Typical Ventura Passenger?

ROSEBASKETS

Please forgive the long thread starter but I found this "review" on another site and thought it might be an idea for "regulars" to agree or disagree with this persons comments, especially with the recent Ventura / OV discussion.

Entertainment was excellent in my opinion, led by the brilliant Neil Oliver. This man is quite simply wasted at sea and should be producing shows in the west end or on television. Food was pretty good and service was usually good, particularly in Ramblas and East. White Room is a glorified "Frankies" (as in Frankies in Knightsbridge rather than the weird burger bar by the swimming pool). Formal nights should be observed and, in my opinion, there were far too many people walking around in England and (far too many more) Scotland football shirts. It is a pleasure and fun to dress up formally, and it adds a sparkle to the evening, spolit when you encounter a certain type of uncouth passenger who simply can't make the effort. This leads me on to my main point. Compromises have been made with a lack of wooden decking or panelling, and cheap plastics, flooring and formica have sufficed. But is this a problem? For a first-timer like myself, not really. I would be none the wiser, but for the fact that some areas do look gaudy and cheap. Ventura is like Las Vegas on sea and some (only some) of the entertainment elements do remind me of what might be deemed traditional holiday camp entertainment. I can't call it Butlins-style as I have never been to Butlins, but it can be of the "Shane Richie" style of entertainment at times. This isn't to decry Neil Oliver's efforts, which are superb - the man is fantastic at getting people enthused about just about anything. Leving Ventura this morning was not a difficult thing to do. My family and I were happy to leave and look forward to another cruise, perhaps on another boat. We hope (perhaps against hope) that Azura might be a bit classier - Ventura fits a purpose but we are not sure that we would sail on it again. The main reason for our apathy towards the ship is that it is trying to do too much for too many people. For instance, we had some heavenly moments on deck enjoying champagne looking out to sea. No entertainment required, as we were in our own "bubble". Other highlights include a fantastic cookery class with Marco Pierre White, beautiful food in East. Service was largely good, though we did get a little tired of waiters, bar staff, cabin stewards, managers etc. interacting with our baby. Whilst the comments were very flattering and complimentary, it was often at meal times or as she was sleeping and she would then get distracted or woken up. A difficult addition to an already disrupted routine. I'm sure some staff must miss their own children hugely and given that the majority of people were middle aged, we were perhaps a bit of a novelty. Finally, my perception of Ventura is that there are too many people who simply want ""Benidorm at Sea". There were a large number of people on board who I simply would not usually mix with (not would they with me). Putting it bluntly, there were a fair number of people who revelled in getting their rather fat, wobbly, tattooed bodies out at the first sign of sun. Beer and lager swilling builder types who complained at a well-behaved baby sitting quietly in the Red Bar (a wine bar on the 7th deck) as her parents enjoyed a well-earned glass of Sancerre. The same complainants then went on to ask for a pint of Stella and whinged when it wasn't on draught and only available in a bottle. We are not snobs by any means, but the high contigency of blue-flag wearing Scots who converged on the ship was surprising. Perhaps more suited to the Gorbals, some of these folk insisted on going lobster red in the sun on Deck 15 interspersed with several pizzas and burgers from the fast food outlets and beers and cocktails from the bars. Hard for anybody in a lift who doesn't understand broad Glaswegian - "are yee gain doon?". Personally, Ventura lacked class but this may not be the fault of the ship. Rather the fault of the the type of people who sail on it. We met some lovely people, usually late fifties or sixties, with lovely manners and refined tastes. Deck 15 was, at times, absolute hell. My advice to future travellers: enjoy Ventura, avoid Deck 15 unless you like mixing with people who enjoy "Feeling hot hot hot" and "Hey Baby, Will You Be My Girl", whilst burning in the blazing sun and allowing their aggressive kids to hog the pool. The Waterside is a trough, great for those people who haven't eaten since the last meal and feel compelled to pile their plates high with buffet food. I prefer table service and modified portions. Some people were clearly eating three courses every mealtime. Gluttony at its worst. My picks are Deck 7 for enjoying the sea and like minded promenaders, Ramblas for tapas, East is the best restaurant on the ship, White Room is good but not as good as Luciano (MPW restaurant in Mayfair). Enjoy the theatre shows - the Arena theatre is probably better equipped than most west end theatres. The shows are good and done to a high standard. Message to P&O - you may have untapped a new niche market in Ventura, albeit well-off or affluent C1s, C2s and C3s, but don't alienate your A's and B's. This isn't elitism - all markets are defined by their niche or demographic. Ventura seeks to want to satisfy all people, when in reality it is probably a pikeys paradise where other less obnoxious or ostentatious people feel forced into suppressing their own personalities for fear of being considered "snobs" or "up themselves". My wife and I, both in our early thirties, simply wanted to enjoy ourselves. The yob element on board was, at times, intimidating. Perhaps because of the different school holidays, most of this element were Scottish. (Being a Scot myself, I feel comfortable making this statement.) It may be okay for the nouveau riche of Glasgow or Edinburgh, but I would ask that next time such people venture south they bring their manners and courtesy with them. We had a great time but would seriously consider doing a cruise outside of Scottish school holidays to avoid the neanderthals that were on our cruise. Harsh but true. I'm sure I leave myself vulnerable to criticism by saying this, but I am sure I speak for many who daren't speak up. I don't want to share my space with men wearing blue t-shirts with saltire flags on, Glasgow Rangers flip-flops and tattoos of Rob Roy on horseback on their arms. You might as well invite the national front. I was ashamed to be present in front of such people, and their rampant nationalism would not be allowed elsewhere. Security on board were excellent, but P&O really must address the type of dress that people were and remove the pikey element, otherwise this ship really will become a floating Butlins.

