Is the Magic stern or bow in at Castaway Cay?

skindeep

I have seen photos showing both so does it just depend on the tide, weather or do they rotate what they do cruise to cruise?

(I ask as we will be on the starboard (right) side which would overlook Castaway Cay areas when the Magic is stern in)

been on the wonder 2 times and both time we backed in......... we have been to castaway cay 3 times in 2 cruises and all backed in....

Ditto. Twice on Magic, once on Wonder.

Backed in every time (stern first), so starboard side faces the beach areas, port side faces the dock.

It backs in. Both sides are cool though. SB you can oversea the island, but when port, I LOOOOVE seeing the staff wave with Mickey hands and when we arrive and toss the stramer like stuff. They also wave goodbye when we leave. ;)

For the first few months, the Magic went in bow first (starboard side to). Then in December '99 I think, a hurricane hit the island and severely damaged the wharf. The ship stayed away for a few months and when she returned, she went in Port side to. I don't know why they would do this other than the wharf not being set-up for the preferred port side berthing prior to the hurricane and subsequent repairs.

It's preferrable to back in through the narrow channel becuase if the wind or seas pick-up while the ship is in port, they can get out much easier running ahead rather than astern. The ships have advanced articulated rudders specifically for Castaway Cay but all rudders and props still work better ahead than astern.

Archived