Just off the Mercury July 5-12/09

frozen canuck

This is our 1st posting & a short review of the Mercury.

Great weather, fantastic crew - especially Angela - Captains Club Rep--new loyality program started on Monday & we were 2 of only 13 Elite members on board. Received some nice perks ....unlimited access to the T pool, Michaels Club, dinner at the Captains Table, birthday cake with champagne ...however were disappointed with the evening meals in the dining room. The seafood pasta dish had 2 scallops & 4 baby shrimp in semi dry pasta.....the beef was either overcooked or returned twice in one case before it was cooked properly..lobster was just OK. The soup was excellent, fish meals were good & desserts were great.

Lunch served in the DR was good & breakfast buffet was good.

The engine noise & severe vibration in the DR at times made it very uncomfortable & difficult to communicate at your table.

The layout of deck 5 & 6 was VERY confusing - having to enter the DR at deck 6 & walk downstairs to deck 5 was difficult.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our Alaska cruiseand would like to go back again - but not on the Mercury.

Hi,:) glad you had a nice time, but sorry you didn't enjoy the ship.

Did you know about Cruise Critic before leaving? Would have been

happy to have explained the deckplans for you...oh well, moot point

now;)

I am going back on her for the 7th time in September:D

She is my favorite.

This is our 1st posting & a short review of the Mercury.

The layout of deck 5 & 6 was VERY confusing - having to enter the DR at deck 6 & walk downstairs to deck 5 was difficult.

May I be the first to welcome you to CruiseCritic

I have found about 1/2 the ships are like this because of the galley (kitchen)

We have sailed on this class ship many times and we NEVER remember about the deck being cut off. We have gotten off the elevator MANY times and looked at each other and just said "Not again!"

That's why I bring my GPS :D

I'm usually lost on a ship till the last day:(

We sailed Mercury once in 2005 and I still get dizzy thinking about it. The last night of the cruise my sister-in-law and I were still walking into walls.

Just do not like the layout of Mercury. Besides the Martini Bar is basically non-existent. I did like the Palm Springs Pool area with bar.

Glad you had a good time in Alaska.

Anne Maria

Archived