Typical Ventura Passenger?

ROSEBASKETS

A lot of people who report bad behaviour (and I'm not talking specifically about any cruise line or ship here) seem to mention it being around the pool areas and sun decks. It sounds as though there are never enough sun beds which is obviously a cause for friction. Also, one person's fun may seem to be boisterous behaviour by others?

This may explain the schizophrenic nature of some ships as those who don't use these decks will not witness this behaviour?

Personally the only time I ever sit out on the open decks would be on the aft or promenade decks where you can enjoy the shade and some peace and quiet. The sun decks always have far too many people on them for me to be able to sit back and relax with my book (re-reading this it makes me sound old, which I'm not, but in this day and age I think silence is heaven)!

IMO I think the bad reports on certain P & O ships may be down to the advertising campaign P & O are currently on. To me they seem to be trying to run two entirely different cruise lines under the same umbrella. If Ventura is to be advertised as "friendly and informal" maybe they should readvertise tham as such in the same way as, I beleive Thompson offer a "small and friendly" brochure. Again imo, if they carry on as they are they could end up loosing may existing passengers.

IMO I think the bad reports on certain P & O ships may be down to the advertising campaign P & O are currently on. To me they seem to be trying to run two entirely different cruise lines under the same umbrella. If Ventura is to be advertised as "friendly and informal" maybe they should readvertise tham as such in the same way as, I beleive Thompson offer a "small and friendly" brochure. Again imo, if they carry on as they are they could end up loosing may existing passengers.

I agree entirely. It's all about customer expectation. Some customers are joining Ventura expecting the traditional P&O experience and others are looking forward to "friendly and informal" cruising as per the current brochure.

Result? A shock and disappointment to each group. The traditionalists feel affronted having made the effort to dress and when they see perceived slovenly types cocking a snook at the rules.

Those who have been tempted aboard by the misleading "friendly and informal" label without checking further feel wrong-footed and often adopt a hostile response if reminded of the rules.

Discord and disappointment all round, hence the bad reveiws.

All for the sake of loosing a brand it would appear.

If P&O Australia need more vessels to satisfy a burgeoning market - fine, particularly if the transferring OV ships fit in with what they already have in that theatre. But at what cost? I suspect that the company will pay dearly as both disillusioned ex-P&O and ex-OV customers move to other cruise lines outside the group.

As ovcruiser rightly suggests, trying to run two entirely different cruise lines under the same umbrella is a naive concept and a recipe for disaster.

IMO a schoolboy howler and a classic example of flawed marketing. I suspect that in future years marketing gurus will show these decisions a classic examples of how not to market a business and how to confuse and alienate your existing paying customers.

sheeper370

I partially agree with you about the misleading advertising. However I feel that some of the reports I have read about Ventura describe a type of rowdy behaviour that we're not used to seeing on OV either. This problem seems to me to be more than just attracting a casual cruiser element but more attracting people who are not used to cruising/behaving.

Whilst I love informal cruising I would never patronise any cruise line/ship which attracted rowdy behaviour. I really can't see how P and O would attract such persons as it doesn't fit with their ethos other than perhaps it is last minute cheap deals?

I also read this comment on the other site (it was not actually a review). I think the comments are offensive, classist and descend into crude stereotyping of a whole group of people. I also have no truck with rampant nationalism but this is only a small part of the criticism. When since did 'being fat' or having a 'tattoo' preclude you from a PO cruise? Smacks of fascism to me. I am relatively new to cruising but I really do find some comments on the various sites I visit, difficult to understand. What is really beind these comments?

I also read this comment on the other site (it was not actually a review). I think the comments are offensive, classist and descend into crude stereotyping of a whole group of people. I also have no truck with rampant nationalism but this is only a small part of the criticism. When since did 'being fat' or having a 'tattoo' preclude you from a PO cruise? Smacks of fascism to me. I am relatively new to cruising but I really do find some comments on the various sites I visit, difficult to understand. What is really beind these comments?

I agree with everything you say.

As for what's behind it: the British class system.

I wouldn't usually let negative comments put me off and try to keep an open mind but this thread has really made me think again about our intended booking on Ventura next year departing 24/04/2010.

I suspect that the ship may not be to our taste but we were still keen try it having been on the rest of the P&O fleet. However I think that the second week will be a school holiday (commencing 3rd May) - can anyone confirm that ?

If so I suspect that many parents will keep their kids off school in the first week as well in order to take the cruise. Has anyone cruised on Ventura at the same time this year and what was their experience ?

However I think that the second week will be a school holiday (commencing 3rd May) - can anyone confirm that ?

If so I suspect that many parents will keep their kids off school in the first week as well in order to take the cruise. Has anyone cruised on Ventura at the same time this year and what was their experience ?

