Need to decide - Spirit vs. Dawn to Bermuda w/kids

giantcrazy

OK, I think I'm pretty much settled (courtesy of a lack of availability for most of what I originally looked at) on a Bermuda cruise in a few weeks on Norwegian.

This is our first time cruising, so it's been a little confusing. Even moreso that we're traveling with our youngest for the first time (he's 8 months), so it's the first time we've run into the maximum occupancy issue. The other two are 5 and 7 years old, so we're hoping there's enough to entertain to give us some quality time with the little guy and a break when he's asleep.

Looking to book a balcony and an inside to accommodate us all. Did the pricing, and both have some availability left with a pretty significant difference in price (Dawn is 32% more expensive than Spirit).

Bearing in mind I know zip about cruises, I've tried to read the reviews on both boats. I know the Spirit is smaller, but can't quantify how much that will affect me. So far:

Dawn Pros:

- Leaves out of NYC, a 20 minute ride from home for me.

- Larger ship, seems to have more entertainment/eating options

Spirit Pros:

- Apparently refurbished recently, seems to have a nicer kids pool/area

- Considerably cheaper

My questions:

- Has anyone been on both? Aside from convenience, does Dawn offer more than would justify being so much more expensive?

- Are the rooms on Dawn larger (in similar/equivalent classes) than the Spirit?

- Are the kids facilities better on one than the other?

- Does the relative difference in size mean a much different ride when you're out at sea? First time cruisers, I'd like to keep the vomiting to a minimum :)

I realize that's a lot of info to digest, but any help is *greatly* appreciated!

OK, I think I'm pretty much settled (courtesy of a lack of availability for most of what I originally looked at) on a Bermuda cruise in a few weeks on Norwegian.

This is our first time cruising, so it's been a little confusing. Even moreso that we're traveling with our youngest for the first time (he's 8 months), so it's the first time we've run into the maximum occupancy issue. The other two are 5 and 7 years old, so we're hoping there's enough to entertain to give us some quality time with the little guy and a break when he's asleep.

Looking to book a balcony and an inside to accommodate us all. Did the pricing, and both have some availability left with a pretty significant difference in price (Dawn is 32% more expensive than Spirit).

Bearing in mind I know zip about cruises, I've tried to read the reviews on both boats. I know the Spirit is smaller, but can't quantify how much that will affect me. So far:

Dawn Pros:

- Leaves out of NYC, a 20 minute ride from home for me.

- Larger ship, seems to have more entertainment/eating options

Spirit Pros:

- Apparently refurbished recently, seems to have a nicer kids pool/area

- Considerably cheaper

My questions:

- Has anyone been on both? Aside from convenience, does Dawn offer more than would justify being so much more expensive?

- Are the rooms on Dawn larger (in similar/equivalent classes) than the Spirit?

- Are the kids facilities better on one than the other?

- Does the relative difference in size mean a much different ride when you're out at sea? First time cruisers, I'd like to keep the vomiting to a minimum :)

I realize that's a lot of info to digest, but any help is *greatly* appreciated!

Ok...as you can see I'm about to go on the Spirit for my first time...and I have done the Dawn and I loved it. I don't have small kids...but I have consistently read on these boards that the kids pool and program on Spirit is slightly better than the Dawn. The dawn is huge....the rooms are tiny.....like all cruise ships. The Spirit balcony room seems a slight bit smaller than the Dawn...but it is a negligible difference. There are a one or two more restaurants and bars on Dawn...but the Spirit has plenty. The Spirit docks for one full day more than the Dawn in Bermuda....so in the beginning there is only one sea day not two...... I had to switch my Dawn cruise which was scheduled for August 30, 2009...I am now sailing on August 28, 2009 Spirit...... I love the Dawn but circumstances being what they are I believe your family will have a great time on the Spirit too. I have read great reviews on Spirit this year....Dawn too......I think they are so simililar that I will barely notice a difference.....Spirit will still be very impressive to you and your family even though it is slightly smaller......it is still amazing as a first timer to see all that can be included on a ship......it is awe inspiring. Good luck with your choice......

also...just found this hotel deal posted on another thread.

Great Boston Hotel Deal Right by Cruise Terminal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One night for $99 at the Westin (valid before 9/8) for anyone looking for a pre- or post- Boston to Bermuda option...

http://groupon.thepoint.com/deals/th...rce=newsletter

Can't comment on the ships but

Keep in mind that these ships dock in KINGS WHARF...which is the FAR end of the island. You will need to take the ferry, bus or taxi to get to the nearest beach or to anyplace else. Bermuda is a wonderful place to go but it is expensive. And Kings Wharf is quite remote.

