Maui questions

love2cruiseseattle

Aloha,

Again, it just depends on the swells. October is usually the time when the north swells are starting up, but we get south swells still as well. So, it may be great snorkeling near Wailea one day-and surfing the next, if the swell changes direction. Your hotel staff should be able to help, this is kind of one of those "standards" most hotels or condos keep an eye on, so as to help their guests enjoy their time safely. Most of our beaches on Maui do not have lifeguards, though the beaches near the bigger resort areas often do have flags for different conditions. Yellow is used for caution, to indicate that the ocean may be rougher than usual and subject to some stronger currents. Red is stop-just like a traffic light. It indicates not only rough water but rip currents. Lots of broken bones when folks ignore red flags.

Aloha,

Again, it just depends on the swells. October is usually the time when the north swells are starting up, but we get south swells still as well. So, it may be great snorkeling near Wailea one day-and surfing the next, if the swell changes direction. Your hotel staff should be able to help, this is kind of one of those "standards" most hotels or condos keep an eye on, so as to help their guests enjoy their time safely. Most of our beaches on Maui do not have lifeguards, though the beaches near the bigger resort areas often do have flags for different conditions. Yellow is used for caution, to indicate that the ocean may be rougher than usual and subject to some stronger currents. Red is stop-just like a traffic light. It indicates not only rough water but rip currents. Lots of broken bones when folks ignore red flags.

thanks once again for this great information. Don't worry we will only be WATCHING:p, I don't even know how to swim.:eek:

Aloha,

If you have more q's I'll be happy to try and assist further.

Thank you for your offer :)

I found a wonderful website where they suggest some itineraries to visit the Islands. I found two that interest me in Maui. One is to do the coast until Makena State Park and come back.

The other one is "upcountry" It starts at Kahului airport and go to La Pérouse and come back by Makawao, Pa'ia and end at Kahului. They estimate a journey of 4 hours with stops at different sites (Kula 's Botanical gardens, Grand-Ma's Coffee House, Tedeschi Winery, etc.).

Since we leave from Kapalua and not Kahului, I know that we won't have time to do the whole trip.

My question is : should we go until La Pérouse, turn around and go back to Kapalua at Kula, or turn before and go to Makawao and Pa'ia. Also I noticed on the map, than we can take another route (Pulehu Road) instead of the hwy 37. Do you recommend it ?

Thank you so much for your answer. :) Have a great day

P.-S. In Canada, we are having a very bad summer so far, lots of rain and no heat. I can't wait to be in Hawaii :)

Thank you for your offer :)

I found a wonderful website where they suggest some itineraries to visit the Islands. I found two that interest me in Maui. One is to do the coast until Makena State Park and come back.

The other one is "upcountry" It starts at Kahului airport and go to La Pérouse and come back by Makawao, Pa'ia and end at Kahului. They estimate a journey of 4 hours with stops at different sites (Kula 's Botanical gardens, Grand-Ma's Coffee House, Tedeschi Winery, etc.).

Since we leave from Kapalua and not Kahului, I know that we won't have time to do the whole trip.

My question is : should we go until La Pérouse, turn around and go back to Kapalua at Kula, or turn before and go to Makawao and Pa'ia. Also I noticed on the map, than we can take another route (Pulehu Road) instead of the hwy 37. Do you recommend it ?

Thank you so much for your answer. :) Have a great day

P.-S. In Canada, we are having a very bad summer so far, lots of rain and no heat. I can't wait to be in Hawaii :)

Could you please let me know what website you found these trips on, I would really appreciate it. I was also given a recommendation at our local book store for a book titled "Maui Revealed", many people say it is a great book, will start reading it in the next week.

Sorry to hear you are having a wet and cool summer, the west coast Seattle and Vancouver are in the 80's and will be hitting the 90's later this week.

Could you please let me know what website you found these trips on, I would really appreciate it. I was also given a recommendation at our local book store for a book titled "Maui Revealed", many people say it is a great book, will start reading it in the next week.