I was ashamed to be present in front of such people, and their rampant nationalism would not be allowed elsewhere.

Guess they gave the Great british sailaway a miss all the flag waving would have been far to much for them :D:D:D

help!! is it really this bad? on this ship next june for one week.

does it really attract shall we say,--- the less desirable?. the review

painted horror stories for me. have been on arcadia, qm2 and queen victoria. each one has been a fine experience. please tell me most of the folk are fine. regards, worried mike.:)

I've spent hours weighing up the pros and cons, and have now decided that I would rather spend weeks with an unaesthetically pleasing Scottish Nationalist sporting tattoos than with someone who speaks without using paragraphs.

At least then I shall understand what they are saying, even if I don't agree with it.

Sir Martin:cool:

I've spent hours weighing up the pros and cons, and have now decided that I would rather spend weeks with an unaesthetically pleasing Scottish Nationalist sporting tattoos than with someone who speaks without using paragraphs.

At least then I shall understand what they are saying, even if I don't agree with it.

Sir Martin:cool:

It is hard going, but to be fair, if this review comes from the site I suspect it does, it is not possible to include paragraphs. I know, because I have posted questions using paragraphs, and yet when the posts appear the paragraphs have disappeared.

I have sailed on Ventura, though fortunatly not in the school hols. I would say that mostly this is a pretty accurate account of the ship, not all bad but on ballance not for him (or me again)

David.

As I've mentioned before, I think Venura is a very schizophrenic ship - in school holidays she's one thing, out of them she's another. Last autumn - very late September & into October - we saw very few if any of the type of people described. So pick your cruise date on her carefully!

The point about Scottish school holidays being different from those in England & Wales (by several weeks) is a good one, though.

I have inserted paragraphs. Now it makes more sense. Sounds a very scary cruise in so many ways......

Entertainment was excellent in my opinion, led by the brilliant Neil Oliver. This man is quite simply wasted at sea and should be producing shows in the west end or on television.

Food was pretty good and service was usually good, particularly in Ramblas and East. White Room is a glorified "Frankies" (as in Frankies in Knightsbridge rather than the weird burger bar by the swimming pool).

Formal nights should be observed and, in my opinion, there were far too many people walking around in England and (far too many more) Scotland football shirts. It is a pleasure and fun to dress up formally, and it adds a sparkle to the evening, spolit when you encounter a certain type of uncouth passenger who simply can't make the effort.

This leads me on to my main point. Compromises have been made with a lack of wooden decking or panelling, and cheap plastics, flooring and formica have sufficed.

But is this a problem? For a first-timer like myself, not really. I would be none the wiser, but for the fact that some areas do look gaudy and cheap. Ventura is like Las Vegas on sea and some (only some) of the entertainment elements do remind me of what might be deemed traditional holiday camp entertainment.

I can't call it Butlins-style as I have never been to Butlins, but it can be of the "Shane Richie" style of entertainment at times. This isn't to decry Neil Oliver's efforts, which are superb - the man is fantastic at getting people enthused about just about anything.