I don't think it is much of a school holiday. Do a google search for 'school holiday dates May 2010' and you'll pull up a series of pages from various education authorities giving dates. The ones I checked seem to be giving just the single day - 3rd May, the bank holiday itself - as a school holiday. The summer-term half-term holiday is at the end of May, incorporating the Spring Bank Holiday and not at the beginning.

I haven't been on Ventura at that time of year but we were on her in autumn last year and we greatly enjoyed her. Here's a link to my blog pages about that cruise.

I don't think it is much of a school holiday. Do a google search for 'school holiday dates May 2010' and you'll pull up a series of pages from various education authorities giving dates. The ones I checked seem to be giving just the single day - 3rd May, the bank holiday itself - as a school holiday. The summer-term half-term holiday is at the end of May, incorporating the Spring Bank Holiday and not at the beginning.

I haven't been on Ventura at that time of year but we were on her in autumn last year and we greatly enjoyed her. Here's a link to my blog pages about that cruise.

I believe the Scots have their holidays earlier than England.

And wow, sounds like my type of holiday NOT!!:eek:

I believe the Scots have their holidays earlier than England.

Summer holidays, yes, but not spring - the dates of the statutory bank holidays (including Easter) tend to govern things. It look as if the dates for Scotland are the same as for England & Wales - just a single day in early May, a week in late May. Have a look at this website which gives dates for the West of Scotland. My assumption that these will be typical, and in any case includes Gasgow.

Why do so many people make an issue of 'lower class' people being on board a cruise? I know traditionally cruises were for people of a higher class but surely nowadays the value for money and choice available means that it is just a floating holiday resort. And let's face it, you get undesirable groups at the majority of holiday resorts throughout the world!

I wouldn't usually let negative comments put me off and try to keep an open mind but this thread has really made me think again about our intended booking on Ventura next year departing 24/04/2010.

I suspect that the ship may not be to our taste but we were still keen try it having been on the rest of the P&O fleet. However I think that the second week will be a school holiday (commencing 3rd May) - can anyone confirm that ?

Hi there

We cruised on this cruise last year on 24/04/09 and had a fabulous time. We too were a little apprehensive after reading bad reviews but after sailing on Ventura we can honestly say it was our best ever cruise and Ventura is now one of our favourites. In fact we are also booked to go on the 24/04/10 too!!!!!!! Yes there will be kids onboard but they are catered for well by the kids clubs. The only place where kids may annoy you is in the pools but there are 2 adult only pools you can use anyway. Ventura is definately different to other P and O ships but for us it was better probably because we have a young daughter. All I can say is go with an open mind and give her a chance!

With regards to school holidays - Easter is early this year and I'm pretty sure it coincides with the canaries cruise going out the week before. I'll try and find out for you

Sue

Every cruise will have a different mix of characters. As a pax you have no control over this (apart from travelling in or out of school holidays). Cruise A maybe amazing, cruise B a week later a let down. There are sooooooooo many variables that the only way you will know is to experience your cruise. I never listen to reviews and make my own mind up as i will do on Ventura in November.

To choose when to take a cruise forget about wasting time reviewing cruise ships, all you need and I can provide it, is a Scottish school calender so that you too can avoid the true horror of getting into a lift and having to listen to someone speaking in a different accent to yours. How dare this kind of passenger try to be helpful, P&O must put a stop to this.

Having spent my last cruise in the company of many English men and women, I would also like to enquire about school holidays. Does anyone know the exact date of the English holidays so I can avoid them?

When I go on holiday I do not like to be greeted with English accents enquiring where the nearest pub is…you have been on the ship for approximately five minutes…I know the English have a reputation as drunkards abroad, but do they really feel the need to cement these stereotypes within the first hour of being on board?

I have travelled throughout most of Europe and the general consensus is always the same: avoid holidaying with the English. I would, therefore, feel much better if I could have exact holiday dates of the English school system so I can avoid being mobbed by drunk skinheads, covered in tattoos…not to mention the men!!

I am sure the Welsh, or Valleys as one member so affectionately referred to them, will feel much the same as I do,

Thank you in advance for your help,

Roxy.

P.S Am I stereotyping large groups of people because of a few minorities? Yes…it isn’t very nice now is it?

Quite right!, welcome to the forum:) It's nice to hear the opinion of someone totally unbiased.

I have always found the Welsh to be extremely nice to other passengers that are not Welsh, they are usually too busy arguing amonst themselves with those from the North totally ignoring those from the South!

You can usually tell those people from North Wales when on a cruise, they are the ones speaking in english until the lift arrives and then they speak in Welsh to each other once someone else enters the lift, so that no one else can understand what they are saying, even those from there own country who dfon't speak the language!