Sorry to hear you are having a wet and cool summer, the west coast Seattle and Vancouver are in the 80's and will be hitting the 90's later this week.

Aloha, all! After several hot muggy days, we have a beautiful morning here in Maui! Sorry you aren't here to enjoy it (yet).

In keeping with my reputation for frank honesty, please allow me to broach a subject I've tried to ignore. The book "Maui Revealed" is a good book in many ways, but has caused a number of problems over the years. The authors incorrectly described property as public, and when contacted, refused to change their descriptions. It led to the books being pulled from shelves for a while, and though I understand some of the misinformation has been corrected, I have been told that there is still a lot which isn't accurate. I would not rely on their restaurant reviews at all--and anyone carrying this book around needs to know that it is not, not a welcome sight to many locals. Perception is everything...and the common perception about the book is that it recommends trespassing onto private property and isn't unbiased about other issues. Just "da coconut wireless" talk.:)

Ref Pulehu Road, I wouldn't take it. It's not really any shortcut or prettier drive-and will in fact be slower than taking Haleakala Highway to either the Lower Kula Road or the upper (which is called Kekaulike Avenue). Kekaulike "begins" at the intersection of the Haleakala Highway and the Crater Road, and extends to the Keokea area, where it joins the lower Kula Highway. The lower road runs from near Pukalani down to the Keokea etc. area. I used to suggest to guests that they take one road one direction, and the second route the other way-upper outbound, lower return, for example.

The junction near Kepkea is not all the way to Ulupalakua, where the winery is. La Perouse is farther yet. I think you will enjoy going as far as Keokea and calling it quits....then trying to hit Makawao at least, on the return.

You might also want to check some of my earlier posts-I gave some other ideas and details about the Upcountry and East shore areas there.

Does this help...or just confuse you?:confused:

Here is the link to the website for the itineraries :

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotg.htm

Hope it helps. :)

Aloha, all! After several hot muggy days, we have a beautiful morning here in Maui! Sorry you aren't here to enjoy it (yet).

I'm sorry too !!!

I'm not sure ;) I think I understand that we should drive down the Kula Hwy to Keokea and than come back to Makawao. Is it because Makawao is more interesting than the Winery and La Perouse, or just a question of time.

I have to tell you that English is not my first language (I'am French Canadian), so be patient with me :o.

Thank you for your help. :)

In keeping with my reputation for frank honesty, please allow me to broach a subject I've tried to ignore. The book "Maui Revealed" is a good book in many ways, but has caused a number of problems over the years. The authors incorrectly described property as public, and when contacted, refused to change their descriptions. It led to the books being pulled from shelves for a while, and though I understand some of the misinformation has been corrected, I have been told that there is still a lot which isn't accurate. I would not rely on their restaurant reviews at all--and anyone carrying this book around needs to know that it is not, not a welcome sight to many locals. Perception is everything...and the common perception about the book is that it recommends trespassing onto private property and isn't unbiased about other issues. Just "da coconut wireless" talk.:)

Ref Pulehu Road, I wouldn't take it. It's not really any shortcut or prettier drive-and will in fact be slower than taking Haleakala Highway to either the Lower Kula Road or the upper (which is called Kekaulike Avenue). Kekaulike "begins" at the intersection of the Haleakala Highway and the Crater Road, and extends to the Keokea area, where it joins the lower Kula Highway. The lower road runs from near Pukalani down to the Keokea etc. area. I used to suggest to guests that they take one road one direction, and the second route the other way-upper outbound, lower return, for example.

The junction near Kepkea is not all the way to Ulupalakua, where the winery is. La Perouse is farther yet. I think you will enjoy going as far as Keokea and calling it quits....then trying to hit Makawao at least, on the return.

You might also want to check some of my earlier posts-I gave some other ideas and details about the Upcountry and East shore areas there.

Thanks for the heads up on the book, I do NOT want to offend anyone in Maui, so I will read it, but leave it at home. If I do have any questions I will post on these boards. Our main plan is the RELAX and enjoy the warm weather and the beautiful sites of Maui.