Leving Ventura this morning was not a difficult thing to do. My family and I were happy to leave and look forward to another cruise, perhaps on another boat.

We hope (perhaps against hope) that Azura might be a bit classier - Ventura fits a purpose but we are not sure that we would sail on it again. The main reason for our apathy towards the ship is that it is trying to do too much for too many people. For instance, we had some heavenly moments on deck enjoying champagne looking out to sea. No entertainment required, as we were in our own "bubble".

Other highlights include a fantastic cookery class with Marco Pierre White, beautiful food in East.

Service was largely good, though we did get a little tired of waiters, bar staff, cabin stewards, managers etc. interacting with our baby. Whilst the comments were very flattering and complimentary, it was often at meal times or as she was sleeping and she would then get distracted or woken up. A difficult addition to an already disrupted routine. I'm sure some staff must miss their own children hugely and given that the majority of people were middle aged, we were perhaps a bit of a novelty.

Finally, my perception of Ventura is that there are too many people who simply want ""Benidorm at Sea". There were a large number of people on board who I simply would not usually mix with (not would they with me). Putting it bluntly, there were a fair number of people who revelled in getting their rather fat, wobbly, tattooed bodies out at the first sign of sun. Beer and lager swilling builder types who complained at a well-behaved baby sitting quietly in the Red Bar (a wine bar on the 7th deck) as her parents enjoyed a well-earned glass of Sancerre. The same complainants then went on to ask for a pint of Stella and whinged when it wasn't on draught and only available in a bottle.

We are not snobs by any means, but the high contigency of blue-flag wearing Scots who converged on the ship was surprising. Perhaps more suited to the Gorbals, some of these folk insisted on going lobster red in the sun on Deck 15 interspersed with several pizzas and burgers from the fast food outlets and beers and cocktails from the bars. Hard for anybody in a lift who doesn't understand broad Glaswegian - "are yee gain doon?".

Personally, Ventura lacked class but this may not be the fault of the ship. Rather the fault of the the type of people who sail on it. We met some lovely people, usually late fifties or sixties, with lovely manners and refined tastes.

Deck 15 was, at times, absolute hell. My advice to future travellers: enjoy Ventura, avoid Deck 15 unless you like mixing with people who enjoy "Feeling hot hot hot" and "Hey Baby, Will You Be My Girl", whilst burning in the blazing sun and allowing their aggressive kids to hog the pool.

The Waterside is a trough, great for those people who haven't eaten since the last meal and feel compelled to pile their plates high with buffet food. I prefer table service and modified portions. Some people were clearly eating three courses every mealtime. Gluttony at its worst.

My picks are Deck 7 for enjoying the sea and like minded promenaders, Ramblas for tapas, East is the best restaurant on the ship, White Room is good but not as good as Luciano (MPW restaurant in Mayfair).

Enjoy the theatre shows - the Arena theatre is probably better equipped than most west end theatres. The shows are good and done to a high standard. Message to P&O - you may have untapped a new niche market in Ventura, albeit well-off or affluent C1s, C2s and C3s, but don't alienate your A's and B's. This isn't elitism - all markets are defined by their niche or demographic.

Ventura seeks to want to satisfy all people, when in reality it is probably a pikeys paradise where other less obnoxious or ostentatious people feel forced into suppressing their own personalities for fear of being considered "snobs" or "up themselves".

My wife and I, both in our early thirties, simply wanted to enjoy ourselves. The yob element on board was, at times, intimidating. Perhaps because of the different school holidays, most of this element were Scottish. (Being a Scot myself, I feel comfortable making this statement.) It may be okay for the nouveau riche of Glasgow or Edinburgh, but I would ask that next time such people venture south they bring their manners and courtesy with them.

We had a great time but would seriously consider doing a cruise outside of Scottish school holidays to avoid the neanderthals that were on our cruise. Harsh but true.

I'm sure I leave myself vulnerable to criticism by saying this, but I am sure I speak for many who daren't speak up. I don't want to share my space with men wearing blue t-shirts with saltire flags on, Glasgow Rangers flip-flops and tattoos of Rob Roy on horseback on their arms. You might as well invite the national front.

I was ashamed to be present in front of such people, and their rampant nationalism would not be allowed elsewhere. Security on board were excellent, but P&O really must address the type of dress that people were and remove the pikey element, otherwise this ship really will become a floating Butlins.