The best beaches are located closer to Hamilton and Saint George...

Good Luck

I sailed on the Spirit 2 years ago, and we had younger kids in our traveling group. They absolutely loved the pool area. Its in a perfect location on the back of the ship, with a slide and some squirt guns. I've never been on the dawn, but I've head from several people that the Spirit is more kid friendly. I'm sailing on the Aug 28th sailing to Bermuda on the Spirit. One advantage of this cruise over the dawn cruise is that you have an extra day on Bermuda, because the Dawn does 2 sea days at the beginning of the cruise instead of the Spirits' 1 day. As far as the size difference in relation to smooth seas, you won't notice a difference. The Spirit is a huge ship, and the dawn is a little larger. With that said, if the seas are rough, the ride will be a little rough. If you want a smoother ride, opt for a cabin mid ship, on a lower deck. You don't really have the option of a lower deck if you want a balcony, but try to get a balcony room that's mid-ship (Not in the front or the back) If your worried about sea-sickness, I'd bring some Dramamine, a sea band (sea sickness bracelet) or a sea sickness patch. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, but I think you and your kids will like the Spirit more. Happy Cruising! Maybe I'll see you on board!

Can't comment on the ships but

Keep in mind that these ships dock in KINGS WHARF...which is the FAR end of the island. You will need to take the ferry, bus or taxi to get to the nearest beach or to anyplace else. Bermuda is a wonderful place to go but it is expensive. And Kings Wharf is quite remote.

The best beaches are located closer to Hamilton and Saint George...

Good Luck

I found it much easier and quicker to get to Horsehoe Bay from Kings Wharf than from St. George. There is also the snorkel park within walking distance to the ship in Kings Wharf. It is not a big beautiful beach but it is nice and small and great for a nice relaxing swim and fun in the sand with my kids without too much fuss at all.

I have been on both ships. I will be back on the Spirit in 3 weeks.

My kids are 14 and 11. In 2006, we were on the Spirit and they loved the back pool area for kids. There was plenty of deck space for the parents too. In 2007 we were on the Dawn. The Kids pool area on the Dawn is much smaller and more geared to younger kids. They loved both ships however.

Our only problem with the Spirit is the lack of cabins for a family of 4. There are only 9 oceanviews that accomodate 4 and no balconies. All cabins for 4 are insides. Families of 4 and 5 need to select balcony category cabins if they want connecting/adjoining cabins. We were in an inside cabin on the Spirit and in an AB Penthouse suite on the Dawn that had 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, a living room and butler service. It was an incredible cabin for our family with plenty of space. However, My DW will still say that she likes the Spirit better.

I think that there are more similarities than differences in both ships. There is one or two less restaurants on the Spirit. We do love the layout of the Spirit better than the Dawn.

We live close to Boston so after 3 years of diving to NYC to cruise we are back leaving out of our own port.

One advantage of this cruise over the dawn cruise is that you have an extra day on Bermuda, because the Dawn does 2 sea days at the beginning of the cruise instead of the Spirits' 1 day.

You really don't have an extra day in Bermuda on the Spirit. The ship stays an extra night and leaves at 6:00 AM on Wednesday so I wouldn't count that as a day in Bermuda. You are correct that the ship does spend more time there though as it spends 67 hours vs. 57 hours for the Dawn. Unfortunately that extra 10 hours is at night.

Thanks all - some solid advice here.

My kids are young, 5 and 7. The lack of cabins for 4 doesn't hurt us too much, since we're five and basically forced into two rooms regardless (there aren't any suites left for five on either sailing, aside from some remarkably priced suite that's way outside our range).

We've been to Bermuda before, so I know the layout of the island. Since we're traveling with an infant, I think we'd end up spending more time on the boat than we would onshore anyhow, but when we do need to get to land we know exactly where to go (straight to the Swizzle Inn! ;)

Thanks again for the help. Now, it's just a matter of deciding whether I want to have to schlep 4 hours back to NY when I'm done, or just pony up the extra money and leave from our home port.

My kids are young, 5 and 7. The lack of cabins for 4 doesn't hurt us too much, since we're five and basically forced into two rooms regardless (there aren't any suites left for five on either sailing, aside from some remarkably priced suite that's way outside our range).

We've been to Bermuda before, so I know the layout of the island. Since we're traveling with an infant, I think we'd end up spending more time on the boat than we would onshore anyhow, but when we do need to get to land we know exactly where to go (straight to the Swizzle Inn! ;)

Thanks again for the help. Now, it's just a matter of deciding whether I want to have to schlep 4 hours back to NY when I'm done, or just pony up the extra money and leave from our home port.