Right now in the Seattle area we are experiencing a heat wave it is supposed to be in the 90's this week, so we will have plenty of sunshine. I hope the weather in late October will be warm and sunny in Maui.

Thanks again for all of the helpful information I have rec'd on this site.

I'm not sure ;) I think I understand that we should drive down the Kula Hwy to Keokea and than come back to Makawao. Is it because Makawao is more interesting than the Winery and La Perouse, or just a question of time.

I have to tell you that English is not my first language (I'am French Canadian), so be patient with me :o.

Thank you for your help. :)

No need to apologize, I can't speak a word of French (well, maybe one or two)! Of course, it depends on what you want to see-but I had the impression you wanted to cover as many different areas of Maui as possible. If so, then yes, my suggestion was based on trying to see different things in a limited time. If, on the other hand, you are more "beach" oriented or "scenic ocean" folks, then you may want to do La Perouse etc. The winery is quaint, but not like Napa Valley or something...sometimes I had guests who thought it would be and were disappointed, so I try to let people know it's not that big.

The biggest problem is there's probably just not enough time to truly enjoy Maui and all there is to see and do! You can make a 'dent' in it without killing yourselves, and we will still be here when you come back for another visit.:)

Hi West Maui (and all other Maui experts). We are in the early planning stages for a land based vacation next March. We hope to rent a condo where we will have excellent whale watching from the Lanai. We also are looking for a quieter and less crowded area. We are not as concerned about the beach itself, but more about the view and whale watching....

Any suggestions about general locations or specific condos would be most welcome.

Mahalo!

No need to apologize, I can't speak a word of French (well, maybe one or two)! Of course, it depends on what you want to see-but I had the impression you wanted to cover as many different areas of Maui as possible. If so, then yes, my suggestion was based on trying to see different things in a limited time. If, on the other hand, you are more "beach" oriented or "scenic ocean" folks, then you may want to do La Perouse etc. The winery is quaint, but not like Napa Valley or something...sometimes I had guests who thought it would be and were disappointed, so I try to let people know it's not that big.

The biggest problem is there's probably just not enough time to truly enjoy Maui and all there is to see and do! You can make a 'dent' in it without killing yourselves, and we will still be here when you come back for another visit.:)

Thank you so much for your help. We will try to make the best of our short time on your beautiful island. :)

Hi West Maui (and all other Maui experts). We are in the early planning stages for a land based vacation next March. We hope to rent a condo where we will have excellent whale watching from the Lanai. We also are looking for a quieter and less crowded area. We are not as concerned about the beach itself, but more about the view and whale watching....

Any suggestions about general locations or specific condos would be most welcome.

Mahalo!

You will have a great whale watching in Kahana. The area is sheltered by both Molokini and Lanai, and its channel is shallow and warm - exactly to whales liking. Get a beach front condo on the ground floor. You'll have the front row seat for the show. Kahana is a little north of Kaanapali, is a convenient location for dining and shopping, but not as crazy as Lahaina. By the way the best place to swim with turtles is Makena.

You will have a great whale watching in Kahana. The area is sheltered by both Molokini and Lanai, and its channel is shallow and warm - exactly to whales liking. Get a beach front condo on the ground floor. You'll have the front row seat for the show. Kahana is a little north of Kaanapali, is a convenient location for dining and shopping, but not as crazy as Lahaina. By the way the best place to swim with turtles is Makena.
Thanks...we had been looking at a smaller condo development called Kahana Reef, so this sounds promising!

One of the best places to watch whales is The Mahana At Kaanaplai. Its not located in the main part of Kaanapali, so its not so busy. I maintain the A/C system on the roof and I have seen so many whales, turtles large fish and sometimes a Hawaiian Monk seal from up there. If you get a room on the 12th floor you wont be disappointed. I have not seen a better view at any of the other places we take care of Island wide. Its right on the beach and from the 12th you are looking kind of down on them. Great for pictures. In the morning the sun comes up from behind the building and it casts a shadow on the ocean, the fish swim in the shadow of the building in large schools. Anyway you can take a look at it it @ http://themahana.com Hope this helps.

