Dress Code changes for 2010 cruises

DaveFr

But as for touching the sides of the locks. . . . I imagine today you would have had unhappy security guards in your suite toot suite ---- what a world we live in.

It is very easily possible to touch the sides of the locks when passing through on Mariner. Have done so without strain and I am a short-armed little beggar!

No security guards around to stop you either. The drill is; Obs lounge (how's that for jargon!) for the first set of locks and wandering round the decks for the outgoing set.

Yes, Travelcat. That is a polo shirt on the beefcake. But no more pictures from your bedroom wall, please. :)

"but the all imporatant issue is whether your cruise is east of the equator or not"

I would be interested to know what is east of the equator, or west for that matter!!!:)

They are at the opposite edges of the Earth, where ships fall off. It creates one heck of a waterfall, but the question is, where does the water go?

So what I want to know is, what's going to happen to me when I finally cross the equator on water this winter? Am I going to disappear into a black hole, or do I wait for the Bermuda triangle for that? I've crossed a few times in the air, does that count towards being a shellback?

So what I want to know is, what's going to happen to me when I finally cross the equator on water this winter? Am I going to disappear into a black hole, or do I wait for the Bermuda triangle for that? I've crossed a few times in the air, does that count towards being a shellback?

I've crossed it twice aboard ship. You will have to kiss a fish. It's usually dead. Then, you have to jump in the water.

equator1.jpg>>>>equator2.jpg

Getting back to the original thread, this was on Oceania -- notice that they allow polo shirts and cargo shorts (but not the shorts for dinner).

hondorner, You will see similar clothing on Regent during the day. In fact, I believe it was Captain McNeill who wore shorts over his white uniform (much to some of the passengers' dismay) when we crossed the equator.

Wendy, I highly recommend finding a great spot in the shade (which means arriving early) to watch the activities when crossing the equator. If you are really outgoing, participating in the events is also great fun. Just remember, you will be filmed by others and, in today's world, it can be displayed for the world to see. :D

On Oceania even the entertainers and cruise staff were covered with pancake batter. On Fred Olsen, crossing the Arctic Circle, the captain got to kiss the fish. We all took photos. When you cross the International Date Line, depending on the direction, your hair turns gray and you age rapidly.

I've actually heard that usually just the staff get mucked up on the Regent ships. We'll see. We will probably lurk on the periphery so we can make a quick escape.

Uh-uh Wendy!!! If you don't participate, you don't get to call yourself a "shellback"!:D And NO, crossing in an airplane doesn't count.:eek: We "shellbacks" have standards to uphold!

esther e, having crossed the dateline a couple of times in a ship, I still can't get my head fully around (when going west) going to bed Sunday night and waking up on Tuesday morning. Might have done that the odd time in my drinking days.......:eek::eek: Never sailed it in the other direction so I can't attest to the effects it may have on the human anatomy.

Uh-uh Wendy!!! If you don't participate, you don't get to call yourself a "shellback"!:D And NO, crossing in an airplane doesn't count.:eek: We "shellbacks" have standards to uphold!

esther e, having crossed the dateline a couple of times in a ship, I still can't get my head fully around (when going west) going to bed Sunday night and waking up on Tuesday morning. Might have done that the odd time in my drinking days.......:eek::eek: Never sailed it in the other direction so I can't attest to the effects it may have on the human anatomy.

Well, on our last voyage on the PG we tried to get into La Verandah for Valentine's Day but it was booked. Then the maitre d' called to say they could take us on the SECOND Valentine's day. Seemed to work. We were sailing East. Feb 14 is Feb 14.

You only become a shellback by crossing the equator on water! Sorry. I hope that you will have some kind of ceremony aboard Voyager to mark this and get the cerificates! We had them on our WC and Mom was looking forward to it last year on Mariner. But, we crossed twice and nothing was done to mark the events. I even think we had 2 different captains for each of the crossings. So, maybe that is a function of the cruise director. Anyway, it was rather a disappointment. I will warn you to apply sunscreen if you do have a Pool Deck event and you attend it, even if it is on a cloudy day. I got a big sunburn the second time I attended on of these because I thought well it is cloudy and I'll only be out here for 30 minutes or so. Yeah, but on the equator! Duh!

"Ah right, the dateline! Just to complicate things! I've never cross the dateline, so what are you if you haven't done that? A tadpole? "

You become a member of the order of the golden dragon. Not sure what you are before, but not a golden dragon! We did this on Voyager on the WC and I don't recall any ceremonies or any certificates being issued!

Debbie

Ah right, the dateline! Just to complicate things! I've never cross the dateline, so what are you if you haven't done that? A tadpole?

Inexperienced????:D

You want complicated?? A few years back my wife's brother did the "backpack around the world" thing. He crossed the dateline going west and lost a day. Since he kept on going in the same direction until he got home, he never re-crossed it and therefore never got the "missing day" back. Sooooo, technically he is a day younger than it says on his birth certificate!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Inexperienced????:D

You want complicated?? A few years back my wife's brother did the "backpack around the world" thing. He crossed the dateline going west and lost a day. Since he kept on going in the same direction until he got home, he never re-crossed it and therefore never got the "missing day" back. Sooooo, technically he is a day younger than it says on his birth certificate!!!:eek::eek::eek:

The first time we flew backwards (West to East) across the dateline I made a point to call myself and leave a voice mail about how the food was and to avoid the chicken entre' on the flight. I got that message just as we were about to board and choose the pasta and later, when me and myself talk about it, we agreed that the pasta was better than the chicken, so it all worked out. Ever since then I have been telling myself I told you so.

Rally, very funny! Roland, I resemble that remark! Inexperienced I'm not!

My brother's flying here next month east from China so I guess I'd better expect him a day early!

The "fun" part about west-to-east is that you get to travel back in time!!! When we flew home from Sydney in March we left Sydney at 12:45PM and arrived in Vancouver some 13 hours later at 7:30AM the same day! You don't want to know what THAT does to your circadian rythmns!!!:D

Archived