Leaving out of your homeport can be priceless if the alternative is traveling 4 hours with 2 kids and an infant:D. They are both great ships so have fun on what ever works best for you.

I've sailed both ships with my two young children. Both are great. I'd give a very slight advantage to the Spirit's kid's crew and pool area BUT not enough to drive 4 hours for;) Good luck deciding:D

I found it much easier and quicker to get to Horsehoe Bay from Kings Wharf than from St. George. There is also the snorkel park within walking distance to the ship in Kings Wharf. It is not a big beautiful beach but it is nice and small and great for a nice relaxing swim and fun in the sand with my kids without too much fuss at all.

I agree, Jim. I've docked at all 3 ports and thought King's Wharf was great. Very easy to get to the southern shore beaches, Hamilton, and St. George via the buses and ferries. Loved having Snorkel Park within walking distance of the ship. Great beach for the little ones and the snorkeling is pretty good there, as well.

Ok...as you can see I'm about to go on the Spirit for my first time...and I have done the Dawn and I loved it. I don't have small kids...but I have consistently read on these boards that the kids pool and program on Spirit is slightly better than the Dawn. The dawn is huge....the rooms are tiny.....like all cruise ships. The Spirit balcony room seems a slight bit smaller than the Dawn...but it is a negligible difference. There are a one or two more restaurants and bars on Dawn...but the Spirit has plenty. The Spirit docks for one full day more than the Dawn in Bermuda....so in the beginning there is only one sea day not two...... I had to switch my Dawn cruise which was scheduled for August 30, 2009...I am now sailing on August 28, 2009 Spirit...... I love the Dawn but circumstances being what they are I believe your family will have a great time on the Spirit too. I have read great reviews on Spirit this year....Dawn too......I think they are so simililar that I will barely notice a difference.....Spirit will still be very impressive to you and your family even though it is slightly smaller......it is still amazing as a first timer to see all that can be included on a ship......it is awe inspiring. Good luck with your choice......

The Dawn is actually in Bermuda 3 more hours than the Sprit:rolleyes: The Spirit docks at 11, the Dawn docks at 8 am. don't want to confuse the OP anymore, but both are fantastic ships, will be on the Dawn again in 22 days and can't wait:D Bermuda here we come, also traveling with 2 dd's 10 and 15 they love cruising and Bermuda is their favorite island. Happy sailing.

I have been on both ships. Yes, there are differences, but minor, in my opinion. You also need to add the "cost" of time and money to get in/out Boston, parking etc etc. Probably won't be as significant as you are thinking.

If I lived in the New York City area I would take the Dawn, and if I lived in the Boston area I would take the Spirit. Yes there are slight differences between the ships, but not so large as to drive to Boston.....or the other way.....

Thanks all for the helpful advice and guidance.

If not for the huge cost difference, I'd have gone with the Dawn. That said, the difference widened by quite a bit (the Dawn ended up being 50% more expensive). Plus, I have the ability to get two adjoining balconies, which will probably better suit the five of us.

Driving to Boston won't be the fun part, but we're a road trip crew. Head in the night before, spend the night in a hotel - even if getting around costs us $300, we've still saved almost $2k.

Plus, last extra benefit - the Spirit leaves on a Friday. Although that'll mean an extra day off from work, I'll also be back on a Friday, so I'll have the weekend to unwind before going back to work. Coming back on a Sunday, I think I'd have a harsher return to reality the following day in the office.

I'll throw in one other idea. Not sure where you are located, but if you are near an AMTRAK station, you could take the kids on the train and forgo BOTH the cost of parking AND the hotel room. Trains run about every hour and it takes about 4 hours. Fares are on sale--$50 each way for adults, half price for kids, and no fee for under 2.

You get into South Station in Boston which is about a mile from the terminal. (We walk but obviously you would need to take a taxi--or two taxis--so that would be $10 each taxi--lots of taxis and never a wait).

Just an idea. Kids LOVE trains. The vacation could start earlier. Not sure, but counting cost of gas, food, hotel, parking etc. it might even be cheaper than driving!

Have a great time!

yoyocruiser

I'll throw in one other idea. Not sure where you are located, but if you are near an AMTRAK station, you could take the kids on the train and forgo BOTH the cost of parking AND the hotel room. Trains run about every hour and it takes about 4 hours. Fares are on sale--$50 each way for adults, half price for kids, and no fee for under 2.

You get into South Station in Boston which is about a mile from the terminal. (We walk but obviously you would need to take a taxi--or two taxis--so that would be $10 each taxi--lots of taxis and never a wait).