One of the best places to watch whales is The Mahana At Kaanaplai. Its not located in the main part of Kaanapali, so its not so busy. I maintain the A/C system on the roof and I have seen so many whales, turtles large fish and sometimes a Hawaiian Monk seal from up there. If you get a room on the 12th floor you wont be disappointed. I have not seen a better view at any of the other places we take care of Island wide. Its right on the beach and from the 12th you are looking kind of down on them. Great for pictures. In the morning the sun comes up from behind the building and it casts a shadow on the ocean, the fish swim in the shadow of the building in large schools. Anyway you can take a look at it it @ http://themahana.com Hope this helps.
This place looks stunning...Thanks!!

Mahalo!

Good morning! Sorry I didn't answer you till now, but good to see other recommendations being posted.

One caution about condos/hotels in Hawaii: "oceanfront" vs. "oceanview". Oceanfront should be exactlt that-on the closest point to the beach. Oceanview can mean acrobatic stances are necessary to see a sliver of water. So, when booking any property, make sure you are reserving what you think you are. It will cost more for oceanfront properties, and full oceanfront rooms or condos-but if you are looking for that lanai which fronts the ocean, it's worth it.

Ka'anapali has a number of condo properties. The Ali'i is very expensive, lovely oceanfront setting. Another option is Maui Ka'anapali Villas. It is a large, older property, with numerous buildings-two of which are oceanfront and a 6 story tower with full oceanview units on the 'front' side.

The Mahana is actually Honokawai, not Ka'anapali. It is next to a new resort called Honua Kai. Honua Kai is offering some very good deals right now, and is just north of M. Ka'anapali Villas and the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort (a time share property). Remember too that the beach area thins considerably once you go past Honua Kai-the beach is skinnier and there are more rocky areas.

Beyond the Mahana, there are a number of condos. Ka'anapali Shores, Papakea, the Maui Beach Club, etc., etc....then in Kahana there are more. The Sands of Kahana, the Outrigger Royal Kahana (ALL oceanfront units), and more. The Outrigger has a great perch......not a lot of beach in front of it, but the units are very large and well priced.

Farther up the coast, Napili Shores and Napili Kai are also popular. Kapalua, there always the new Ritz Club ($$$$$!!!!).

If I were you, I'd look at the 'majors', such as Outrigger and Aston, at least for ideas. Remember that condos are privately owned and decorated-these are not going to be identical units as in a hotel. If one books with a major player and there's a problem, the staff will seek resolution and guest satisfaction. If one books with an owner direct or smaller service, there may not be options available if the unit has 'issues'.:(

Good morning! Sorry I didn't answer you till now, but good to see other recommendations being posted.

One caution about condos/hotels in Hawaii: "oceanfront" vs. "oceanview". Oceanfront should be exactlt that-on the closest point to the beach. Oceanview can mean acrobatic stances are necessary to see a sliver of water. So, when booking any property, make sure you are reserving what you think you are. It will cost more for oceanfront properties, and full oceanfront rooms or condos-but if you are looking for that lanai which fronts the ocean, it's worth it.

Ka'anapali has a number of condo properties. The Ali'i is very expensive, lovely oceanfront setting. Another option is Maui Ka'anapali Villas. It is a large, older property, with numerous buildings-two of which are oceanfront and a 6 story tower with full oceanview units on the 'front' side.

The Mahana is actually Honokawai, not Ka'anapali. It is next to a new resort called Honua Kai. Honua Kai is offering some very good deals right now, and is just north of M. Ka'anapali Villas and the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort (a time share property). Remember too that the beach area thins considerably once you go past Honua Kai-the beach is skinnier and there are more rocky areas.

Beyond the Mahana, there are a number of condos. Ka'anapali Shores, Papakea, the Maui Beach Club, etc., etc....then in Kahana there are more. The Sands of Kahana, the Outrigger Royal Kahana (ALL oceanfront units), and more. The Outrigger has a great perch......not a lot of beach in front of it, but the units are very large and well priced.

