Airline Baggage charges to Seattle

Kayelache

We are sailing on the Volendam from Seattle to Hong Kong in September, returning by air to Seattle. (Our cruise package includes that air from Hong Kong to Seattle) We live in Phoenix, AZ so are in the process of trying to find a flight- PHX-SEA-PHX. I've found some that will work, but when you add the baggage charges, $15 for the first checked bag, and $25 for the second, that's an extra $80 for each of us each way. That's on Alaska and Delta airlines. Does anyone know if US Air also charges for checked bags? Southwest does not charge for checked bags, but their schedules require us to stay overnight in Seattle (no late afternoon or evening flights)- I'm sure the two of us can find a hotel for less that $160. Our return flight from Hong Kong gets into San Fransisco where we clear customs, then fly on to Seattle, arriving there at 4PM. Any ideas?

We are sailing on the Volendam from Seattle to Hong Kong in September, returning by air to Seattle. (Our cruise package includes that air from Hong Kong to Seattle) We live in Phoenix, AZ so are in the process of trying to find a flight- PHX-SEA-PHX. I've found some that will work, but when you add the baggage charges, $15 for the first checked bag, and $25 for the second, that's an extra $80 for each of us each way. That's on Alaska and Delta airlines. Does anyone know if US Air also charges for checked bags? Southwest does not charge for checked bags, but their schedules require us to stay overnight in Seattle (no late afternoon or evening flights)- I'm sure the two of us can find a hotel for less that $160. Our return flight from Hong Kong gets into San Fransisco where we clear customs, then fly on to Seattle, arriving there at 4PM. Any ideas?

USAir charges $15 for the first bag if you book it online ($20 if you do it at the counter).. and $25 for the second bag.

You're right in saying that WN/Southwest are the only airline that don't charge for luggage on this route. AS/Alaska Air recently started to charge, but their charge is a guarantee that your luggage will arrive at the baggage claim within 25 mins of the plane reaching the gate. Of the US domestic airlines, Alaska is right up there in terms of quality of service, it's what I would pick for the routing.

However, before deciding on any of this, I would check and see if the cruise air portion can be completely out of PHX rather than SEA. Your outbound would still be PHX-SEA, but your inbound might be simplified to HKG-SFO-PHX. Also if HKG-(USA)-PHX is on a single ticket, you wont pay for baggage on that routing.

We are taking a cruise in August of 2010 and finding the same problems that you are. The timing of getting from here in Phoenix to Seattle without spending a night is tricky. You could try Allegiant airlines. They fly out of the Williams Gateway airport. I know they only have select flights at select times so the choices from them will be very limited. Price wise they are great, and the airport is much more user friendly than Sky Harbor. Allegiant flies into Bellingham, Washington. That is about 90 miles from Seattle. If you have to spend a night anyway, it might be worth figuring out transportation from Bellingham to Seattle if you can save on baggage fees from Allegiant.

Elation-------Mexico------2002

Spirit---------Alaska------2010

Archived