Just an idea. Kids LOVE trains. The vacation could start earlier. Not sure, but counting cost of gas, food, hotel, parking etc. it might even be cheaper than driving!

Have a great time!

yoyocruiser

It took a bit of work to convince the wife to cruise out of Boston. I don't think I've had sufficient martial arts training to even think of suggesting a train ride up there ;)

If it were just her and me, I'd definitely go the train route. Or if it was the older two kids. But the three kids together with all the luggage we're going to be, uh, lugging - I'd have to be suicidal to even bring the topic up for discussion.

Thanks for looking out though!

Thanks all for the helpful advice and guidance.

If not for the huge cost difference, I'd have gone with the Dawn. That said, the difference widened by quite a bit (the Dawn ended up being 50% more expensive). Plus, I have the ability to get two adjoining balconies, which will probably better suit the five of us.

Driving to Boston won't be the fun part, but we're a road trip crew. Head in the night before, spend the night in a hotel - even if getting around costs us $300, we've still saved almost $2k.

Plus, last extra benefit - the Spirit leaves on a Friday. Although that'll mean an extra day off from work, I'll also be back on a Friday, so I'll have the weekend to unwind before going back to work. Coming back on a Sunday, I think I'd have a harsher return to reality the following day in the office.

When we drove from Boston to NYC to get on the Spirit, Dawn, and Carnival Miracle we drove down the day before. It does increase the expense a bit my lowers my stress level:D!

Good luck with you plans. We will be on the Sprit 8/7/09. The Spirit appears to be selling out for the next few weeks after having lots of empty cabins a week ago.

You really don't have an extra day in Bermuda on the Spirit. The ship stays an extra night and leaves at 6:00 AM on Wednesday so I wouldn't count that as a day in Bermuda. You are correct that the ship does spend more time there though as it spends 67 hours vs. 57 hours for the Dawn. Unfortunately that extra 10 hours is at night.

Not unfortunate at all, actually. That 3rd night allows us to spend another excellent day and into the evening enjoying the island - at the same time the Dawn is sailing over the horizon - that's a real no-brainer to us...:p

Spending this 3 nights in Bermuda is the very next best thing to staying at the Fairmont for the week!

;)

If I lived in the New York City area I would take the Dawn, and if I lived in the Boston area I would take the Spirit. Yes there are slight differences between the ships, but not so large as to drive to Boston.....or the other way.....

sounds like a sensible answer!:rolleyes:

GiantCrazy - given the fact that you say you plan to spend a lot of time on the ship and, also, the ages of your children, I think the Spirit is a much better option.

The huge difference is the seating areas at both kids' pools.

The Dawn pool area is smaller. To be able to clearly see your children (while in the pools) parents must sit on a bench that goes across the back of the ship. It is very crowded and noisy.

The Spirit pool has stadium seating (lots of it!!) that overlooks the pool which is located on the stern. There is plenty of room to spread out and store your stuff. Also, you will be in a location where you can go up a deck or two (depending on where you sit) and grab food from the outdoor BBQ or inside at the buffet.

You can sit at the outdoor tables to eat and still be able to see the kids down below in the pool.

We have been on both ships twice, both with and without our grandchildren. Each ship is unique and lovely in her own way, but, again, from the "kid perspective", I vote for the Spirit.

Another advantage to the Spirit, in my opinion, is that the saunas, steamrooms, and lap pool are attached to the gym (not the spa) and do not charge a feee.

(that could have changed, so folks, please do not blast me if I am incorrect)

Last year we had all 4 grands (age 12, 9, 7, and 3) in Bermuda so I will be glad to share some entertainment ideas with you. Also, I will be glad to answer any questions you have about the ships.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Well, it looks like jimswims and I will be sailing together ;)

Booked last night for the 8/7 sailing. Of course, all the research went into the toilet in 5 minutes as we had limited availability:

- Try and book out of NYC to avoid driving - no availability

- Avoid the fore and aft, try and stay midship - we ended up aft, all the way

- Try and stay on one of the middle decks - we're on Deck 11

- Needed a room with a fridge for the baby's formula - two rooms, no fridges

At this point I'm surprised I successfully booked a cruise; considering I'm batting zero, I wouldn't be surprised to find a plane out there :)

The upside I guess is it seems that the kids will be spending most of their time on the aft of the ship by the kiddie pool, and it's on deck 10, one below where we are. Now I'm going to have to buy everything imaginable (sea bands, ginger pills, meclizine) to ensure that whatever extra motion we feel is negated and everyone is OK at sea.

Deep breaths...

Thanks all for your help - far more helpful than the travel agents I came across and a lot more polite.

Archived