But that's just a tattooed, beer swilling, thug with an eggagerated nothern accent with whippets and a flat cap speaking tha noz

Ooop's there I go again - very sorry, no offense meant, to any class, region or person of our wonderful United Kingdom. If I was in a tough spot in a foreign country surrounded by Johnny Foreigner I would be extremely pleased to hear anyone from the UK - we are all on the same side!!!!

God help me then going on a American ship on Monday....

Loud mouth bragging Americans in shorts too tight for them either as fat as a house or skinny barbie dolls - never normal sized -with cameras round their necks,:rolleyes::D

Have a nice day Yal!

p,s, can't wait haha lead me to that 14oz steak and one carrot

Oh don't get the started on the Americans! One of our waiters on RCI told me that they had to shorten the muenus on some cruises around the Carribean to only a choice of two starters, mains and desserts because a significant number of the Americans would be presented with a menu and would respond "Yes I'll have that", then demand that all the courses be served at the same time and some even wanted their starters mains and desserts served on a large tray rather than on plates all at once, goodness only knows how they kept the soup and gravy apart!

Hi there

We cruised on this cruise last year on 24/04/09 and had a fabulous time. We too were a little apprehensive after reading bad reviews but after sailing on Ventura we can honestly say it was our best ever cruise and Ventura is now one of our favourites. In fact we are also booked to go on the 24/04/10 too!!!!!!! Yes there will be kids onboard but they are catered for well by the kids clubs. The only place where kids may annoy you is in the pools but there are 2 adult only pools you can use anyway. Ventura is definately different to other P and O ships but for us it was better probably because we have a young daughter. All I can say is go with an open mind and give her a chance!

With regards to school holidays - Easter is early this year and I'm pretty sure it coincides with the canaries cruise going out the week before. I'll try and find out for you

Sue

Thanks Sue, that's great, very re-assuring. We always try to have an open mind and appreciate that there are different tastes (and tolerances!) We always wanted to try Ventura for oursleves and will probably go ahead with the booking now.

Damian

Hi there

Sue

Thanks Sue, that's great, very re-assuring. We always try to have an open mind and appreciate that there are different tastes (and tolerances!) We always wanted to try Ventura for oursleves and will probably go ahead with the booking now.

Damian

No worries Damian - just to let you know that the school holidays in our area (North Wales) are the 2nd to the 16th April 2010 and I believe English schools are pretty much the same give or take a day or two. Scotland has theirs slightly later - 6th to the 17th of April. So I wouldn't imagine their will be loads of kids onboard.

With regards to booking you cruise - make sure you play the travel agents off each other. There are some great deals to be had - we got £300 onboard credit and free car parking and a better price than we paid last year!!!!!! Hope you have a great cruise

Sue

The biggest problem with Ventura is not school children but the number of geriatrics on board.

I would hate to have to count the number of times geriatrics in buggys forced their way into the lifts, nearly run me down in corridors and on deck, and then complained if I did not get out of their way fast enough.

brillo

Having spent my last cruise in the company of many English men and women, I would also like to enquire about school holidays. Does anyone know the exact date of the English holidays so I can avoid them?

When I go on holiday I do not like to be greeted with English accents enquiring where the nearest pub is…you have been on the ship for approximately five minutes…I know the English have a reputation as drunkards abroad, but do they really feel the need to cement these stereotypes within the first hour of being on board?

I have travelled throughout most of Europe and the general consensus is always the same: avoid holidaying with the English. I would, therefore, feel much better if I could have exact holiday dates of the English school system so I can avoid being mobbed by drunk skinheads, covered in tattoos…not to mention the men!!

I am sure the Welsh, or Valleys as one member so affectionately referred to them, will feel much the same as I do,

Thank you in advance for your help,

Roxy.

P.S Am I stereotyping large groups of people because of a few minorities? Yes…it isn’t very nice now is it?

Roxy,

Point taken,

I'm Welsh married but childless, but looks for food and drink as soon as I board.

I'm sure I laugh a lot as well, particularly when I meet like minded people from all parts of the World.Probably far to loud for most peoples liking!

We're doing Ventura as the last part of the P&O Fleet in Jan '11, did the Easter Canaries cruise on Oriana this year, with many kids but the kids were fantastic, (they are so well provided for with kids clubs etc) weather was the problem!

I'm sorry if people haven't enjoyed their cruises, but I do hope they will try the other ships in the fleet because thay are so different.

Carl

I sailed on Ventura over Easter, with several hundred children on board. There were no problems whatsoever, my experience was totally different from that of this thread's originator. I had the best cruise ever.

Archived