Farther up the coast, Napili Shores and Napili Kai are also popular. Kapalua, there always the new Ritz Club ($$$$$!!!!).

If I were you, I'd look at the 'majors', such as Outrigger and Aston, at least for ideas. Remember that condos are privately owned and decorated-these are not going to be identical units as in a hotel. If one books with a major player and there's a problem, the staff will seek resolution and guest satisfaction. If one books with an owner direct or smaller service, there may not be options available if the unit has 'issues'.:(

Thanks!!! this is really great information to have. It sounds like there are quite a few good options:)

You'll have great whale watching in any property in Kaanapali, Honokawai, or Kahana, though Kaanapali area is too crowded to my taste. Watching whales from high up just isn't the same. I'd definitely get a ground floor ocean front unit. It's the difference of a center orchestra and balconey seat at a theater. You can just walk out a mere few feet and watch them jump at the eye level. They are so close you feel like you get splashed. I always had best luck with whale watching in the second or third week of February.

You'll have great whale watching in any property in Kaanapali, Honokawai, or Kahana, though Kaanapali area is too crowded to my taste. Watching whales from high up just isn't the same. I'd definitely get a ground floor ocean front unit. It's the difference of a center orchestra and balconey seat at a theater. You can just walk out a mere few feet and watch them jump at the eye level. They are so close you feel like you get splashed. I always had best luck with whale watching in the second or third week of February.
Sounds fantastic! We probably won't be able to go until late March this year due to spring break schedules...last time we visited in early January and were blown away by the amount of breaching and fin slapping going on. Time to start searching VRBO:)

• 3 weeks later...

There used to be sunrise van tours, I'm sure there still are. Ekahi had a good one but reports on this site indicate they're not responding (or weren't) to emails, so I am not sure about that. You might just search for "Sunrise tours" and see what pops up. The bike companies will take non-bike riders, but at the same or almost the same price as a bike rider, and it's not cheap. The bike ride will also take much longer overall than either a van tour or doing it on your own.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I sent Ekahi an email and heard back the next day. Also, the lady who responded, Tracy, has been very helpful.:)

• 1 month later...

Aloha, any suggestions for evening/night activity within walking distance of the pier at Kahului? We will be on the PoA in May 2010. Doing the RTH on Day 1 in Maui and Wailea Beach on Day 2. Looking for something to do during the evening of Day 1 (if not too tired from a full day of RTH). Not interested in getting rental car; would need activity within walking distance. Many thanks!

Don't miss the Old Lahaina luau...their dancers are usually in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. It's absolutely the BEST luau. We had gone to others, but this is the best. We also did the whale watch (RCCL's), and that was something we won't ever forget, and went to a beach (can't remember the name).

Don't miss the Old Lahaina luau...their dancers are usually in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. It's absolutely the BEST luau. We had gone to others, but this is the best. We also did the whale watch (RCCL's), and that was something we won't ever forget, and went to a beach (can't remember the name).

Unless the person is already renting a car and wants to cut his/her RTH trip real short, then there is probably not enough time to head to Lahaina for the lua. :( I have thought about this extensively because I'd like to do both. And there is CERTAINLY not enough time, if the OP is doing a RTH paid excursion.

• 1 year later...
Unless the person is already renting a car and wants to cut his/her RTH trip real short, then there is probably not enough time to head to Lahaina for the lua. :( I have thought about this extensively because I'd like to do both. And there is CERTAINLY not enough time, if the OP is doing a RTH paid excursion.

Funny how a year and a half and more research has made the difference. I am now renting a car and doing both. We're doing the Feast at Lele for a couple of reasons, but one is because it starts slightly later than Old Lahaina luau. The plan of attack is to drive all the way to 7 Sacred Pools immediately after disembarking and getting rental car and then stopping along the way on the way back...this way we'll have a better idea of the timing. It may not be ideal, but I really wanted to do both, soooooo.....:)

I'll have to let you know how it works out upon return in August.

Archived