own travel, tours.
If you are not, it may be well worth your while to take the HAL shuttle. We would prefer not to be dropped off in the middle of Rome. Easier for us to start at S. Pietro and end somewhere else. Edited by iancal

For those independent travelers the Brig ticket includes includes unlimited travel on Rome buses, metro (subway), and trams (streetcars). For an additional cost, there are several "Fast Trains" direct from/return to Rome that does include either a first or second class seat, these tickets because of the guaranteed seat do not need your ticket to be validated and the Brig ticket can't be used on these trains, but for an additional cost you can purchase an unlimited pass in Rome good for the same public transportation available with the Brig ticket. These "fast trains" can be reserved in advance and are very good for passengers arriving or departing a cruise with luggage.

The best information I have found on transportation between Citavecchia and Rome is located on the top right corner of the Rome Forum of the TripAdvisor.com web page.

The very best way to plan your visit to Rome would be to do some on line research or go to a library or bookstore and get a book that includes touring Rome. Maybe Frommers or Rick Steves. Decide what you want to see, plan you day, leave extra time for getting lost, etc.

Eat lunch on the run or at a small café. Last time we bought a sandwich from a local grocerty store and a carton of OJ and sat on the steps of St. Marg. (I think that is what it is) and watched the activity at the Parthenon.

This is an amusing thread for me. I've done the HAL bus trip to Rome and I've done Rome on my own. For me, there's no comparison. The HAL trip is a rip off and will greatly reduce the number and quality of sites you can see in your precious hours in one of the world's great cities.

The amusing part for me is the paranoia about "missing the boat". Yes- if you consider the relatively small chance that you might not make it back on time a life changing horrible outcome, then you should take the bus. The bus tour is awful--- but at least you can be sure you won't be left at the dock. You'll get only a few hours in Rome and you will pay an outrageous price for the bus.

So let's consider the worst case scenario. You do it on your own and the ship sails away without you. Is that really such a terrible risk? I'm on the 50 day Maasdam trip this fall and will have this choice to make. It's a no brainer--I'll do it on my own. I do most ports on my own and I've never missed the ship, but I realize it could happen. Suppose it happens to me this fall. Our next port is Naples. It's a short train ride to Naples from Civitavecchia. No big deal. Yes, I'll have to pay for a hotel that night. But I'll also get a mini-adventure and have some new stories to tell. For me, the main reason I travel is to put myself in unique and unusual situations to meet people and see things I can't see at home. I have no doubt I would get back on the ship the next day and may even have some fun doing it. Is that so bad?

Obviously, you have to use your judgment. Last fall, I was on the Grand Asia trip. I had arranged a private boat on the north side of Apia, Samoa to go surfing and snorkeling. It sounded awesome. But I canceled it because it was a long way from the port and if I missed the ship, the next port was Hilo 6 days later. Not worth the risk.

Don't be afraid to get out of the protective HAL bubble and explore on your own. I find it very, very rewarding. I have grown to detest the awful HAL bus tours where you are guided around like a flock of sheep. I find it so much more rewarding to get out there and really see things. I highly recommend it to others as well.

However you choose to spend your time-- have fun. But don't let the scardy cats stop you from really experiencing the opportunities out there.