Wow thats some review.I know that Ventura is not everybody's cup of tea including mine but I think outright written abuse of fellow passengers is out of order.We were on Ventura earlier this year and although we have no desire to return we had a decent holiday. Perhaps we were lucky.Yes there were people on board who were not accustomed to Cruising and yes some of their dress was not to the standard normally associated with a P&O cruise but that is up to them or up to P&O to enforce the dress code.As for children, was the Cruise in question during School Holidays? In which case you must expect a fair number of kids on board.When we were on board there were a number of Kids and by and large they were well behaved.As for saying Marco Whites could not be compared to MPW restaurants ashore I think this is an unfair comparison.We found Marco Whites' White Room excellent.

Unfortunately I think that many of the problems surrounding Ventura is in P&O's court.They advertise Relaxed and Informal Evenings. Many would be passengers think that gives them the choice to dress just as they please and ignore the recommended code.Personally my wife and I always stick to the recommended dress code.I am addressing these comments to all potential Ventura Passengers and those already booked to reassure them that while Ventura is not my preferred choice many people will really enjoy the experience particulary first timers and families.But I do ask all future passengers to respect the surroundings and the dress code and you never know you might just enjoy it. Our experience with Ventura has not put us off Cruising with dear old P&O and have another 3 up our sleeve.Carry on Cruising !!!:confused:

I can see where the author is coming from with regards to the tattoo'd flag waving element. That type of scottish passenger got up my nose on a recent cruise. Probably my fault in letting in happen but as a firm believer in keeping up with tradition I was not impressed with their "up yours" attitude towards tradition and other passengers.

I should point out that the scots were not the only ones, there was a large contingent of valleys (welsh) people who were nearly just as embarrassing and annoying with their loud shouting and screeching.

I think it's unfair to blame the ship(s) for who sails on them, they can't control the TA's or booking centre's who are only there to put bums on seats.

Can you imagine the booking procedure at the initial stages of booking;

"How many tattoos do you have sir ?",

"Does your wife have the same amount of tattoos or more than you?",

"Would you say you have a coherent grasp of the english language and can put two sentences together?",

"What about your wife/partner or whatever you call her?"

"When you get drunk do you a) Fall asleep b) Beat everyone up or c) Pee on the next table ?

What is unfair would be to brand all scottish and welsh under the same banner, there were some amazingly wonderful people of all nationalities who were a joy to talk to.

Wow thats some review.I know that Ventura is not everybody's cup of tea including mine but I think outright written abuse of fellow passengers is out of order.We were on Ventura earlier this year and although we have no desire to return we had a decent holiday. Perhaps we were lucky.Yes there were people on board who were not accustomed to Cruising and yes some of their dress was not to the standard normally associated with a P&O cruise but that is up to them or up to P&O to enforce the dress code.

I don't wish to be a meany, but all the adverse reports regarding Ventura's "split personality" seem to be building up:

This link from CC reveals yet another whinge:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=52410

Text reproduced below:

quote:

Ventura - no thanks pixel.gif The flight from Manchester to Barbados (Thomson) was comfortable but the service was terrible and the food no better. The transfer to the ship and the embarkation was extremely efficient as usual in Barbados. On return we were delayed - expected these days - but service again was really poor. Cabins are absolutely fine - bathroom very tiny but OK.

Food in the Waterside was OK but the salad bar and cold buffet selection was the poorest I have ever seen. If you have been to a Pizza hut and paid £1 extra to allow you to go to the salad bar then this was it. Bowls of cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn, tasteless potato salad, chopped lettuce, pasta salad, and grated carrot - every day. You had the choice of wafer thin tasteless ham or crab sticks or a piece of smoked haddock. Never saw prawns or salmon as on other cruises.

Paid extra and ate at the Marco Pierre White restaurant on 3 occasions and also East Restaurant on another 3 nights. Well worth it.

Entertainment started OK with Neil Diamond look a like and a Rod Stewart look alike and then went down hill. There are no quiet bars for you to get away from the noise of everything else going on. Each bar is a thoroughfare, great for people watching but to have a nice quiet drink - no chance.

No games room if anyone wanted this. Should anyone want to play bridge, whist, or join in a quiz then all these activities were done in a restaurant with the waiters setting tables around you.

