can we join captain's table for dinner?

anywhere123

Good evening! It seems like people got invitation to have dinner with the captain. Do you know any way we could join captain's table? Thanks a lot!

Those days are long gone, we have not seen a Captains table for many years.

Although I have seen him dine but unless you are a VIP it does not happen. ;)

Maybe on the teenie ships?

Hi There,

The only thing to look forward to is do enough cruises to join the most travelled group on board a ship around the top 50 or so will get invited to a Captains circle Lunch, but not all captains do this.

The captain and top officers will be present, with around 8 guests per table.

So to get to the captains table you will have to have cruised a few thousand sea days .

yours Shogun

Hi There,

The only thing to look forward to is do enough cruises to join the most travelled group on board a ship around the top 50 or so will get invited to a Captains circle Lunch, but not all captains do this.

The captain and top officers will be present, with around 8 guests per table.

So to get to the captains table you will have to have cruised a few thousand sea days .

yours Shogun

It's the top 40 (persons, not couples) most travelled (days, not amount of cruises) that are invited to the luncheon and to sit with the Captain you need to be first, second or third.

It's the top 40 (persons, not couples) most travelled (days, not amount of cruises) that are invited to the luncheon and to sit with the Captain you need to be first, second or third.

Since you have quite a few cruise days, what has been the cutoff (on average) for the minimum number of cruises needed to attend.

Since you have quite a few cruise days, what has been the cutoff (on average) for the minimum number of cruises needed to attend.

Hard to say; no real average. We're at the point where we'll always make the cut, but just as an example........... on the Pacific in April, our friends who had 196 days made it and other friends who boarded with 321...this was their first time. An amazing span of days. You just never know what kind of travellers will be aboard any ship.

On one of our B2B's, we were 3rd most travelled on the first cruise and didn't make the cut for the luncheon on the 2nd. You just never know.

The cut off changes quite a bit. A few examples would be the 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise which has a lot of new cruisers or a few under their belt the cut off could be around 200 days give or take 20 days. However, on a longer cruise like the Panama Canal for 19 days the cut off this May was 278 to make the luncheon. The Captain can either select a luncheon on a sea day or a cocktail party with primere canapes at skywalkers. When we sailed B2B we found out that some Captains change it every other week. They have a luncheon one week and a cocktail party the next. However, we also found out some Captains always do the luncheon. I like them both. The luncheon has a great ambiance and the food is superb. However, the cocktail party is more fun to socialize with the Senior Officers. The guest all receive a photgraph of them withthe Capt and the wines are offered throughout the entire meal.

On HAL a few years back we got to go to a cocktail/canape affair, dine with the ship's doc everynight (plentiful comped GOOD wine), and dine with the captain one night. I think every full suite passenger got assigned to some officer's table for dining.

I don't think other lines do this as a suite perk routinely.

I know it is not dinner with the Captain, but on HAL if you are in a full suite, you are invited to a cocktail party with the captain and other officers where they take individual pictures and serve snacks and drinks. Also, you are invited to a suite only luncheon at the Pinnacle Grill that various high ranking crew circulate and join different tables. It was a very nice experience.

Kathie

Hard to say; no real average. We're at the point where we'll always make the cut, but just as an example........... on the Pacific in April, our friends who had 196 days made it and other friends who boarded with 321...this was their first time. An amazing span of days. You just never know what kind of travellers will be aboard any ship.

On one of our B2B's, we were 3rd most travelled on the first cruise and didn't make the cut for the luncheon on the 2nd. You just never know.

One of our recent cruises the cut was around 600 - can you beat that?

We were fortunate enough a few years ago (Wilma) to have sat at the Captains table for lunch on both legs of a B2B - two different ships, same Captain - Nash.

Ron

I am elite and have 178 days. I think I was the the "40th" person because I sat at a table with the Captain Circle Hostess and the other people at my table had similar amount of days. One couple sitting with the captain had 400 days, I think.

It is a really lovely lunch!

Another idea is to book the Chef's Table. The captain usually shows up for the hors d'oeuvres.

I am elite and have 178 days. I think I was the the "40th" person because I sat at a table with the Captain Circle Hostess and the other people at my table had similar amount of days. One couple sitting with the captain had 400 days, I think.

It is a really lovely lunch!

Another idea is to book the Chef's Table. The captain usually shows up for the hors d'oeuvres.

I now have 179, so I guess if you made it with 178, I will be a lock. :)

If all my sailing had been on Princess I would be invited to almost every one. ;)

The cut off changes quite a bit. A few examples would be the 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise which has a lot of new cruisers or a few under their belt the cut off could be around 200 days give or take 20 days. However, on a longer cruise like the Panama Canal for 19 days the cut off this May was 278 to make the luncheon. The Captain can either select a luncheon on a sea day or a cocktail party with primere canapes at skywalkers. When we sailed B2B we found out that some Captains change it every other week. They have a luncheon one week and a cocktail party the next. However, we also found out some Captains always do the luncheon. I like them both. The luncheon has a great ambiance and the food is superb. However, the cocktail party is more fun to socialize with the Senior Officers. The guest all receive a photgraph of them withthe Capt and the wines are offered throughout the entire meal.

We were at one of the after dinner affairs & thought the food was to much to enjoy. Since every one had already eaten, hardly a thing was touched. Had I known what was going to be set out I would have skipped dinner altogether.

We made the cut off for the captain's lucheon several times before we made Elite Status. And several times since. But occasionally, we don't, even with just under 250 days sailed on Princess.

I agree that it just all depends on how many Elite passengers are sailing on your cruise.

Paul, we had not made Elite yet on our 2004 Tahitian Princess cruise, and we were seated with the Staff Captain, which I think is the second highest. I have to admit, I was shocked. But the smaller ships, depending on the itineary and passenger make up onboard, may give you a bit more of a chance.

The best lunch we ever had at one of these lucheons was actually on the Tahitian Princess. The larger ships, so far I have not been all that impressed.

Hi There,

You need to do some forward planning and look for the cruises that attract a lot of first time cruisers, or a younger crowd with lots of kids.

That way you might make it with only a few hundred sea days.

yours Shogun

If all my sailing had been on Princess I would be invited to almost every one. ;)

If all my sailing had been on Princess I would be in better number than I am. :D Miserable sentence, but you know what I mean.

We were at one of the after dinner affairs & thought the food was to much to enjoy. Since every one had already eaten, hardly a thing was touched. Had I known what was going to be set out I would have skipped dinner altogether.

Tell me about it? We are past the 40 cruise mark now, and only 23 of them have been with Princess..............! One of these days, I might have to look back and see what our actual days at sea come to.....if my memory can look back that far. lol

Hi There,

You need to do some forward planning and look for the cruises that attract a lot of first time cruisers, or a younger crowd with lots of kids.

That way you might make it with only a few hundred sea days.

yours Shogun

While I would like to be invited to the Captain's Luncheon, I don't think I care enough to book a cruise based on the likelihood of an invite.

Tell me about it? We are past the 40 cruise mark now, and only 23 of them have been with Princess..............! One of these days, I might have to look back and see what our actual days at sea come to.....if my memory can look back that far. lol

I guess I am smarter than you , it only took me three non-Princess cruises to hook me on Princess. :)

Hi Paul,

Only a thought, about to try and get an invite,

marrying a captain would help but I think there is only one lady captain,

having been to only one luncheon, I was very surprised to be told quite a

few who are invited to not attend.

Having only cruised two other cruise lines before spotting the Golden Princess as she docked and towered over us does this make me smarter than you.icon10.gif

yours shogun

Archived