Sunbeds on sea days are a nightmare. They are so close together that you have to kneel on them and then turn around. One side of the ship was for non smokers but that did not stop anyone from smoking anywhere. The passengers could give the Germans a lesson on towels on sunbeds, not only did they reserve beds on one side of the ship, but on the other as well for when the sun moved. (By the way, they even reserve tables in the Waterside with the towels - I had a few moments in that restaurant). If you sat near the pool areas then ear plugs were required. The music is so loud, no chance of relaxing or reading at all. Sometimes it was not an option as there were no other sun beds. Children are unsupervised in the pools. Signs of no jumping or diving are displayed but obviously neither the children or the parents could read.

We are not an old couple but this ship is just a floating Butlins catering for families. Very little concern for anyone that has come on holiday for a rest, a chance of a quiet area somewhere, nice food and decent entertainment. You sat through acts that you would never have dreamed of going to see at home.

Ventura and maybe P & O not for us.

redcarat.gif Publication Date: 12/03/09

unqote

Ventura can't be all things to all cruisers. Customers previously knew precisely what they were getting with Ventura and the same with Ocean Village. And they purchased accordingly.

I respect the standards that P&O set out and used to stand by, and I would like to do a formal cruise or two in future. Right now I'm spending a lot of money getting what I can out of OV before she goes.

Informal cruising suits me for now, but I can understand why people get upset when they book a P&O cruise and get a more informal product than they expected.

When I do book a formal cruise I will expect it to be "as described" and not a mixed-up hybrid.

I'm not so sure it was a wind-up/troll Brillo, it probably did happen as I experienced on another shipping line.

I must admit it was the first time I'd come across this behaviour on a cruise but thankfully the areas those passengers kept to were not necessarily the places I used so the cruise wasn't entirely a disappointment. I certainly wouldn't blame the ship.

Sounds a lot worse than OV, we liked OV!!

One thing though, I agree that if P&O advertise these cruises as "informal & relaxed " then they will get passengers who look no further & take them at what they say.

The enigma is, JTD, I like the OV "informal and relaxed" informal thing and I have never experienced any extremes of dress, behaviour, bodily adornment, lack of sobriety, chavishness, etc while onboard. Just normal people enjoying their holidays in a civilised manner, no extremes of dress or behaviour, or even slovenly dress in the dining areas.

But as soon as P&O advertise the cruises on Ventura as "informal and relaxed", their customers report the extreme behaviour, and I really can't understand why this should be on Ventura which seems to be a grand vessel.

I really would like to try Ventura, et al, post Autumn 2010 but all this negativity with regard to the P&O brand is putting me off.

I need to move on post-OV and I thought that Ventura and Oceana were being moved in my direction to fill the vacuum, but now I'm not so sure...

The enigma is, JTD, I like the OV "informal and relaxed" informal thing and I have never experienced any extremes of dress, behaviour, bodily adornment, lack of sobriety, chavishness, etc while onboard. Just normal people enjoying their holidays in a civilised manner, no extremes of dress or behaviour, or even slovenly dress in the dining areas.

But as soon as P&O advertise the cruises on Ventura as "informal and relaxed", their customers report the extreme behaviour, and I really can't understand why this should be on Ventura which seems to be a grand vessel.

I really would like to try Ventura, et al, post Autumn 2010 but all this negativity with regard to the P&O brand is putting me off.

I need to move on post-OV and I thought that Ventura and Oceana were being moved in my direction to fill the vacuum, but now I'm not so sure...

I agree with that. Same thoughts here, was looking at Ventura post OV but I'm further put off by some of the posts like these.

Of course these will be the extremes (one hopes!) and you have to allow for the reviewers viewpoint and preconceptions but I have never seen any similar behaviour onboard any OV ships during the 80 days I've spent onboard.

Well I have just read two cruise reports on P&O cruise forum, by two people who were on the same cruise, one by somebody for who this was his second trip on Ventura, and also has two more planned, and another from a first time cruiser.

Both of these people had a great cruise, a few minor problems, but overall they thought the ship and the cruise was great.

I suppose like everything in life you pays your money you makes your choice, for some it turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread, for others their worst nightmare, but in the end only you can decide. You also have to experience it yourself before you can make an informed judgement.

I have been on Ventura and for me, would not hesitate to go again, I was also on it during a Scotland's half term, and there was a large contingent of Scots, I was not one of them.:D

Archived